2017 TBTCView previous topic :: View next topic  
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 07/16/17 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That Phils cap looks nice. The one with the giant P from a few years back was so historically inaccurate it was laughable. At least they tried this time, flag aside.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/16/17 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
That Phils cap looks nice. The one with the giant P from a few years back was so historically inaccurate it was laughable. At least they tried this time, flag aside.

Agree that the fat P reproduction doesn't work as a TBTC but I have to defend it nonetheless. Dbacks nation described it as a 'modernization' (http://neweramlb.blogspot.com/2012/03/phillies-80s-logo-this-philadelphia.html) and I agree with that assessment. The old design was always a bit small for an abstract logo (compare the size to the Brewers MB and Expos ELB logos for example). If the Phils were ever to bring the burgundy back, I don't think I'd mind if they used the fatter design. I wear the fat P cap quite a bit and the proportions just look right on the head IMO.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 07/16/17 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
baby dhibs wrote:

Agree that the fat P reproduction doesn't work as a TBTC but I have to defend it nonetheless. Dbacks nation described it as a 'modernization' (http://neweramlb.blogspot.com/2012/03/phillies-80s-logo-this-philadelphia.html) and I agree with that assessment. The old design was always a bit small for an abstract logo (compare the size to the Brewers MB and Expos ELB logos for example). If the Phils were ever to bring the burgundy back, I don't think I'd mind if they used the fatter design. I wear the fat P cap quite a bit and the proportions just look right on the head IMO.

Agree with Guy here. Just because it's historically accurate doesn't make it better. Everything in the past was not better. I have the TBTC with the fat P and absolutely love that cap. The white P logo on burgundy is a fantastic design and I also think it looks more appealing with a bigger P. It is possible to take something from the past and make it even better, which is sort of the whole idea behind the TBTC offerings, yes?
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked the larger logo and stand by my words that it's a modernization, but I think it needs to be expanded on. Since it's a TBTC, in my current opinion it should have been smaller and flat, but if the Phillies were to bring it back as the Brewers did with their logo, I wouldn't be opposed to the fatter logo.
m_y_t_h

Post Posted: 07/17/17 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wondering if any picked up the Rangers TBTC. I missed out last time and I was hoping to hear about the quality.

Thanks.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The fat P tbtc the Phillies usually use is horrific. The 2012 flat P tbtc looks much better imo. The fat P Phillies tbtc is almost as bad as that 2015 "worst tbtc of all time" huge D Tigers one.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
The fat P tbtc the Phillies usually use is horrific. The 2012 flat P tbtc looks much better imo. The fat P Phillies tbtc is almost as bad as that 2015 "worst tbtc of all time" huge D Tigers one.

I went back and compared game shots of both caps side by side and I have to say that the fatter P cap doesn't work as well with the set. The P on the jersey is huge already and it's too much when combined with the fat P cap. I still like the fat P cap on its own though.

And while the fat P cap is an inaccurate TBTC, I don't think it can compare with that huge D Tigers as the logo isn't too large for the cap on its own (combined with the jersey is another matter). It's the logo that Lids uses for a lot of their burgundy Phils customs that reminds me of that Tigers TBTC . Besides dominating the front of the crown it also doesn't exist in nature. The fat P OTOH was used on Sports Specialties caps though it was a bit smaller (I have one of these SS caps).

The Lids custom logo I'm referring to:

MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 07/17/17 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
XclickX wrote:

I went back and compared game shots of both caps side by side and I have to say that the fatter P cap doesn't work as well with the set. The P on the jersey is huge already and it's too much when combined with the fat P cap. I still like the fat P cap on its own though.

And while the fat P cap is an inaccurate TBTC, I don't think it can compare with that huge D Tigers as the logo isn't too large for the cap on its own (combined with the jersey is another matter). It's the logo that Lids uses for a lot of their burgundy Phils customs that reminds me of that Tigers TBTC . Besides dominating the front of the crown it also doesn't exist in nature. The fat P OTOH was used on Sports Specialties caps though it was a bit smaller (I have one of these SS caps).

The Lids custom logo I'm referring to:

I haven't done the side by side comparison with the uni, but weirdly, everything Guy says here makes sense to me.

For complete clarity, I was referring to the burgundy TBTC with the raised and fatter P. I grabbed one of the last of those about 1.5 years ago from minorleagues.com -- what year(s) was that cap used, if not 2012? That P on the custom for Lids does look "horrific," in click's words.

I don't have a problem with subtle changes from history in TBTC hats to "modernize" them, as long as the subtle changes are to my personal liking. Ha!
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
I haven't done the side by side comparison with the uni, but weirdly, everything Guy says here makes sense to me.

For complete clarity, I was referring to the burgundy TBTC with the raised and fatter P. I grabbed one of the last of those about 1.5 years ago from minorleagues.com -- what year(s) was that cap used, if not 2012? That P on the custom for Lids does look "horrific," in click's words.

I believe the fat P was used in '11 and '13. Citizens Bank Park actually still has some size 8 stragglers from the '13 run mixed in with their custom Coops.

MrRedLegs wrote:
I don't have a problem with subtle changes from history in TBTC hats to "modernize" them, as long as the subtle changes are to my personal liking. Ha!

The perfectionist in me wants TBTC caps to look exactly like what they're turning the clock back to. The collector in me just wants something that looks good. lol My fat P burgundy caps are both ballpark customs (though one is a factory error and has on-field tags Very Happy) and I wouldn't mind if NE made a habit of selling high quality variations of classic caps as ballpark exclusives.

I also think I'm in the minority in that I generally prefer that TBTC's include a batterman and don't mind if they use a black underbrim. I like how both of those look and like to imagine that the cap has actually been brought back as the team's standard on-field. They're already the wrong material usually (as are the uniforms) so other little modernizations don't clash with the overall feel/aesthetic IMO. I could definitely get behind using Mitchell & Ness jerseys along with period appropriate cap materials/designs however.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is nothing I like about the fat, raised P. I grabbed this one back in the day just because of the CRG patch. I never even bothered to buy one without the patch. The 2012 version just looks better. The fat P looks like it should be used in a shitty Lids line.

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I look at a photo like that (don't have the smaller P poly myself and might not get it; the Phillies send me 5 emails a day but never bothered to let me know they were selling it and now it's not available in my size Rolling Eyes) and realize that I have issues with both caps. The fat P could be shrunk about 20% and the size issue really is obvious in that photo even if it's not as bad as some other caps. I swear it looks good on my head though so perspective seems to be important.

The small P OTOH has always looked a bit primitive to me. I think the emphasized tail and extra-thin baseball stitching on the fat P are improvements. I'm also generally not a fan of flat logos on modern poly caps. Gives the cap look like a cheap knock-off look and just generally clashes with the modern poly 5950 construction IMO.

Below are some comparisons of the fat P poly and the SS logo that it seems to be based on. The poly cap is clearly bigger in general so the somewhat larger logo isn't completely uncalled for. I do think it could be toned down a bit however. And while it might look like a Lids custom to some (I do get that), I think it's clear that it's based on an actual on-field design.

Funnily enough, my GF's child-sized OSFA '47 (pictured at bottom) probably works better than any of the 5950's as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to see a raised small P and smaller fat P on future TBTC's/customs if only for comparison's sake.

XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you think New Era was using the SS logo as a reference you are giving them too much credit, lol.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/17/17 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
If you think New Era was using the SS logo as a reference you are giving them too much credit, lol.

I just meant that it's the logo design they had lying around and ended up using. I rather doubt many at NE have ever even heard of SS. lol Still though, there is a clear precedent for using the fat P on an on-field.
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/18/17 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's a SS?
caplover83

Post Posted: 07/18/17 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
el_gmac wrote:
What's a SS?

Sports Specialities. Some of the team used the hats in the 80's and early 90's before NE got the exclusive contract. Insomniac186 has a good write up on the company: http://ballcapblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/company-profile-sports-specialties.html?m=1
Page 16 of 22   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: