HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
mfortuna45
Beginner

Post Posted: 03/29/18 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do the HatClub USA Polys fit? I got a few 100% wool HatClub USA customs and they run pretty big. I'm anywhere between a 3/8 and 1/2 usually but I've had to go 1/4 with the wools. Not sure what size I should order in the Poly.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/29/18 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How's the poly on the Indians hat? The picture looks very Chinese like.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/29/18 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mfortuna45 wrote:
How do the HatClub USA Polys fit? I got a few 100% wool HatClub USA customs and they run pretty big. I'm anywhere between a 3/8 and 1/2 usually but I've had to go 1/4 with the wools. Not sure what size I should order in the Poly.

Each store doesn't have a fit.

USA made wools tend to run a bit big wherever you find them which is good as wool is more prone to shrinkage.

USA made polys vary depending on who made them that day.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/29/18 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:

Can't speak for Brett's pickup, but I handled a few during my Cactus League trip and they had the now common greasy red poly. The second run of the solid red Expos customs also had the lower quality poly whereas the first run had the good stuff.
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/29/18 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:

So/so poly not worst definitely not the best. Fit is on point though
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/24/18 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added a few more to the Stable of HC Customs (with more on the way)

New York Islanders HC Custom (China Wool/Viscose) by Brett Swartz, on Flickr

$5 and NE doesn't make NHL caps anymore, so why not? Not the best cap though i'll be honest

Tucson Sidewinders HC Custom (USA Poly w/IM) by Brett Swartz, on Flickr

This was originally a Portland SeaDogs 3/8 but lately 3/8 have fit me like 1/2s for some reason so i exchanged it for this 1/4 beauty.

Calgary Hitmen “Bret Hart” WHL HatClub Custom (USA Poly w/IM) by Brett Swartz, on Flickr

Had to have this one and missed 3/8s so i grabbed a 1/4 and it actually fit me great....may have to start ordering 1/4s...

Asheville Tourists “Mr. Moon Eating Rib” Custom (USA Poly w/IM) by Brett Swartz, on Flickr

This has been my grail for the longest time and i am so happy HC rereleased it! Fits like a gem and is surprisingly good poly for navy poly these days. Must grab in my book!
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/24/18 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe Guru, because he is the Guru...but it seems compared to recent MILBs and even some MLB on-fields, that the HatClub customs run on the larger side. By larger, I mean they actually run relatively true to size. The Ghost Crabs Baysox Copa hat was incredibly tight until I grabbed a second and returned the first and I got two of the Orioles Earth Days, same size and one was super tight and one was passable. As for the HC Custom polyester - all of the 7 1/4s I've grabbed in the last 6 or 7 months (10 or so) fit about the same - which was a bit loose but after some wearing and breaking in they were perfect. Only exception was the most recent 99-2008 Orioles (HC keeps insisting it is 1998...it is not), which I had to send back because it was HUGE and there was a bit of an oddity with the attaching of the brim.

Bottom line, pretty consistent fits from HC, and they run slightly larger than most of the recent on-fields (MILB/MLB) I've encountered.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/14/18 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Released this past Friday, I think they may have only had one size 7 7/8. Lucky to be around at release.

Albuquerque Dukes 5950 green underbrim MUSA IM poly (AAA team of the dodgers from 1970s to 2000s. The team was renamed the Isotopes in the early 2000s).

Solid poly material with a bit of fuzz. Sizing is a touch big for me. Glad I didn't ramp up to 8. Stitching and overall presentation and look earn a solid A.

I'd have to do a bit of digging to get the full scoop on the green under and it's general accuracy.

History lesson. The Duke logo first released on caps for the 1985 season. By 1990, they had switched to grey under brims. I've looked on some old trading cards to see what they were wearing from 1985 to 1989 to see if green would have been viable. I've seen some snapbacks of that era with green. So far no concrete info.

The Zia A logo that lids and now HC uses is not accruacrte so I didn't bother buying that one. The Duke HC custom is a gem though. I hope they have a few more runs.

And just for fun. Three eras of dukes customs ( don't think the other two are HC customs).

Hard to tell from photos. The black ne flag is a 2007 MUSA wool with red under. The white ne flag is a 2015 M china Wool with grey under. And the red ne flag is the latest Musa IM poly with green under.

For accuracy sake, both of the caps with the visible Ne flag feature this on the back of the cap

Which isn't entirely accurate. Which brings me full circle with the HC custom. The tonal flag and lack of any logos or stitching on the back brings this one right to within the rewalm of what the team did wear from 1985 to 1989. The grey vs green issue is a non issue when all other factors considered.

The 2015 china cap has some red helmet and feather detail on the logo that is raised a bit higher than your 2007 MUSA wool and even the 2018 HC custom, so HC did it right when they didnt raise those elements too much.

Lastly, maybe the only downer on the HC custom is there is a small dent right above the logo. Ive seen it with retro classics. Right along the middle crease

But like I said, other than that, this may be one of the first HC customs I am truly happy with. I guess it helps I didnt go with navy crowns (like my other purchases).
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/14/18 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A couple points:

1) Dukes weren't renamed, they moved to Portland. The Isotopes are the former Calgary Cannons.

2) You expert analysis failed to catch the HC custom correcting the under the helmet portion of the logo, restoring it to the original yellow from the previous white as demonstrated on your two previous versions.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/14/18 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good catch if not a touch condescending. Never said I was an expert.

I try to give HC their due but there's no winning. Wearing the cap right now. A new favorite. Around my way we don't consider the dukes as really moving. There was a lot of discussion when they went with the isotopes name and not dukes. So I consider it more of a renaming. But that's a technicality I guess. Any other dukes caps coming soon?
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/15/18 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For some historical perspective on the Zia A logo , here is how the Zia A Logo should look on an on field

Notice the white A with red outline.

Abqdukes 'team' shop has this one available

Lids released this one three years back

And of course for comparison sake, the HC custom

That's not to say they never had a red A with green under. It's just that I have yet to see that specific design. So it's bordering on being historically inaccurate.

I get it. They work with what's in the database and what's allowed to be copied and sold. Doesn't dismiss the fact that it's likely wrong. It also appears the visor should be red if we're really going for vintage accuracy.

As if anyone cares as to why I didn't get the Zia A. For those wondering, not worth the $40 from my fan perspective. It's the closest we have gotten with quality materials so I can see why some would want it. But it's missing that IT factor for me. Shoulda bought 2-3 of the dukes logo cap. Now that thing is worth it all

----------
Browsing Google, I spotted a collector http://www.baseballmilquetoast.com/2011/08/dukes-and-zephyrs-vintage-new-era-caps.html?m=1 with a dukes cap with the Duke logo, green under, no batterman, and leather sweatband. Tag looks to date mid to early 1980s. I'm not saying Hc doesn't do their homework. They appear to have gotten the Duke logo cap 99% to spec. Now if they could just get a white A with red outline on a Zia and I'd be happy.
steadymobbin

Post Posted: 05/22/18 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
how close is the Portland rockies remake they are going to release on Friday? logo looks a little small to me.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/22/18 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
steadymobbin wrote:
how close is the Portland rockies remake they are going to release on Friday? logo looks a little small to me.

Good catch.

This OG

vs. this

is a bit of a joke. Logo went from HQ high rest rose imagery, to a pretty generic LQ logo.

---------
I did pick up the navy/red batting wahoo today. Looks identical to the one that Lids came out with a few months back, at least the actual logo and its size (that sold out rather quickly too).
https://www.lids.com/cleveland-indians-new-era-mlb-wahoo-custom-59fifty-cap/20997512

That one had a batterman, NE flag, and a grey underbrim. So the HC custom appears to be right in line with their all navy batting wahoo. Nice SET HC!
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/22/18 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Club is putting that out? Yeesh.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 05/22/18 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
Hat Club is putting that out? Yeesh.

Something went awry there. If that were a Lids release, oh dear, the voices you'd hear...
Page 43 of 51   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: