HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
steadymobbin

Post Posted: 02/13/18 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
steadymobbin wrote:
you can call, but I recently came into a situation that had me worried for no reason. I ordered the TATC giants and angels hats on the Saturday they came out and didn't get a tracking number until Wednesday. I called and Luis said that it was cuz they were shipping in one of the hats from a store before they shipped both hats to me. not saying that is your case but it could be.

also the rays hat from hatclub has gold on the ray and not on the original. honestly I got the first one hat club did (with the green bill) and I actually like it better. it just really pops imo.

Yeah, store orders take longer. Giants TATC was carried in some Bay Area stores, not sure about the Angels TATC. But unless Brett ordered the Bulls cap with something else I can't imagine that order's not coming straight from their warehouse.

And I did notice the inappropriate yellow on the Ray plus the teal instead of purple in the tail. Still nowhere near as bad as the Rays' own special event cap logo though. I'd send mine back if I had any faith in NE fixing the logo in the future (I don't). Neither of these Rays releases are selling super well either so I'm not sure HC would even bother with giving it another go.

I agree that the green brim two-tone looks really good. I wanted a on-field reproduction, otherwise I would have gone for the one you got. I'm hoping that HC eventually puts out accurate versions of their second set of caps complete with the black/green two-tone.

Fiddy Sicks wrote:
My buddy picked up the Angels TATC cap and said it's pretty crappy. I guess it was all smashed up and the poly on the crown is that awful red poly New Era has been using lately. I have two Nats caps that use the same poly (Basic home cap and the HC all red D.C. throwback alt) and the material is absolutely sub par, Gotta be careful with red MUSA caps I guess because that material is second worse only to New Era's bad navy (I have both of the HC Warriors throwback caps which use subpar poly and a Braves Primary cap that uses a navy material that is absolutely atrocious).

Damn, that's a shame about the Angels TATC poly. What's funny is the red poly on the HC Expos custom is first rate. Confused I haven't done a side by side comparison but I assume it's the same shade that the Nats use. I too had bad luck with recent Nats pickups but miraculously found an imported materials version an hour away with relatively good poly.

I agree that the poly on the angels TATC hat is not as good as some hats that ive received that are MUSA. makes me kind of nervous about the expos rerelease that I picked up. really hope they can make more TATC hats since most of the teams that participated look like its just their on field hat with a silver top brim.

I thought it was weird that it had to be shipped in from a store when I had completed my purchase literally one minute after 11. lol. but whatever I got the hats and am happy.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/13/18 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smallest complaint but this could be more about the photo lighting. But the HC and even retro classic TB devil rays caps seem to use a more lavender purple color outline than the originals. It throws off the whole look IMHO.

Just off of looks online, the HC logo is a tad too large. This is more of a chino custom/retro classic mistake than what I expect out of HC.

Personally I think I'd rather have a chino retro custom than what I'm seeing being produced today. Those have the logo perfect.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
Smallest complaint but this could be more about the photo lighting. But the HC and even retro classic TB devil rays caps seem to use a more lavender purple color outline than the originals. It throws off the whole look IMHO.

Just off of looks online, the HC logo is a tad too large. This is more of a chino custom/retro classic mistake than what I expect out of HC.

Personally I think I'd rather have a chino retro custom than what I'm seeing being produced today. Those have the logo perfect.

The Mickey's Place Coop version does a better job on the colors too. It looks to have the same slightly oversized logo however. Regardless, I only buy MUSA poly these days so I'm willing to accept some inaccuracies if I have to. I can't speak highly enough of this cap's poly/construction btw. Just a super comfortable cap.

My previous photos were taken under pretty harsh artificial light. Below is a close-up of the logo under sunshine. Looks incredible IMO. Do you still think the purple is off?

Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:

You can only work with what NE gives you and any “perfection” of the logo is diminished by the craptastic Chino fit.
Azfan
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

You can only work with what NE gives you and any “perfection” of the logo is diminished by the craptastic Chino fit.

Guru, any insight on that navy halos hat being really wool? The stock photos on the site look MUSA poly
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Azfan wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

Guru, any insight on that navy halos hat being really wool? The stock photos on the site look MUSA poly

That hat is Chino. Likely old stock photos from a previous release.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up, Guru. If you don't mind me asking, how can you tell that the cap in the photo is Chino? I can't spot any significant differences from photos of several of the recent MUSA poly releases. Or are those old stock photos as well?
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up, Guru. If you don't mind me asking, how can you tell that the cap in the photo is Chino? I can't spot any significant differences from photos of several of the recent MUSA poly releases. Or are those old stock photos as well?

It's not listed as Derby on the site and I have seen the hat in person.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:

Sorry, wasn't doubting your info. Just curious if you had any tips on how to spot a Chino from a stock photo. Wink I know to look for the 'bite' at the bottom of the crown when I buy off Ebay for example but most caps in stock photos don't have that giveaway so I end up relying on fuzz.
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:

Sorry, wasn't doubting your info. Just curious if you had any tips on how to spot a Chino from a stock photo. Wink I know to look for the 'bite' at the bottom of the crown when I buy off Ebay for example but most caps in stock photos don't have that giveaway so I end up relying on fuzz.

Puffy eyelets are a typical indicator of chino caps as well, along with brim stitching
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And now HC Twitter is saying the Angels cap is MUSA poly.

Fittedguy16 wrote:
Puffy eyelets are a typical indicator of chino caps as well, along with brim stitching

Hmm, didn't know that about the eyelets. I've seen weird brim stitching on IM caps too.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:

I stand corrected, it IS Derby poly. I think I was confusing it with another release, going to be honest there have been so many drops and so many more surprises waiting in WH to get shot I can barely tell up from down.

As for spotting differences from pics most of the telltale signs have been blurred with erratic poly quality and shady buckrams. Used to be easy now it's pickem most times.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/13/18 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

The Mickey's Place Coop version does a better job on the colors too. It looks to have the same slightly oversized logo however. Regardless, I only buy MUSA poly these days so I'm willing to accept some inaccuracies if I have to. I can't speak highly enough of this cap's poly/construction btw. Just a super comfortable cap.

My previous photos were taken under pretty harsh artificial light. Below is a close-up of the logo under sunshine. Looks incredible IMO. Do you still think the purple is off?

Looks much better. As close as well ever get. I'll throw that complaint out lol

The blue inner outline around the ray and the added yellow elements lose the true imersion factor for me personally.

And I guess I've just had some very average HC hats lately. 97 all Navy ws Indians, lime bill hops, swinging wahoo, and 99 grey under Navy/red large wahoo are all a bit lackluster. The fit and material aren't any better than some chino customs I have. The only positive is the crown and bill don't have the exposed stitching when you try to shape the cap, which I see on the majority of Chino caps. If I didn't tell you which is which, with imported materials dominating, lines are blurred.

Sales of HC customs may still be okay but it'll be their downfall eventually. I'd almost just rather get that mickeysplace chino custom And call it a day.

Last edited by wallyhopp on 02/13/18 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
I stand corrected, it IS Derby poly. I think I was confusing it with another release, going to be honest there have been so many drops and so many more surprises waiting in WH to get shot I can barely tell up from down.

As for spotting differences from pics most of the telltale signs have been blurred with erratic poly quality and shady buckrams. Used to be easy now it's pickem most times.

Completely understandable, Guru. This release obviously confused the Twitter guy too since yesterday he posted that the tags said 'wool' when asked for confirmation before correcting himself today. Looks like a really nice cap, I'd be tempted if I hadn't been pigging out on other HC customs recently. lol

As for the stock photos, at least HC offers 'casual' photos for most of their caps on Twitter and IG. Even some of those can be misleading (hello Indians 'I' cap!) but they're generally a pretty good indicator in my experience.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/18 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
Guy Gadbois wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:

Looks much better. As close as well ever get. I'll throw that complaint out lol

The blue inner outline around the ray and the added yellow elements lose the true imersion factor for me personally.

And I guess I've just had some very average HC hats lately. 97 all Navy ws Indians, lime bill hops, swinging wahoo, and 99 grey under Navy/red large wahoo are all a bit lackluster. The fit and material aren't any better than some chino customs I have. The only positive is the crown and bill don't have the exposed stitching when you try to shape the cap, which I see on the majority of Chino caps. If I didn't tell you which is which, with imported materials dominating, lines are blurred.

Sales of HC customs may still be okay but it'll be their downfall eventually. I'd almost just rather get that mickeysplace chino custom And call it a day.

Hahahahahahaha

You can’t win them all but recent sales numbers say HC’s winning most.

And seeing as you make some false assumptions, here’s the deal:

The screw ups on the blocking of the Rays logo were totally human error on the part of the Derby factory. Likely due to the inordinate number of hats they crank out per day and their not having done the logo for a few years.

The purple thread is pretty much spot on with the OG version, any slight hue change is likely either due to the difference in dye lots from the 90’s to today or a lighting issue with the pics.

HC’s customs are kind of the bread and butter of the business and are what keeps bringing people back. Perhaps they are not for you and so be it, it Chinese made NE’s sate your appetite then party on.
Page 38 of 49   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: