Iron on Batterman logoView previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddy Sicks

Post Posted: 02/17/17 2:45 am    Post subject: Iron on Batterman logo Reply with quote
I've gotten quite a bit into collecting vintage 59Fiftys lately, and have basically been scouring E Bay for different hats for about a year now. And now I FINALLY found one of my all time favorite caps, an early 90s Cincinnati Reds (Pre black dropshadow) 59Fifty, and was able to pick up two(!) of them. It's a pretty simple cap, but it's seriously the cap that got me into collecting 59Fiftys. My first Little League team was the Reds, and one of my team mates lost his cap. Because if this, his mom had to buy him a Fitted Reds cap because they were in a jam and couldn't find any of the adjustable caps (This was the mid 1990s in Lake Tahoe, so the options were pretty limited). I was absolutely FASCINATED by the idea of a fitted baseball cap, and it absolutely blew my mind because back then I assumed all baseball caps were adjustable (Again, I was in the second grade Razz). Damn that thing was fancy! And it was like $25, too! $25 for a hat?! That's crazy!

I've wanted this cap ever since, but by the time I was able to start putting my own cash into things like fitted hats, the Reds had already switched to the awful dropshadowed messes they wear now (Which have been around an astonishing amount of time by now, come to think about it).

And as an added bonus? Both caps have the iron on MLB logo!

That's such a cool little feature. I've got quite a few cool vintage 59Fiftys, but this is BY FAR my favorite one. The iron on logo was only a one year thing (I think 1993), right? Did all teams do this,or just a few? And were they all RWB? I know there are even more rare vintage pins that came before these, but this is still a pretty sweet feature.

Anyone else have any of these vintage caps with the iron on Batterman logos?
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/17/17 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's cool story about the origins of your collecting. I'm a few years older than you. The one Little League team I was on we were the same color as the Phillies. We won the championship that year and I made the All-Star team. So, the 80s Phillies hat has always been one of my favorites.

My understanding is 1992 was the first use of the batterman, it was glued on. This was worn by all teams. 1993 they were embroidered, with the exception of dead stock, of course.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/17/17 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My dad and I had Braves caps with the iron-on MLB batterman. My dad probably still has his, but unfortunately about 9 months after my parents bought me one, some jerk stole it out of my locker. My parents never again bought me a baseball cap and it might be the reason why I started collecting. I'm still chasing that 1992 Braves cap....
Guy Gadbois
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 02/17/17 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This would have made a perfect post for the 'Cap with a story' thread. Great read, Fiddy! Totally agree with you about the dropshadow thing btw. This Reds cap is a classic and should not have been touched.

I think I was on the Orioles and Pirates in LL. My piano teacher eventually said I had to choose between her and continuing with LL and I went with the piano. Awful decision. lol

I've somehow managed to get three or so glue-job batterman logos out of the five or so nineties DC's I own. One is a hand-me-down that was beat to hell and the logo is still firmly attached. A far cry from the glued on flags that are already falling off some caps.
HOUNDDOG
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/17/17 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, it was either '92 or 1993. I have one of the old pinstriped Reds lids with the glued on batterman as well as the Angels, Indians, Brewers and Rangers. Its a neat little feature.
baby dhibs
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/17/17 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm surprised they ever did a glued-on batterman for the pinstriped Reds, I got one as soon as they dropped in late 1992 or early 1993 and it was sewn-on.
Fiddy Sicks

Post Posted: 03/06/17 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I ended up with two of these (One in my size and one a size above). The one in a size above is a nice display cap and fits well enough, but the one in my size (which is the cap pictured above) just fit too wonky. I decided to make that cap my knock-around cap, and wore it in the shower, then all day to dry. The front two panels were absolutely JACKED UP. Kinda thought I ruined it.

Then I bought the Re-Cap. Yes, this is the exact same cap as shown above...

Fits like a glove. There's the one spot on the front panel in the third picture, but in most lighting situations, it's barely visible.

They really don't make em like they used to. They basically didn't have the need for separate "low crown" caps back then, because you could just make your own! Razz

Also, if you own a ton of hats, do yourself a favor and pick up Nu-Cap or Re-Cap. There have been a ton of people on here who swear by it, and I'm right there with them. I've basically restored my entire collection since I picked it up. Hats that have NEVER fit well due to wonky front panels have been totally restored, and hats that were filthy and wrecked I've been able to wash and look brand spanking new now.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/06/17 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That looks great. The old wool caps are the best. It doesn't take much to break them in and they are so comfortable.

I agree about the re-cap. If you buy any caps off of ebay, this is a must. I have had a lot of caps come in pretty messed up from idiots not knowing how to ship a hat.
jchcollins

Post Posted: 04/04/17 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've resisted the Re-Cap for a while now, and have bought more than a few old wool caps off of eBay. Maybe it's because most start out too large for me (my normal size is 7 1/8...) but I've been able to beat most into shape to look decent just by steaming the crown over a pot of water for 10-15 mins. Did this on about a 1985 Cubs cap (pre- Diamond Collection tagging) with the larger sweat holes in the crown.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: