2018 TBTCView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/13/18 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone pull the trigger early on the Brewers TBTC and receive theirs already? Looks like I'll have to pay full price at this point but it would be nice to know poly and construction quality before doing that.

As for the Marlins TBTC, I can only add that I handled some of the Retro Classics with the same colorway a few months back and the material was weird. Felt like stretchy wool. It honestly wasn't horrible, and I do think it had some fuzz, but it didn't feel like a 5950. I wonder if NE ended up using that same material for some of the TBTC's?
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/13/18 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:
eps23 wrote:

HC and, despite tagging that says polyester, these hats are 100% Wool. Is it possible New Era ran out of turquoise polyester and just finished the run with wool? Anyone else have the same opinion?

So, mine feels like wool (has that wool fuzziness to it), but it has that awful imported poly smell. So your guess is as good as mine.

Regardless, it fits great. Probably the best fitting on-field I've purchased in 2018.

Enjoy it while you can. If it's actually wool, that bad boy will shrink in no time.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/13/18 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:

Enjoy it while you can. If it's actually wool, that bad boy will shrink in no time.

That's why I have a Hat Jack Laughing
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/13/18 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:
shane618 wrote:

I don't know what you guys are doing with a hat jack that I'm not - i crank it, the hat fits, then if it's wool it shrinks back in a day or two. It doesn't matter how long i leave it in, or how much i crank, always shrinks back.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/13/18 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:

I don't know what you guys are doing with a hat jack that I'm not - i crank it, the hat fits, then if it's wool it shrinks back in a day or two. It doesn't matter how long i leave it in, or how much i crank, always shrinks back.

I've only used my hat jack on one wool cap, and I haven't had any issues.

Then again, I don't wear wool caps often--especially in the summer.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/13/18 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
Bucs007 wrote:
shane618 wrote:

Do you crank it as much as possible then the next day crank it more? Then repeat for a week?
wallyhopp

Post Posted: 06/13/18 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
shane618 wrote:
Bucs007 wrote:
shane618 wrote:

Do you crank it as much as possible then the next day crank it more? Then repeat for a week?

My secret is, I crank it once to its very limits (you start to hear the stitching rip. Then I place a damp wash cloth around the edges of the outer sweatband (be careful to avoid the cardboard brim), crank the hat jack as much as you can some more, then let it sit with the damp cloth for 1-2 hours. Un crank it, try it out, and as its damp, give it a third crank

I've rinse and repeated the above steps about 25 times (22 on wool/ 3 poly).

The key is to stretch it almost too much. It will shrink back down a touch in a day or two, But I have yet to throw a cap in a hat jack twice if I properly cranked it. Wearing it wet sort of sets it in its place.

Some people are afraid to dirty or get their caps wet. So take the above advice as you may
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/13/18 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Anyone pull the trigger early on the Brewers TBTC and receive theirs already? Looks like I'll have to pay full price at this point but it would be nice to know poly and construction quality before doing that.

I have been wondering the same thing. I think I am going to cave and pay full price, too.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/14/18 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Darker Teal Hat Club Marlins TBTC Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:
eps23 wrote:

HC and, despite tagging that says polyester, these hats are 100% Wool. Is it possible New Era ran out of turquoise polyester and just finished the run with wool? Anyone else have the same opinion?

So, mine feels like wool (has that wool fuzziness to it), but it has that awful imported poly smell. So your guess is as good as mine.

Regardless, it fits great. Probably the best fitting on-field I've purchased in 2018.

Ok so I JUST picked mine up and it has the exact same issues. As soon as I opened the parcel box I swear to you I could smell the usual New Era poly smell and STRONG, through the box! It reminded me of someone who shipped weed and didnít do a good enough job sealing out the smell 😂
Itís also most definitely wool, despite the Poly tag. But itís also really comfortable? I have two original Marlins teal caps and the material is VERY similar. Itís almost like theyíve had this material chilling in a warehouse somewhere since the early 90s and finally got the opportunity to kill the stock haha.

I was expecting to hate this cap, and I actually kinda love it. Itís almost an exact copy of the original Marlins teal caps all the way down to the flimsy bill, but with modern construction and sweatbands and all. Itís definitely one of the most unique caps I own.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/15/18 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MLB Shop just finally posted the marlins TBTC. Any chance their batch is made from the right material/is the right color? I only ask because based on an original post on this topic, seems the team store had the right combo, but everyone else, either lids or HC, has had the wrong color/wrong material (no matter how well it fits).
demondecko
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/15/18 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Know this has been discussed but I have a normal and low crown of the Marlins 25th. Both came from Lids. The normal is more wool feeling and the darker blue. The low crown is definitely poly feeing. Both fit really well though.

el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/16/18 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
MLB Shop just finally posted the marlins TBTC. Any chance their batch is made from the right material/is the right color? I only ask because based on an original post on this topic, seems the team store had the right combo, but everyone else, either lids or HC, has had the wrong color/wrong material (no matter how well it fits).

The wool mix teal is closer to the Original teal, the polyester is pale when you put them side by side. I love how the wool fits and feels , not a fan of the polyester. Also the wool crown is more towards the LC type roundness the polyester is boxy as hell.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/21/18 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Received my Snakes 1998 TBTC order from HC today. Construction and poly are flawless besides an excessive amount of loose threads. It's even free of the bunched up poly behind the squatchee and dent above the logo that so many MUSA caps have these days. Crown looks a bit boxy in the photo but that's misleading. Bought multiple to choose from and I'm glad because all fit a bit tight. Only one wasn't uncomfortably tight out of the box. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the flag on this but seeing it in person I know that it'll have to come off.

It's listed as 'white' on the HC site but unless my eyes are deceiving me the crown is cream colored. Put it next to my White Sox HC custom, whose crown is definitely white, to compare. And I think it should be cream colored since there was no white wool in the nineties. Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect, guys. I've seen differences in shade of red when there supposedly is none so I'm not the best judge of material color. lol

All sizes still available on the HC site and that kind of surprises me. Are these not popular with collectors? Or did HC just buy a ton of them for their AZ stores?

steadymobbin

Post Posted: 06/21/18 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Received my Snakes 1998 TBTC order from HC today. Construction and poly are flawless besides an excessive amount of loose threads. It's even free of the bunched up poly behind the squatchee and dent above the logo that so many MUSA caps have these days. Crown looks a bit boxy in the photo but that's misleading. Bought multiple to choose from and I'm glad because all fit a bit tight. Only one wasn't uncomfortably tight out of the box. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the flag on this but seeing it in person I know that it'll have to come off.

It's listed as 'white' on the HC site but unless my eyes are deceiving me the crown is cream colored. Put it next to my White Sox HC custom, whose crown is definitely white, to compare. And I think it should be cream colored since there was no white wool in the nineties. Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect, guys. I've seen differences in shade of red when there supposedly is none so I'm not the best judge of material color. lol

All sizes still available on the HC site and that kind of surprises me. Are these not popular with collectors? Or did HC just buy a ton of them for their AZ stores?

This is great to hear! Iím waiting on the right time to buy them. I would have bought them but hatclub had to decide to drop a bunch of Portland stuff. Lol
Azfan
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/21/18 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

Ive only got an Big 'A' OG version lying around somewhere and a 1998 pinstriped Reds hat but the "white" of the crowns were most definitely a cream color so I would assume so. I'm waiting a bit to double up on this one but ive already pulled the trigger on one and am I glad I did. First time they got this hat right in TBTC form. Correct logo size with the right copper stitching and it's the good 🇺🇸 made construction and fit. People are definitely sleeping on it. It was kind of hard de-flagging this one though do to the felt type backing they put behind the new era stitching. It's the same color as the crown and mine was sort of melted on there
Page 7 of 7   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: