Low Crown 5950's at my Lids!View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/18/17 12:24 pm    Post subject: Low Crown 5950's at my Lids! Reply with quote
I'm excited. Er, well...sort of. Popped into the local Lids at the mall over lunch today to see if there were any new hats I really shouldn't be buying, and noticed something strange. There were 3 different racks of Cubs caps where I was used to having only seen two before - for the regular HC 5950's, and then another for 3930's and specialty caps. I lifted one from the 3rd row gently down and was floored to see the "59Fifty Low Crown" sticker on the brim.

Good news: This has NEVER happened before! I've always had to order LC caps directly from MLB / Fanatics, and usually with varying results.

Bad news: The caps I saw were all Chino made, (though quality in comparison to some of the regular 5950's wasn't at all bad...) and they didn't have any in my size. Sad I could have sprung for the 7 1/4, but it would have been very loose even without a proper haircut - and the LC's seem to run a tad big historically anyway.

Anywho, never came across this before - so for the rest of you out there who dig LC 5950's - may want to check out local before ordering again. For what it's worth, the girl did promise to have me a 7 1/8 in stock in a few weeks. Will believe that when it happens.

-John
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/18/17 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A local Lids Locker Room received a dump of flagged Phillies, Yankees and Mets low crowns in all sizes at the beginning of the season. The Phils were 100% MUSA too. I have no idea how Lids decides to stock this or that cap but for whatever reason it seems like they're putting a few more low crowns on shelves.
Stevie
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/18/17 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the lids here in Toronto has an entire low crown section. Pretty much every cap they carry is available.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/18/17 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The girl running the store today at mine made it seem like it was her personal endeavor. I told her I was very surprised to see the caps and she said "yeah, it was pretty difficult for me to get them in here..."
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/20/17 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The New Era store in the Roseville Galleria usually has a pretty good selection of the LC MUSA 59Fiftys. I picked up a Giants one last year, and like it a lot more than I thought I would. LC caps usually look s****y on me, but this one is ok.
Fittedguy16
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/20/17 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiddy Sicks wrote:
The New Era store in the Roseville Galleria usually has a pretty good selection of the LC MUSA 59Fiftys. I picked up a Giants one last year, and like it a lot more than I thought I would. LC caps usually look s****y on me, but this one is ok.

That Roseville mall is actually a pretty awesome cap spot. Surprised when I came upon an actual NE store in there.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/20/17 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in Winston-Salem, NC. There are actually at least 4 different places to buy fitted caps in the local mall: Lids, Locker Room by Lids, Fanatics, and Hat Shack. The last two have dramatically less selection, but all things considered - it's a lot to choose from in a medium-sized southern town with no MLB team close by. If I can't find anything to suit my fancy in any of those shops - Greensboro NC is a 30 minute drive. They have a lager Lids and another Fanatics store.
tducken
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/23/17 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went into Lids in Seattle a few months ago and the guy working there said they don't sell low crowns there because they aren't popular and nobody buys them. It was almost like he was trying to shame me into buying a "normal" hat.
jake2701
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/23/17 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
I'm in Winston-Salem, NC. There are actually at least 4 different places to buy fitted caps in the local mall: Lids, Locker Room by Lids, Fanatics, and Hat Shack. The last two have dramatically less selection, but all things considered - it's a lot to choose from in a medium-sized southern town with no MLB team close by. If I can't find anything to suit my fancy in any of those shops - Greensboro NC is a 30 minute drive. They have a lager Lids and another Fanatics store.

NC!!!

Haven't been to Four Seasons in years.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/18/17 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So follow-up: On a whim to assuage the frustration of my recent totally botched Lids.com order (They sent me a Cleveland Cavaliers cap when I ordered a Retro Classic Cubs 5950; see my other recent post in the Authentics section for the gory details and ranting...) I went to the other (larger) Lids in Greensboro, NC today at lunch, which is about a half-hour drive for me. SCORE!!! This store also had LC 5950's, and a lot more to chose from. I walked away with a not quite perfect, but fine in all the key areas and acceptable by my standards LC MUSA w/ imported materials Cubs cap which fit in a 7 1/4 - which is weird for me because the other one I have that is a WS cap but otherwise identical fits loose in a 7 1/8. Whatever, I'll take it. "Handmade caps with inconsistent sizing" proffered the Lids employee. With you.

I also asked this Lids employee (not sure if he was the manager) again "Hey! What is the deal with carrying the Low Profile caps in store? I love it!" and he said it was by demand. So maybe this will actually become a thing? Again, fairly small to mid-sized southern cities, no supersize Lids or other huge New Era retailer presence anywhere near here like in a big city. So I'm figuring I just got lucky, but if so this is pretty cool. I think it will probably also mean the death-knell for my days of continued attempts to wear regular high-crown 5950's just due my desire to hold / inspect in-store and not go through the agony of the buy-groan-return cycle with online cap orders. I have zero patience - when I want a cap, I want a cap - but the Low Crown 5950's really do fit me so much better...

Last edited by jchcollins on 09/18/17 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/18/17 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tducken wrote:
I went into Lids in Seattle a few months ago and the guy working there said they don't sell low crowns there because they aren't popular and nobody buys them. It was almost like he was trying to shame me into buying a "normal" hat.

Interesting contrast to my experience today where the guy said they were getting popular and that's the only reason they had them in-store. Maybe it's a southern thing...
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/18/17 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was at the King of Prussia Mall yesterday and gave their Lids a look. They're probably the most professional and well run of the eastern PA Lids that I regularly check out and this was the first time they had several teams (not just local) fully stocked with low crowns. Something's definitely up.

On a more random note, the Pro Image Sports right across from the Lids there had a full stock of the Phils burgundy TBTC's. Bear in mind that this is a store that has one small shelf devoted to 5950's. I'm happy with the one I got from Hat Club but it would have been nice to have browsed in person before buying. Will be sure to check back with them for future Phils TBTC releases.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/18/17 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Was at the King of Prussia Mall yesterday...

My Dad's family was from near there, he grew up in Bridgeport, PA. My aunt and uncle (both now deceased) lived in King of Prussia for many years...
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/20/17 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
My Dad's family was from near there, he grew up in Bridgeport, PA. My aunt and uncle (both now deceased) lived in King of Prussia for many years...

I'm only really familiar with the mall itself since it's about an hour drive away. It's ridiculously big. I went with the GF to sell some old movies and had to walk the length of two normal malls (they basically doubled the size of the place at some point) plus a connecting walkway to meet up with her when I was done.

I remember a member on here saying that the Mall of America has several Lids and I'm kind of surprised that KOP only has the one. I suggested that Hat Club set up shop there when they were asking for locations to check out, would seem like a good fit.

Btw, not sure if you've been following the Hat Club custom releases but you might want to check out their site today at 1pm EST. They're putting up a 1914 Cubs cap.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/20/17 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wound up returning the LC 5950 I bought. 😒 Latent "thread unraveling" problems with the logo...
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: