Strange goings-on in the realm of Low Crowns...View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/22/18 1:28 pm    Post subject: Strange goings-on in the realm of Low Crowns... Reply with quote
So, because I currently only have about 10 or so blue Cubs authentic on-fields in various versions, I found myself at Lids in the local mall today and happened to notice they had some new Low Crowns in-stock. This is always noteworthy, because they rarely have any team well-stocked in LC, and will often go months without getting a new shipment. I have sworn off buying LC's via mail order anymore due to the horrible general QC, so actually seeing some to choose from in-store was at least a minor event for me (and my companion OCD...)

So what was strange? The best cap I found - very surpisingly, drumroll please - was Chinese, and yes - I took it with me. Odd to me that in this day and age of seeing more fit and QC issues come out of China - including for the Cubs what I will only describe as the "fat man logo" variant where the left middle side part of the "C" is embrodered thicker for some reason than the end pieces - that this cap is seemingly so perfect in terms of finishing:

* Nearly perfect visor centering - it may be off by a few millimeters but is acceptable to me, and looks straight in the mirror.

* Perfect, and I mean perfect - logo stictching and centering. For me this usually is what sets the hook on deciding to pickup one of these hats. Even a nicely stitched logo (increasingly they mess up the thickness of the white piping around the red "C" in some way...) from China (and the US too anymore) is frequently too far to the right or left one way or othe other of the center seam. This one in addition to having the correct logo proportions is placed immaculately in proportion to the seam, and sealed the deal for me.

The batterman on the back of the cap, another frequent occurence - is a bit too high on one side - but that can be easily fixed with a needle and thread and 5 minutes onces I get home this evening. While I will admit I can tell this is not the "USA grade" poly - this is by far the nicest sewn New Era LC cap - US or Chinese - that I have seen in a good long while.

You just never know what you are going to get out of NE anymore, I don't guess. So in that regard, this post is not an endorsement for their continuing QC. But I will take it... Again, weird.

-John

go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 10/24/18 12:05 am    Post subject: Totally concur with this. Reply with quote
I had come to the same conclusions on low crowns a few months ago, but didn’t want to admit it here. I’ll almost always look for some sort of MUSA, but with the low crowns I have a few China ones that are just as good as MUSA with a couple of perfect ones.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/24/18 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually preferred the Chino fit over MUSA when I wore low crown a few years ago. Low crown Chino poly is still horrible but overall it's not the night and day difference like with standard crowns.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/24/18 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
I actually preferred the Chino fit over MUSA when I wore low crown a few years ago. Low crown Chino poly is still horrible but overall it's not the night and day difference like with standard crowns.

Yeah the poly on this is inferior. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice cap - but just looking at it from 5 feet away I can still tell it's Chino and not MUSA. My guess it that the casual baseball fan would have no clue. I compared it to my (otherwise perfect but o/c logo) MUSA Low Crown when I got home. The fit is not dramatically different from one to the other.

For me, things like logo stitch quality, centering, and stitching are more important unless the fabric is just completely unacceptable - I tend to wear the hell out of my caps and so eventually even the nicest USA poly is going to start to look worn. With this cap, I started to ask if things besides the poly were actually inferior to an MUSA cap or just different - for the Cubs for example, even the logo stitch shade of red is different for crying out loud - the Chino cap has a slightly brighter red, while the MUSA versions all use the same slightly darker shade of red. I'm so used to MUSA caps that the China red looks wrong to me. But really is it? It is still RED. The Batterman logo is also different, the Chinese version has a thinner white border, while the inside white fill of Mr. batterman is done more tightly than it's US counterpart.

It's funny and a bit scary what I have noticed and can tell about one cap from another anymore...

Last edited by jchcollins on 10/24/18 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/24/18 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*The one other noticeable difference on this cap vs. my MUSA Low Crowns - the NE flag is high on this one. A bit more towards the middle of the panel vertically than what I've always seen. Whatever, I'm over it. It's sewn on straight otherwise, and does not look odd if not placed next to another cap.
mfortuna45
Rookie

Post Posted: 10/25/18 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what size you are, but if you come across a 3/8 Cubs USA (even w/IM) Low Crown can you let me know? If you're upset with any perceived blemishes I'd probably be willing to overlook them myself.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/26/18 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always tell Chino on light-colored caps because you can see the poly has a pattern almost like denim jeans on it.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/26/18 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
You can always tell Chino on light-colored caps because you can see the poly has a pattern almost like denim jeans on it.

I can almost feel the roughness just by looking at photos.

On a related note, I love HC and their promotional shots are better than most but I do wish they could perfect showing off poly quality. I understand that they can't come out and say which releases have the good poly and which don't but they'd avoid returns from people like me if we could better judge the quality of the product before buying.

Today's Athletics release is a good example. It's one of my wish list caps but for the life of me I can't gauge the poly quality. Need a very high resolution close up shot with bright natural quality light to tell on MUSA w/IM caps.

Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: