2018 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
titans1127

Post Posted: 07/16/18 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is new era gluing on the flag patches now? At my local Dicks to get a Mets low profile and all the home caps have glued on flags while the alternate home and road are the regular stitched. The regular crowns are the same way.
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/16/18 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
titans1127 wrote:
Is new era gluing on the flag patches now? At my local Dicks to get a Mets low profile and all the home caps have glued on flags while the alternate home and road are the regular stitched. The regular crowns are the same way.

Iíd say itís non-flag left over stock that was converted by gluing them on in store, just my guess.
titans1127

Post Posted: 07/16/18 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
titans1127 wrote:

Iíd say itís non-flag left over stock that was converted by gluing them on in store, just my guess.
Could be possible. I just returned 3 orders back to MLB Shop/Fanatics due to quality and sizing issues and have been trying to find alternate places that sell low crown in store. I'd rather have the stitched on flag but man even at Dicks there was a boat load of crooked brims. It's amazing how New Era lets this stuff leave the factory.
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/16/18 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My July 4th hat is probably the most USAish made in China hat I have. I actually like it a lot, has a nice mid level crown. Feels good and broke in easily.

I bought an ASG hat today and so far it feels very similar. Soft poly and very flexible crown. Iíll see how it turns out after working on the brim.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 07/16/18 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CMPunk wrote:
My July 4th hat is probably the most USAish made in China hat I have. I actually like it a lot, has a nice mid level crown. Feels good and broke in easily.

I bought an ASG hat today and so far it feels very similar. Soft poly and very flexible crown. Iíll see how it turns out after working on the brim.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts!
titans1127

Post Posted: 07/19/18 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been having terrible luck finding a hat that fit right and has no flaws. Looking for a Mets Home and their Road Alternate caps. Ordered 1 of each from MLBShop, Dicks, and Lids and the Home from Fanatics(no road alternate on the site). Got the MLB, Fanatics and half the Dicks order in today and all are going back. Thats 4 hats with issues. One is a tight fit and 3 of them, possibly all 4 have crooked bills. Thats 8 hats over the last week that have had to be returned. Never had this type of bad luck with caps before. I also noticed that 3 of the 4 Home caps have this odd scuff in the same spot on the bill. My local Dicks has the same thing with their in-store stock.

I'll be at Citi Field on Tuesday so I might as well check out what they have and hope they have low profile's in both styles with no issues.
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/19/18 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
titans1127 wrote:
Been having terrible luck finding a hat that fit right and has no flaws. Looking for a Mets Home and their Road Alternate caps. Ordered 1 of each from MLBShop, Dicks, and Lids and the Home from Fanatics(no road alternate on the site). Got the MLB, Fanatics and half the Dicks order in today and all are going back. Thats 4 hats with issues. One is a tight fit and 3 of them, possibly all 4 have crooked bills. Thats 8 hats over the last week that have had to be returned. Never had this type of bad luck with caps before. I also noticed that 3 of the 4 Home caps have this odd scuff in the same spot on the bill. My local Dicks has the same thing with their in-store stock.

I'll be at Citi Field on Tuesday so I might as well check out what they have and hope they have low profile's in both styles with no issues.

Man, this is unfortunately the new normal and seems to have been for a couple of years. Cannot usually order without buying three or more to return them all when they are poorly made or bad fit. Hat Club is the best bet.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/19/18 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
titans1127 wrote:

Man, this is unfortunately the new normal and seems to have been for a couple of years. Cannot usually order without buying three or more to return them all when they are poorly made or bad fit. Hat Club is the best bet.

This is why I've been ordering 2-4 of each hat from lids for the last couple years - i just hope ONE of them actually fits ok. Decided to add a Dodgers (yeah, it might be Machado related) hat to the collection today (I mainly keep to Os and Os affiliates, with some Nats mixed in) and went to one of the local lids and they had 5 regular crown 7 1/4s MUSa - of the 5, 4 were good fuzz, but three of those were way too tight and not true to size. The one I ended up with is fantastic, but it goes to you point on the lack of consistency. I also tried on a 7 1/4 in the low crown as they had one MUSA - oof, the crown was pretty out of shape near the squatchee and it barely fit - the 7 3/8 fit better but the crown just looked too tiny. At least they had one out of 7 total that i tried on that worked. This is definitely the new norm.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/19/18 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
titans1127 wrote:

The Mets road alt has had some bad runs and some really good runs. I got one of the first ones (bought it online before it was officially released) and it had greasy poly and a low/plasticky crown. Checked for a replacement a bit later at Citi Field and every single 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 fit poorly. But another member scored a good one at a NJ Lids around the same time and I eventually found one as well. Keep looking as the good ones are really good, almost 100% MUSA quality.
wallyhopp
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/19/18 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
By now Iím sure they are all imported materials, right? Some may be made in China

Pre 2016 homes are all over the place. No reason to spend retail there. But I see your point on the newer alternates. Itís why I havenít bought a new release on field hat since 2016
titans1127

Post Posted: 07/19/18 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
titans1127 wrote:

The Mets road alt has had some bad runs and some really good runs. I got one of the first ones (bought it online before it was officially released) and it had greasy poly and a low/plasticky crown. Checked for a replacement a bit later at Citi Field and every single 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 fit poorly. But another member scored a good one at a NJ Lids around the same time and I eventually found one as well. Keep looking as the good ones are really good, almost 100% MUSA quality.
Crossing my fingers that my Lids order coming Saturday is flawless. Road alternate came from Dicks today and I would have considered it flawless if not for a slightly off centered and crooked logo and the logo is fraying in almost every corner. So that makes 9 that have to go back. There is one of the 4 home caps that I would have considered keeping but I can't get over the glued on New Era flag. Maybe Citi Field will have good ones in a low crown in my size.
titans1127

Post Posted: 07/21/18 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lids came through this morning with a damn near flawless order. Both caps have straight bills, clean, no loose threads and fit perfectly. The road alternate is MUSA with imported materials and the home is chino. The home also has a glued on flag that looks clean and not so obvious so it seems that gluing on the home caps is the norm as 4 different retailers have them.

Since i'll be at Tuesday's Mets game i'm going to check out the store there and see if they have stitched on flags and maybe MUSA for the home cap and pick one up if they sell low profiles. If not, my entire lids order was a success on the first try! Now to send back 9 duds on Monday lol.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/18 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Prolight trash is already on clearance at Lids. Guru, have they officially given up on this mess and going with something different, next year?
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/18 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
Prolight trash is already on clearance at Lids. Guru, have they officially given up on this mess and going with something different, next year?

I somehow doubt it'll be back in a major way next year. Unlike DE--which were used for several SE caps--MLB's used Prolight for nothing beyond ST caps and I haven't seen any teams wearing them in a regular season game (unlike the occasional games with DE caps).

Hope this stupid experiment is over. Just use regular ole poly, throw a ST patch on the back, and sell them for $40. People will still buy them.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/30/18 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

I somehow doubt it'll be back in a major way next year. Unlike DE--which were used for several SE caps--MLB's used Prolight for nothing beyond ST caps and I haven't seen any teams wearing them in a regular season game (unlike the occasional games with DE caps).

Hope this stupid experiment is over. Just use regular ole poly, throw a ST patch on the back, and sell them for $40. People will still buy them.

I have to agree. These were really, really bad hats. I hated the DEs when they were first out. However, they are way better than these POS.

I would be 100% fine with a poly ST/BP hat, instead of this lighter material stuff. Of course, I would hope for good poly, but let's be I know better.
Page 31 of 35   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: