HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/12/18 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The two retro Tigers hats that Hat Club released this week do not look accurate to me. The logo looks far too big based on pictures I have seen. Is there a Tigers fan on the forum who can confirm/deny my thought?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/12/18 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
The two retro Tigers hats that Hat Club released this week do not look accurate to me. The logo looks far too big based on pictures I have seen. Is there a Tigers fan on the forum who can confirm/deny my thought?

Logos looked too large on a few of their recent release to my eye, including those Tigers caps. I'd have been tempted by the Minneapolis Millers cap for example but the logo is just ridiculously oversized on that one. Same for the Colt 45s release.

It seems to be more common on older designs. I assume that NE can't be bothered to get the size right.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/12/18 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually Hat Club is successful in getting New Era to do it right. Hope that isn't changing...
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/13/18 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe there's a memo attached to all tigers caps that they now have to oversize the crap out of them to match with the new branding?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/20/18 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two MUSA poly customs I've been waiting for a looooong time arrived today. Fantastic green underbrim/no batterman logo recreations of both of these classics. HC didn't really hype these releases but for me personally they're my favorite pickups of the year.

Phils cap crown looks Chino because it took significant effort to make one of the nine I tried wearable. All of the 7 1/2's I tried (some ordered online, some in-store) were uncomfortably tight complete with unusually low crowns. Had this happen on one or two other releases this year. 7 5/8's OTOH were all too large but the smallest seemed fixable in-store so I ordered some more and got to work on the smallest one I received. A steaming followed by just 6 minutes at 300 got it down to the perfect size but as usual with MUSA w/IM caps, some poly separated from the buckram on the crown. Immediately steamed it again, threw it on a Nu-cap and ironed it to re-secure the crown's poly. Worked like a charm but made the crown look kinda Chino. Gonna try steaming and blowdrying to see if I can fix that.

NY Giants cap required much less work. For better or worse, it's basically a modern Mets cap (complete with anachronistic logo) with black poly, a green underbrim and no batterman logo. And just like Mets caps, logo centering is an issue with these. But luckily I received one with both a centered logo and a good fit so all this needed was a quick steam to take some pressure off my forehead. One of the all-time great caps IMO and I'm thrilled that I can finally retire my LC MUSA wool version that I never wear anymore anyway. Just wish the SF Giants would embrace it as part of their history.

Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/21/18 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also picked up that Ny Giants cap and it fits great. Good poly, too!

I am a bit disappointed in the logo, though. As you said, it’s just the Mets cap logo slapped onto a black hat. I have an older (Chino) Cooperstown from Mickeys Place that has the flat embroidered NY, and I was hoping that would’ve carried over. Oh well. HC has basically filled my desires for Giants/Seals caps in MUSA poly, so I’m happy with it.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/25/18 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a fascinating one:

I grabbed the 1962 Atlanta Crackers custom this week. Hat Club marketed it as a 1962 Crackers cap--the AAA team--not the Black Crackers.

Cap comes in today and looking at the labels....there's a Negro Leagues Museum label in there. So, I do some digging. I can't find anything to suggest this was a Black Crackers cap. All the pics from the 60s suggest this was from the minor league Crackers.

Anyone know why this would happen? Factory error?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/25/18 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bucs007 wrote:

I grabbed the 1962 Atlanta Crackers custom this week. Hat Club marketed it as a 1962 Crackers cap--the AAA team--not the Black Crackers.

Cap comes in today and looking at the labels....there's a Negro Leagues Museum label in there. So, I do some digging. I can't find anything to suggest this was a Black Crackers cap. All the pics from the 60s suggest this was from the minor league Crackers.

I've received a few HC customs that should have had a Cooperstown tag but didn't. Assume they're just more screwups by NE.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/18 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HC's stock photos of that Athletics cap look pretty bad. I really hate New Era sometimes. I've had to pass on several awesome HC releases because of their shoddy quality standards.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/26/18 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Bucs007 wrote:

I've received a few HC customs that should have had a Cooperstown tag but didn't. Assume they're just more screwups by NE.

I've had a late 90's era gold brimmed Astros custom hat come with on field tagging. Hell I think a poster here even had a hat come with the tagging sewn backwards. Cases of New Era gonna New Era
tducken

Post Posted: 10/31/18 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just saw that Hat Club is doing their mystery box special. Anyone done this before?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/02/18 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Took a chance on the Philadelphia Athletics custom since it's a wish list cap and I was unfortunately correct to doubt the poly quality. It's not the absolute worst but it's not up to my standards. Both the thickness and fuzziness are the definition of middling: doesn't feel paper thin and I think there actually is some fine fuzz. It reminds me of a road Wahoo cap I picked up a couple of months ago that fooled me at first. Also has Chino-style tags that stick out, something I'm noticing more and more with MUSA w/IM caps.

Fit, crown and brim are excellent FWIW. Also has a great flat logo. I suspect some on here might consider these acceptable but mine are unfortunately going back. Hopefully HC does a restock on these eventually but no sizes have sold out yet so I'm not holding my breath.

Took photos to try to demonstrate poly quality and it just goes to show how these lackluster MUSA w/IM caps can be hard to spot without actually handling in person. I feel like I'm flying blind buying from HC these days without Guru around to confirm poly quality. Crying or Very sad

wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 11/26/18 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some solid bf/cyber Monday deals. Can't help but feel slightly slighted. Like they're playing games with us.

Started off with a buy one get one 40% off, which is basically 20% off. So not exactly great. Then they had a 25% off discount for og members but you can't log in to get credit for it. All just very weird.

Then they had 30% off MiLB only. Then they had buy 2 get one free. Then 30% off. Then 50% off sale items. Then 35% off. Now 40% Off.

Sadly I think I got some stuff at buy two get one free, which is around 33% off. Then I happened to do another a day or two later at 35% off. Saw a few hats I order go into the sales department. So I lost out there.

800 orders placed between my two orders. It may be awhile for our orders to process and go through.

Anyone else score anything worthwhile?
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 11/26/18 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
Some solid bf/cyber Monday deals. Can't help but feel slightly slighted. Like they're playing games with us.

Started off with a buy one get one 40% off, which is basically 20% off. So not exactly great. Then they had a 25% off discount for og members but you can't log in to get credit for it. All just very weird.

Then they had 30% off MiLB only. Then they had buy 2 get one free. Then 30% off. Then 50% off sale items. Then 35% off. Now 40% Off.

Sadly I think I got some stuff at buy two get one free, which is around 33% off. Then I happened to do another a day or two later at 35% off. Saw a few hats I order go into the sales department. So I lost out there.

800 orders placed between my two orders. It may be awhile for our orders to process and go through.

How do you know 800 orders were placed between your two orders?

These ever-changing "sales" drove me crazy, too. I could not keep up. I didn't realize that the "50% off sale items" offer ended Sunday night. I just grabbed three hats during the final 40% off sale. The final tally worked out to less than $20 per hat, so I can't complain. But it was rather maddening.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 11/26/18 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:

How do you know 800 orders were placed between your two orders?

These ever-changing "sales" drove me crazy, too. I could not keep up. I didn't realize that the "50% off sale items" offer ended Sunday night. I just grabbed three hats during the final 40% off sale. The final tally worked out to less than $20 per hat, so I can't complain. But it was rather maddening.
Page 51 of 58   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: