HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/04/18 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wally, you basically confirmed my fears regarding poly quality on several of those caps. This middle grade MUSA w/IM poly seems to be becoming more common and I find it very hard to pick it up in photos. I've even been initially fooled when hurriedly handling them in-store.

I'm a stickler for fuzzy/thick poly so it sounds like I would have had to send all of those back. Your report is much appreciated. Wink
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/04/18 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Left some impressions in the pick up post.

In closing, of 7 MUSA IM POLY HC caps, only one (87 twins) has the performance poly fuzz. I don't think I'll be buying from HC again unless it's at 25% off or greater. I'm not one to return things often. I like the designs first and foremost. Stitching and fit are solid. But they damn sure aren't worth retail.

With a 1 in 7 ratio of great:mid grade, I'm not liking those odds for future purchases. It feels like NE may not even have the fuzz available at this rate.

I haven't owned a dark Navy ON-FIELD since a late 2016 Indians purchase. Are all 2017-current caps trending towards non fuzz? I haven't even walked into a store to see or touch them so I'm wondering how current era caps are. If 85% of HCs caps are non fuzz, the trend for on fields has to be close to that. Although guy, you did mention the smaller M Miami cap has solid fuzz and that's a recent redesign
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/06/18 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
I haven't owned a dark Navy ON-FIELD since a late 2016 Indians purchase. Are all 2017-current caps trending towards non fuzz? I haven't even walked into a store to see or touch them so I'm wondering how current era caps are. If 85% of HCs caps are non fuzz, the trend for on fields has to be close to that. Although guy, you did mention the smaller M Miami cap has solid fuzz and that's a recent redesign

Black MUSA poly has been 100% high quality the last year or so. It is as close to a sure thing as you can get with NE these days. Other colors that I haven't seen get bad poly: burgundy, white, cream, NW green, dark purple, forest green, burnt orange and baby blue. Seen others give the thumbs up to bright orange, bright green and gray poly.

Dark navy has been all over the place when it comes to poly quality, most of it bad. The 87 Twins cap is one of the rare exceptions (along with a few other HC customs). Light navy has also been poor. Almost all of the red poly I've seen has been the exact same fuzz free variety; I have a couple recent special release red caps with good poly and two recent On-Fields. Both bright and dark royal blue have been a crapshoot though the dark variety seems to be trending downward in quality. I've never handled brown and graphite MUSA poly but Guru said they've both been sh*t for years.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 12/06/18 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked up the recent Blue Jays graphite throwback and yeah, the poly quality is pretty bad. It’s not MISERABLY bad like red and some of the navy, but it’s definitely not good.

Also, the recent MLS caps they’ve done have been downright terrible. The Quales cap I got is suspect but still ok. The Sounders cap I recently picked up on their 50% off sale is probably the worst MUSA poly cap I’ve ever bought.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/08/18 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed Hat Club put up a 1997 Brewers 'M' hat for sale today. Does the logo look too big to anyone else?
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/08/18 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah. Slightly too big. Maybe retro classic status. Impulse bought their only size 7 7/8. Impressions to come Next week.
I'd have to look through my archives but the Chinese customs that is lingering around seems perfect size

The green color alone is a must buy for me. They got so much right.

Edit. Here's a shot I got a year ago of retro classic vs Chinese custom

For the HC exclusive, atleast it appears they got the light Navy right. But it does appear to be a flat larger logo, as if they stole it from lids. Interesting.

This may be the first 1997 light Navy cap I have ever seen reproduced somewhat correctly. It is what it is I guess
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/15/18 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Early nineties home Tucson Toros is vintage quality. Seriously, it's like the FYOF caps that you can wear right out of the box. And I don't know where they found it but these have the good red poly, not that nasty greasy sh*t that's almost every other red MUSA w/IM cap gets these day. Logo angle is a bit different from cap to cap so you might want to get multiples if that kind of thing bothers you; it's very minor but I did notice a slight tilt of the logo on another one I was considering.

Thanks to Brett for being a second pair of eyes before buying and then checking in person to confirm quality. Wink

wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/16/18 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quality looks great. I wonder how the yellow horns T cap is that just released

HC went from shipping 5 boxes for 7 hats within 4 days of ordering during BF, to now being 8 days since my order and no response and no shipping info. I don't get these guys. This order is just two caps. I'm fearful it'll missing a christmas gift deadline now. Tempted to ask for a refund on Monday.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/16/18 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
Quality looks great. I wonder how the yellow horns T cap is that just released

HC went from shipping 5 boxes for 7 hats within 4 days of ordering during BF, to now being 8 days since my order and no response and no shipping info. I don't get these guys. This order is just two caps. I'm fearful it'll missing a christmas gift deadline now. Tempted to ask for a refund on Monday.

Yellow horn road cap is supposed to be of comparable quality. I'm trying very hard not to order both to complete my set. Shocked

That Toros cap shipped very quickly btw. I suspect your previous orders came from the main warehouse (as did my Toros cap probably) whereas your current order is probably waiting on a store or two to ship the caps you ordered. They can take forever and don't give tracking info unfortunately.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/20/18 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Monday (10 days after my order), I start a chat with them and they said the two caps will ship out that day with free priority. Two days go by and I randomly receive a hat club hat cancellation email. They're sold out of my 7 7/8 1997 Brewers cap.

The crappy part of all this is I easily could've ordered a smaller or larger size as of last Saturday. But now everything is sold out. Yesterday they said they would contact new era cap to see about another hat in my size and respond to me withing 24 hours.

29 hours later, no email or response. They did ship out one of the two hats yesterday. I'm glad this crap fest wasn't really a gift (anymore) and I'm glad it didn't happen with their BF Sales. Having to deal with this with 7 caps would've been a nightmare. I did get a refund on the Brewers cap and they mentioned shipping it out complimentary if they can find another in my size.

Solid customer service for sure. But I can't help but feel like I'm doing all the leg work. I'll give it until 3pm tomorrow before seeing what they say about the inquiry to new era cap. This may be my last order with HC until they can assure me this won't happen again.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 12/31/18 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So they never followed through on sending a complimentary cap my way.

I did see they got a restock of the 97 Brewers in my size and just decided to do a separate purchase. No love lost as they did send a $10 GC for my initial troubles. Maybe that was their way of saying they can't send a free cap but here's $10 bucks.

Onto some impressions.

Slightly fuzzy.
M logo is slightly off center. Uhh.

I threw in a made in China retro to show the contrast in color and size of the M logo. Since I don't own the original, I want to say there were maybe two colors of Navy used on the uppers. I've seen both around the internet. Unless it's just the lighting. Aside from the upper color, the M is definitely too big on the HC. It's bordering on the same size of the crappy lids retro classic. The Chinese retro uses a blueish green for it's border. While the HC is more of a regular green. I believe the team had more of a blueish green. The Chinese retro M is slightly more raised and defined. This feels more in line the HCs.

Overall, the HC does have the correct essence of that era including a red and blue batterman, which is one oversight 95% of retros get wrong plus the slightly fuzzy Musa im poly is a step above made in China wool

Giving the cap a solid B score. A smaller M and more centered M work make it an easy A
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/11/19 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cannot beat the quality on these for around $19 shipped each. The '83 Giants especially is one of those caps that doesn't truly impress until you've seen it in person, logo accuracy be damned. I really want a MUSA poly gray underbrim modern logo SF Giants cap now. Shocked

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/21/19 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bad news: dark green (forest green?) MUSA poly is no longer 100% reliable. Picked up the solid dark green Devil Rays custom from HC and was bummed to feel slick poly when I took it out of the box.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/05/19 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disappointed guys. Anyone ever see this happen on a crown?

This is from the recent 1987 green under Minnesota twins HC custom.

About halfway up the front right middle seam, it's simply coming apart.

I couldn't have had this more than a couple months with less than 15 wears.

I think im done spending money on these newer caps at inflated prices. Y'all think I can get a refund for this?

MUS quality is now a joke too. I have 300 wear beater caps that haven't done this. What the hell.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/06/19 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ Just received a few older MUSA w/IM caps from MLB Shop with that issue. Also have a few otherwise high quality red MUSA w/IM caps with minor but still noticeable seam separation on the crown. Construction quality definitely took a hit after the switch to imported material.
Page 53 of 58   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: