HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronnieb

Post Posted: 11/14/17 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Any Bay Area members buy or handle the red & gold Niners custom that's getting put on the site today? If so, thoughts on construction and poly?

Good construction and not the worst nor the best poly. Worked for me though.

That is a beautiful 9ers hat. Always loved their colors.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/14/17 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
That is a beautiful 9ers hat. Always loved their colors.

I'm not a big football fan but I absolutely prefer the simple/classic unis. Maybe it's because they were good when I was a kid and followed the game casually but I've always wondered why more teams didn't follow the examples of the Niners, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers, etc. I turned on the recent Thursday night game and said that to a family member that just looking at the screen I could see how the game had passed me by: the uniforms were simply atrocious. They reminded me of what the players were wearing in Starship Troopers for chrissake. lol I find it particularly disappointing that the Seahawks abandoned their beautiful colors and genuinely respectful NW Native American logo so they could look 'tough' and trendy. smh
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/14/17 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been waiting on this two-tone ever since Luis told me it was coming a while back. Gotta check out the burgundy as well.

I thought I'd kicked the Hat Club custom habit but it's back with a vengeance. lol

Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Been waiting on this two-tone ever since Luis told me it was coming a while back. Gotta check out the burgundy as well.

I thought I'd kicked the Hat Club custom habit but it's back with a vengeance. lol

"Luis" found out snitches get stitches after that.

I know you're reading this "Luis", never forget.

Also, the logos on both are even better in person.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:

The quotation marks make this post much more sinister for some reason. lol

And that bell really is fantastic. The Phils need a total re-brand IMO but something as simple as putting the bell on their sleeve would be a good start.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:

The quotation marks make this post much more sinister for some reason. lol

And that bell really is fantastic. The Phils need a total re-brand IMO but something as simple as putting the bell on their sleeve would be a good start.

I'd take this on a bp cap but it's not MLB on-field worthy. The interleague hat making a return Id be ok with. What would you want the rebrand to be? Their home Day alt is perfect. Home and road are solid too.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
I'd take this on a bp cap but it's not MLB on-field worthy. The interleague hat making a return Id be ok with. What would you want the rebrand to be? Their home Day alt is perfect. Home and road are solid too.

By on-field do you mean putting it on a cap? If so, I'd agree that that's not the best use of the bell. Not even sure I want it on a BP but the sleeve seems perfect to me. The numbers there currently are superfluous and the sleeve is the ideal place for a team to let loose a little with their branding.

I think their current set is a few tweaks away from being really good actually: lose all traces of blue, bring back the italic 'P' cap logo, darken the gray on the roads, lose the trim on the ends of the road sleeves, lose the numbers on the sleeves, switch to a more conservative number/NOB font and maybe switch their home set from white to cream (while still keeping the pinstripes). In other words, bring back the Whiz Kids unis. I doubt they'd do all that though since the Whiz Kid logo seems largely forgotten in the region. I think I've literally seen one guy wearing the cap besides myself in the past half decade.

If by home day alt you're referring to the two-tone cap and plain cream uni, I'd agree that that's their current best option and what they should be using if they want to keep their current logo. But that uni needs more blue and the same issues apply to the number/NOB. I'd love to see how they could incorporate the two-tone cap into a road uni. Really though, it's not that complicated if they wanted to make the most of that two-tone: all they need to do is bring back their '48 set.

But I think the most likely possible re-brand is a return to the burgundy, powder blue and ball/P logo a la the Orioles return to the Cartoon Bird a few years ago. I see a ton of powder blue jerseys on fans whenever I go to CBP and the logo/colors are very popular on hats and shirts at the park too. Not sure if they'd have the balls to bring back the monochrome powder blue roads but at the very least the top could be used as a home alt (looks great when I pair them with the pinstripe pants in MLB The Show). The team that wore those unis is still fresh in many fans' minds and I suspect younger hipsters like the retro style as well since I also see younger people wearing the gear. The team seems to understand this as they offer a lot of merchandise from this era at their ballpark team stores. I think it's almost 50-50 when you disregard the on-field gear itself.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 11/15/17 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
XclickX wrote:

By on-field do you mean putting it on a cap? If so, I'd agree that that's not the best use of the bell. Not even sure I want it on a BP but the sleeve seems perfect to me. The numbers there currently are superfluous and the sleeve is the ideal place for a team to let loose a little with their branding.

I think their current set is a few tweaks away from being really good actually: lose all traces of blue, bring back the italic 'P' cap logo, darken the gray on the roads, lose the trim on the ends of the road sleeves, lose the numbers on the sleeves, switch to a more conservative number/NOB font and maybe switch their home set from white to cream (while still keeping the pinstripes). In other words, bring back the Whiz Kids unis. I doubt they'd do all that though since the Whiz Kid logo seems largely forgotten in the region. I think I've literally seen one guy wearing the cap besides myself in the past half decade.

If by home day alt you're referring to the two-tone cap and plain cream uni, I'd agree that that's their current best option and what they should be using if they want to keep their current logo. But that uni needs more blue and the same issues apply to the number/NOB. I'd love to see how they could incorporate the two-tone cap into a road uni. Really though, it's not that complicated if they wanted to make the most of that two-tone: all they need to do is bring back their '48 set.

But I think the most likely possible re-brand is a return to the burgundy, powder blue and ball/P logo a la the Orioles return to the Cartoon Bird a few years ago. I see a ton of powder blue jerseys on fans whenever I go to CBP and the logo/colors are very popular on hats and shirts at the park too. Not sure if they'd have the balls to bring back the monochrome powder blue roads but at the very least the top could be used as a home alt (looks great when I pair them with the pinstripe pants in MLB The Show). The team that wore those unis is still fresh in many fans' minds and I suspect younger hipsters like the retro style as well since I also see younger people wearing the gear. The team seems to understand this as they offer a lot of merchandise from this era at their ballpark team stores. I think it's almost 50-50 when you disregard the on-field gear itself.

I'm not invested in the Phils like you guys, but I have a Whiz Kids TBTC cap (what year was that TBTC?) and I like it better than the current design -- mostly, I think, because the squatchee is white. If different from the crown color, the button should be either the color of the brim or a color in the logo. The blue button looks misplaced and weird, to me anyway. The white logo pops a bit more when the squatchee is white.

The maroon/burgundy color and the thick white-threaded P baseball logo with that set -- it was totally awesome.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
I'm not invested in the Phils like you guys, but I have a Whiz Kids TBTC cap (what year was that TBTC?) and I like it better than the current design -- mostly, I think, because the squatchee is white. If different from the crown color, the button should be either the color of the brim or a color in the logo. The blue button looks misplaced and weird, to me anyway. The white logo pops a bit more when the squatchee is white.

The maroon/burgundy color and the thick white-threaded P baseball logo with that set -- it was totally awesome.

Yeah, I have no idea why they got rid of the white squatchee when they adopted the current set in the early nineties. It was the one constant in the uni going all the way back to 1950. I can understand why a Philly team would want blue in their scheme but they incorporated it in the worst possible way. The cream uni and two-tone introduced in '08 did it much better but even with those they didn't get the balance right. Undershirt, belt and socks should be majority blue like the '48 set. Blue outlines on letters and numbers should be thicker as well for better contrast:

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, I really like that burgundy Liberty Bell custom but what looks like a couple mistakes are getting my OCD going. I'm assuming the crack should be white but on this it's powder blue like the rest of the bell and it thus doesn't stand out like it does on most Phils Liberty Bell merchandise (including the two-custom they also released). It also combines a green underbrim with a batterman, something I don't think was ever done with the actual Phils on-fields.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I was refrrring to the bell logo as an on-field being blah. Yes, the home Day alt is the cream set. Good set. I personally do not want to see the maroon back. I'm fine with the 1950s logo on the cap and those style uniforms as well. The numbers on the sleeves are kinda weird too. I do like the normal grey uniforms though. I hate the darker grey that Arizona has( worst uniform set in the league imo).

I did hear they will have a new bp cap this year .
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/15/17 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
Yeah I was refrrring to the bell logo as an on-field being blah. Yes, the home Day alt is the cream set. Good set. I personally do not want to see the maroon back. I'm fine with the 1950s logo on the cap and those style uniforms as well. The numbers on the sleeves are kinda weird too. I do like the normal grey uniforms though. I hate the darker grey that Arizona has( worst uniform set in the league imo).

I did hear they will have a new bp cap this year .

Oh, I'm totally with you on that. It's awful being a Giants fan and having to watch the Snakes bring those hideous unis to SF again and again (there have been other reasons it's been awful this last year and a half... lol). I was thinking more along the lines of the relatively darker shade of gray used by the Dodgers, Mets and Blue Jays. The Phils roads seem modeled on the Yankees unis from the 70's right down to the sleeve trim and I'm not crazy about either.

I used to be opposed to the burgundy set but have since become quite fond of them. I love the colors but I also like that it gives the Phils a unique identity. Fire engine red and blue/red are both done to death. With the Nats in the division now and clearly committed to their red curly W look, it would help the Phils brand to set themselves apart.
m_y_t_h

Post Posted: 11/16/17 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That 50's set is pretty sharp. I agree that it would be nice to use something like that with the alt cap.

For some reason, I like the blue squatchee. I feel like I shouldn't, but I do. It's a bit random on its own, but in the context of the whole uniform, it at least makes a little sense.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/16/17 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Club releasing swinging bird today (https://twitter.com/HatClub/status/930953988408688641). I love the all black version of this that they did in 2014. Wish this was that, and I also wish this wasn't so soon after the Players Weekend Hat. All that said...love this logo and will be purchasing for sure!
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/16/17 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really hate all the re-brands the Jays did over the years but that gray poly looks outstanding. Shocked

m_y_t_h wrote:
For some reason, I like the blue squatchee. I feel like I shouldn't, but I do. It's a bit random on its own, but in the context of the whole uniform, it at least makes a little sense.

I think one of my issues with the cap is that there is no blue anywhere on the logo or brim. By comparison, I think I actually prefer the old Rangers alt with its blue squatchee over the new solid red one in part thanks the blue drop shadow on the logo.

Page 26 of 27   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: