crep protect hat sprayView previous topic :: View next topic  
barto82
Beginner

Post Posted: 02/14/18 4:41 pm    Post subject: crep protect hat spray Reply with quote
Could someone please give me an honest review of the Crep Protect hat spray put out by New Era? I've never used any sort stain/water repellent on my hats and considering a new fitted costs about $50 here in Canada, I'm a little nervous about using one and wonder if it's even necessary.

Does Crep Protect maintain the hat's color longer?

And if I use Crep Protect am I able to clean the hat with water and detergent when it becomes dirty?
RoyalUltra
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/18/18 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't used the Crep Protect and would be curious to hear opinions as well.

I use the regular strength 3M Scotchgard for Fabric, which does not contain silicone. It is cheap and readily available, and seems to do a good job.

I use a horsehair brush and lint roller to "clean" my hats whenever they need it, but have never had luck with washing so I don't bother. I know a lot of guys around here use Nu-Cap with success.
barto82
Beginner

Post Posted: 02/20/18 9:51 am    Post subject: crep protect hat spray Reply with quote
Thanks for following up.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but do you spray the 3M scotch guard on the inside or outside of the cap? And can I use it on poly and wool?

I recently purchased a horse hair brush and it works so well to clean the dust and dirt from my caps.

In terms of getting the stink out of my caps I've been washing them in the sink with a small amount of detergent or woolite and scrubbing them with a toothbrush. I wonder if I will have the same success with cleaning if I were to use crep protect spray
RoyalUltra
Rookie

Post Posted: 02/20/18 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: crep protect hat spray Reply with quote
I know guys who spray both the inside and outside of their caps, but personally I only do the outside.
I find something to prop it up on in a ventilated area and follow the directions, which is a light coating, let it dry like 30 minutes, and then a 2nd light coating. Also be conscious of the overspray - put down newspapers or something if needed.

I've used it on both poly and wool without issue - no color changes or anything. Their site specifically says it can be used on wools.

If you try the crep protect please report back on how it works out. I think all of these sprays wear away and need re-application after a few months. If that's still true of the crep, I'd think you could still wash when it is worn off? IDK just speculating -- good luck

barto82 wrote:
Thanks for following up.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but do you spray the 3M scotch guard on the inside or outside of the cap? And can I use it on poly and wool?

I recently purchased a horse hair brush and it works so well to clean the dust and dirt from my caps.

In terms of getting the stink out of my caps I've been washing them in the sink with a small amount of detergent or woolite and scrubbing them with a toothbrush. I wonder if I will have the same success with cleaning if I were to use crep protect spray
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: