2017 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingIndian

Post Posted: 07/15/17 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't posted in a while but hatguru is spot on! Every special eventcap the players have wore dating back to last season have been USA made. I just purchased the HR Derby and All Star game Red Sox caps on eBay from naplestreasures in Miami and they are USA made. I love them! And unlike the China HR derby caps these have all six eyelets instead of just the 2 front panels.
CMPunk
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/15/17 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could tell on TV they were better. The HRD hats actually looked really nice and well shaped but retail are the tallest crowns I've seen in a long time. Would love to get my hands on a quality one.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
USA made doesn't change the material from being absolute garbage.
Ronnieb

Post Posted: 07/17/17 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:

Yeah I've been wondering what is the value of made in US, if we're using that same terrible poly, or inferior wool? Someone here stitching it together does little in the way of fixing that, other than to employ people here. The form and function of bad materials is still present.
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 07/17/17 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LaughingIndian wrote:
I haven't posted in a while but hatguru is spot on! Every special eventcap the players have wore dating back to last season have been USA made. I just purchased the HR Derby and All Star game Red Sox caps on eBay from naplestreasures in Miami and they are USA made. I love them! And unlike the China HR derby caps these have all six eyelets instead of just the 2 front panels.

Would love to see pics. I messaged that same seller. Said they never had any.
VikadontisRex
Beginner

Post Posted: 07/17/17 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:

Yeah I've been wondering what is the value of made in US, if we're using that same terrible poly, or inferior wool? Someone here stitching it together does little in the way of fixing that, other than to employ people here. The form and function of bad materials is still present.

Based on the one USA with imported materials cap I have I'd say the fit of the cap is better than the China caps. For example, the cap has the curves on the side that you get with made in USA caps. That said though I agree that the cap isn't really any good due to the inferior materials and still a bit less comfortable than a real made in USA cap.
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 07/18/17 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate to insult anyone who likes them, but i'm shocked at the positive reception of the Home Run Derby caps. I honestly think they're the ugliest caps that have been introduced since I started collecting just a few years ago. They are offensive to the eyes and look like someone was joking around with the design and wanted to see if people would still lap them up.
Ronnieb

Post Posted: 07/18/17 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:
I hate to insult anyone who likes them, but i'm shocked at the positive reception of the Home Run Derby caps. I honestly think they're the ugliest caps that have been introduced since I started collecting just a few years ago. They are offensive to the eyes and look like someone was joking around with the design and wanted to see if people would still lap them up.

I feel like there is an underlying pressure in product/retail to keep "innovating", or just making changes for the sake of change. Also, maybe a consumer driven thing where people are looking for that crap. Part of the idea that the only thing that remains the same is change saying I suppose. Makes me appreciate my 20+ year old caps TREMENDOSLY.
LEROY712
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/18/17 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:

Right??? Unfortunately New Era has done a mighty good job at weaving their way into the minds of basic fan boys. New Era could make a cap out of dog feces for "bark in the park" night and the same fan boys will be drooling over them with semi chubbies. The perfect example is that of the new "retro classic" line. Half the crap is trash and done incorrectly while the other half you can easily find originals of on eBay for $15. Yet all you see is "🔥" or "hit this outta the park! I can't wait" comments on social media. Like what you like, but sometimes people just need to snap out of it and wake up! Just because it's New Era it doesn't make it 🔥🔥🔥...
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/18/17 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LEROY712 wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:

Right??? Unfortunately New Era has done a mighty good job at weaving their way into the minds of basic fan boys. New Era could make a cap out of dog feces for "bark in the park" night and the same fan boys will be drooling over them with semi chubbies. The perfect example is that of the new "retro classic" line. Half the crap is trash and done incorrectly while the other half you can easily find originals of on eBay for $15. Yet all you see is "🔥" or "hit this outta the park! I can't wait" comments on social media. Like what you like, but sometimes people just need to snap out of it and wake up! Just because it's New Era it doesn't make it 🔥🔥🔥...

To this point, and I know we are straying horribly off topic here...BUT...I became unreasonably angered yesterday when I saw Lids/New Era putting this out (http://shop.neweracap.com/style/MLB-Ultimate-Patch-Collection-Anniversary-59FIFTY-Cap/20931901). Now, I love the rare Orioles Road Alt Grays...LOVE THEM...BUT, it was only around for two years (95-96) and the Orioles 50th anniversary was 8 years later. The patch itself even displays the 2004 logo. Yet, somewhere, somehow, some idiot will buy this. If you were going to slap a patch on this chinese hat, at least do a 2131 one.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 07/18/17 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LEROY712 wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:

There's some truth in here.

A well-crafted New Era on-field MUSA with good poly remains the gold standard, in my view. But if you're gonna buy China, or way-back retro, I have a few American Needle caps that surpass the China quality of NE in comfort and accurate retro styling. I don't have any Ebbets Field flannels because I can't see paying $40 or $50 for a hat when I can't wear all the hats I already have, but I know folks like those too, as far as genuine-looking throwbacks.

Maybe I am missing them on purpose, but I don't really see many folks wearing HRD or recent All-Star design hats on the heads of fans at ballparks, so I do wonder who's buying all those wacky offerings that fill the Lids website.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/18/17 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:

A well-crafted New Era on-field MUSA with good poly remains the gold standard, in my view. But if you're gonna buy China, or way-back retro, I have a few American Needle caps that surpass the China quality of NE in comfort and accurate retro styling. I don't have any Ebbets Field flannels because I can't see paying $40 or $50 for a hat when I can't wear all the hats I already have, but I know folks like those too, as far as genuine-looking throwbacks.

Maybe I am missing them on purpose, but I don't really see many folks wearing HRD or recent All-Star design hats on the heads of fans at ballparks, so I do wonder who's buying all those wacky offerings that fill the Lids website.

Kids with stupid parents. My cousin, for example, despite my pleading with him, purchased his kids two 2016 clearance on-field all star game hats. they are Nats fans and his go to had is a 47 brand 2014 division champs hat. So that's what we're up against. I see lots of kids, probably between 10 and 20 rocking the HRD or the All star hats from the last couple years. Seems the more they look like NFL draft hats, the more kids want them. Don't understand it.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 07/18/17 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
MrRedLegs wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:
LegalAmerican wrote:

Kids with stupid parents. My cousin, for example, despite my pleading with him, purchased his kids two 2016 clearance on-field all star game hats. they are Nats fans and his go to had is a 47 brand 2014 division champs hat. So that's what we're up against. I see lots of kids, probably between 10 and 20 rocking the HRD or the All star hats from the last couple years. Seems the more they look like NFL draft hats, the more kids want them. Don't understand it.

I guess feverish marketing does work.

However, I have a 15 year old and he looks at that stuff and shakes his head, too. He loves the camo in the on-fields, but he picked up a HRD hat at Guaranteed Rate Field here in Chicago and asked "Just what material is this, Dad? It's totally ugly." He's a high school ballplayer, so maybe his tastes run more traditional. But I hope he's the future and not the other kids.
Ravens7
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/18/17 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i like the derby caps...i still want the blue marlins one. i guess its cause i like marlins stuff. ive never seen one in person so im not sure what the material is like.
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/18/17 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
but i understand where everyone is coming from. im affraid to say i like them due to the backlash i would face haha. i just think the design is pretty cool,i like how the derby caps take something from the city its played in.
Page 57 of 62   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: