2019 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
OzYankee

Post Posted: 11/25/18 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
el_gmac wrote:
I went to the team store the day of the released hoping to find US made i checked all the racks in my size a size down and up and nothing, went to Lids today and same results

The brand's cachet will eventually die when they release 100% junk to the general public. I truly hope someone at New Era and Major League Baseball realizes this. Honestly, does no one in upper management at New Era actually wearing the f*cking caps? How do they not see the massive discrepancy in quality?

I would doubt any of them actually wear the product. As for quality, I think that as long as they keep selling them and make a profit they don’t care. Even if sales go down a little they will still make a good profit. Much cheaper to make in China than the U.S. Sales would probably have to dip by 50% or more for the profit difference of Chinese made versus U.S. to make a difference. This is what has happened here in Australia. We dropped our tariffs and now our manufacturing industry has disappeared. Nothing is made here anymore. Most of it is Chinese made. Lower quality, but much cheaper.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/26/18 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got my Marlins hat I ordered the day they were released from MLB Shop. Chinese made garbage. It’s already boxed up and ready to be sent back.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/26/18 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OzYankee wrote:
Guy Gadbois wrote:
el_gmac wrote:
I went to the team store the day of the released hoping to find US made i checked all the racks in my size a size down and up and nothing, went to Lids today and same results

The brand's cachet will eventually die when they release 100% junk to the general public. I truly hope someone at New Era and Major League Baseball realizes this. Honestly, does no one in upper management at New Era actually wearing the f*cking caps? How do they not see the massive discrepancy in quality?

I would doubt any of them actually wear the product. As for quality, I think that as long as they keep selling them and make a profit they don’t care. Even if sales go down a little they will still make a good profit. Much cheaper to make in China than the U.S. Sales would probably have to dip by 50% or more for the profit difference of Chinese made versus U.S. to make a difference. This is what has happened here in Australia. We dropped our tariffs and now our manufacturing industry has disappeared. Nothing is made here anymore. Most of it is Chinese made. Lower quality, but much cheaper.

I remember reading somewhere years back that no one in the office wears the product. However, New Era's president actually knows how to make caps although I doubt he's spent any time on the factory floor in the last 20 years.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/27/18 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiddy Sicks wrote:
I just got my Marlins hat I ordered the day they were released from MLB Shop. Chinese made garbage. It’s already boxed up and ready to be sent back.

Pathetic that they can't even deliver a quality product to early adopters.

Speaking of which, has anybody handled the new Indians two-tone On-Field? I'd promised myself I'd hold off until it got a patch-free release but my light haul over BF and concern over Derby closing has me ready to compromise.
mfortuna45
Rookie

Post Posted: 12/05/18 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any way to tell whether a hat is USA made or Chinese made just from a picture? There's a bunch of hats on eBay I have been looking for but I can't tell the country of origin and the seller told me that they're all in their warehouse when I asked.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/18 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mfortuna45 wrote:
Is there any way to tell whether a hat is USA made or Chinese made just from a picture? There's a bunch of hats on eBay I have been looking for but I can't tell the country of origin and the seller told me that they're all in their warehouse when I asked.

Head-on shots of the cap and close-ups of the poly are most helpful. MUSA caps have indentations on both sides of the crown just above the edge of the brim whereas Chino cap crowns tend to look more perfectly rounded. All of the MUSA caps I've recently bought have these indentations; you can see what they look like on this page: http://neweracaptalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158&start=19290

Close-up shots of the poly used to be a good way to tell if a cap was MUSA because you'd see lots of fuzz but it's harder to tell now with medium grade MUSA w/IM poly muddying the landscape. But you can at least tell that the poly is probably garbage if it looks slick with virtually no fuzz.

Another trick that is no longer fool proof is to look at the tags inside the cap. Chino caps always have the tags on the opposite side of the sweatband sticking out whereas 100% MUSA caps always had those tags neatly tucked away. But MUSA w/IM caps sometimes have sloppy tags as well (in part because they're longer) so you have to be careful when using this as your guide.

Bottom line is that if you see the crown indentations, lots of poly fuzz and neat tags inside the cap you're probably golden. I ask for confirmation that the cap is MUSA most of the time when buying on eBay but I don't bother when it checks all of the above boxes.
mfortuna45
Rookie

Post Posted: 12/05/18 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just ordered 4 low profiles from 2000bestdeals on eBay. They told me they’d check the tags before sending, but the pics shown in the auction were my size and they didn’t appear to be stock photos. I got the all red Nats, home Mets, Rays, and KC. I’ve been looking for the Rays one for a while so I’m really hoping it’s USA.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/06/18 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
mfortuna45 wrote:
I just ordered 4 low profiles from 2000bestdeals on eBay. They told me they’d check the tags before sending, but the pics shown in the auction were my size and they didn’t appear to be stock photos. I got the all red Nats, home Mets, Rays, and KC. I’ve been looking for the Rays one for a while so I’m really hoping it’s USA.

MUSA low crowns were tough to find when they were my preferred style. Pretty much had to buy from MLBshop.com or MLMD (RIP) back then. But a few ballpark team stores and Lids locations started carrying more LC's a year or two ago and many that I've checked have been MUSA. Hopefully yours will be MUSA.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/09/18 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are the Reds doing a side patch for the Red Stockings' 150th this year, or is this a fashion cap thing? I spotted this eBay listing and hadn't seen/heard this mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cincinnati-Reds-New-Era-150th-Anniversary-Authentic-Collection-On-Field-59FIFTY/352538000213?hash=item5214e6fb55:m:mqr-QjXKJv0hNnwK4ie5qPg:rk:13:pf:0&var=621862386279
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/09/18 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
Are the Reds doing a side patch for the Red Stockings' 150th this year, or is this a fashion cap thing? I spotted this eBay listing and hadn't seen/heard this mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cincinnati-Reds-New-Era-150th-Anniversary-Authentic-Collection-On-Field-59FIFTY/352538000213?hash=item5214e6fb55:m:mqr-QjXKJv0hNnwK4ie5qPg:rk:13:pf:0&var=621862386279

Yeah, that's been available at Lids.com and maybe elsewhere for a while now.

https://www.lids.com/cincinnati-reds-new-era-2019-mlb-authentic-collection-anniversary-patch-59fifty-cap/21100152
Izzy2014
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/11/18 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://flic.kr/p/RnWzGS
The new Miami Marlins hat has arrived in Northern California. All China-made
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/11/18 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Izzy2014 wrote:
https://flic.kr/p/RnWzGS
The new Miami Marlins hat has arrived in Northern California. All China-made

Disappointing that none of them seem to be MUSA but if I'm being honest it's not a cap I'm super motivated to buy anyway. You took a pretty flattering photo but I just don't see anything very interesting in the cap besides the pink accents. The old solid black Florida Marlins cap is better and so is the solid black Diamondbacks custom HC put out. This new cap needs more color and a less generic font.

On a related note, I stretched and broke in my orange small M Marlins cap and it's really grown on me. The big M version by comparison now looks quite silly on my head. Also prefer it to the solid orange Astros cap, something I never though I'd say. I suspect the Loria logo might have actually made it had it been smaller from the outset and the main team colors been orange and sea blue instead of almost exclusively black.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/12/18 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I swear, the first leaked pic of the Loria logo cap looked like the M was the size it wound up being last year. It wasn't until later the cartoonishly large M showed up. Maybe it was an optical illusion but the first pic sure didn't look like it was that large.
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/12/18 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
I swear, the first leaked pic of the Loria logo cap looked like the M was the size it wound up being last year. It wasn't until later the cartoonishly large M showed up. Maybe it was an optical illusion but the first pic sure didn't look like it was that large.

This was the leaked pic back in 2011

http://neweramlb.blogspot.com/2011/10/leaked-miami-marlins-new-era.html
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/12/18 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ That M looks to be the same proportions as the small M cap I'm wearing right now. Wonder why they embiggened it after the leak?

---

Saw the following pic on the MLB app and my eye was immediately drawn to the black hole that is the new Marlins cap. Fitting that it's right next to MLB's other monochrome cap. Also find it interesting that the new Marlins cap was added but Wahoo's still hanging around on official MLB promotional material. Seems to be the old small D Tigers cap too.

Page 3 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: