2019 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/07/19 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spent a week out in Arizona for the Cactus League and got to handle a lot of the ST/BP caps. Never would have expected it but I got seriously addicted to these and would have bought several more had the prices not been ridiculous at some of the ballparks. The selection at Lids was pretty standard at all the Phoenix stores as well unfortunately. Besides the caps pictured, I also like the Cubs and Brewers alts. Of two minds on the Giants road cap (wish the home cap omitted the stupid gold accents as well) but was tempted to pick that one up as well.

Bottom line is these are the best Chino caps I've ever handled. The material & fit are super comfortable and construction is far less stiff than the old DE's (won't even bother comparing to last year's laughably bad Prolights). The material reminds me a bit of the mesh Retro Classics only softer. Construction is much better than on those caps with many that I tried on relatively wearable with minimal breaking in necessary depending on how curved you like your brim and how low you like your crown. One release even had the classic MUSA indents at the base of the crown (pictured below). I'd have bought that one had it not been for the disgusting sticker price price (also pictured). Price is acceptable IMO when purchased at Lids with a discount card. Never would have said that about any DE release. Finally, the gray underbrim/gray sweatband combo looks pretty clean IMO and I like the minimalist design of the patch. It really pops under sunlight.

As far as negatives, all but that one White Sox style did NOT have the MUSA indents so they still look funky when viewed head-on (Giants cap is shown after being broken in and worn; black White Sox cap is still like new). Crown height/shape is also unreliable with many feeling too shallow on my massive dome. My first purchase had an overly rounded crown and when I replaced it at another Lids I discovered an even bigger issue: the ST patch is uneven on most of these and ridiculously so on some. Be sure to order a few to choose from if you want a true fit and relatively level patch (you're unlikely to receive one that's perfectly level so don't bother trying). The cap can also feel a bit slippery once you've broken it in due to the fabric. You might want to buy a bit small if you have an oval shaped head and/or like to curve your brim.

I also handled a few St. Paddy's Day caps out there. The Giants were all MUSA and surprisingly I'd recommend the Chinos over the MUSAs with this material. No difference in material quality and the MUSA crowns were all wrinkled and overly tight on my forehead.

wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/08/19 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The road tigers 150th is out

Ahh much better. Stars realigning back to the norm
https://www.mlbshop.com/detroit-tigers/mens-detroit-tigers-new-era-navy-road-mlb-150th-anniversary-authentic-collection-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-25881938+p-8160129909977+z-9-3531841026

I tried hard to overlay the three styles together and this may be a 1/4 inch bigger than the original. The larger one is just laughable. The small to mid difference is negligible by a simple eye test. I'd say if you have the smaller style from the past, you may be alright passing on the "new" D.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 03/08/19 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this detailed assessment, Guy. You have such a keen eye and expertise. Always helpful. I'm sure I'll grab a couple of these.

RIP to the Prolights!
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/09/19 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
The road tigers 150th is out

Ahh much better. Stars realigning back to the norm
https://www.mlbshop.com/detroit-tigers/mens-detroit-tigers-new-era-navy-road-mlb-150th-anniversary-authentic-collection-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-25881938+p-8160129909977+z-9-3531841026

I tried hard to overlay the three styles together and this may be a 1/4 inch bigger than the original. The larger one is just laughable. The small to mid difference is negligible by a simple eye test. I'd say if you have the smaller style from the past, you may be alright passing on the "new" D.

Clicking through that link I don't think I would have noticed the logo size difference if I wasn't looking for it. Still not sure I see it to be honest. lol Poly quality looks pretty bad in those photos though. Crying or Very sad

MrRedLegs wrote:
Thanks for this detailed assessment, Guy. You have such a keen eye and expertise. Always helpful. I'm sure I'll grab a couple of these.

RIP to the Prolights!

Thank you so much, RedLegs. I agonized over buying several of these Spring Training caps and that's probably why I had so much to report about them. lol

I can now add that they take well to steam. I actually left one on a pot turned down low for much longer than I wanted and it neither ruined the brim nor wrinkled the crown. It did make the brim ultra-shapeable however and created a de facto low crown cap after it shaped to my head after wearing it while it was still damp/warm. Another steaming and quick manual flattening of the brim corrected that.
titans1127

Post Posted: 03/09/19 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great overview Guy, I have to agree that I really like the new material. Its very soft and super comfortable. I picked up the Mets version as a 3930 and don't regret the purchase one bit. I would love to pick up a couple more but there are too many designs that I like and would want to buy and I don't want to get sucked into buying too many fitted like I did a few years back that I wore 5 times and now can't get anyone to buy off me.

Definitely recommend anyone interested to pick up the new ST/BP caps. Even if you weren't a fan of the Diamond Era material, I think you'll be impressed.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/09/19 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
titans1127 wrote:
Great overview Guy, I have to agree that I really like the new material. Its very soft and super comfortable. I picked up the Mets version as a 3930 and don't regret the purchase one bit. I would love to pick up a couple more but there are too many designs that I like and would want to buy and I don't want to get sucked into buying too many fitted like I did a few years back that I wore 5 times and now can't get anyone to buy off me.

Definitely recommend anyone interested to pick up the new ST/BP caps. Even if you weren't a fan of the Diamond Era material, I think you'll be impressed.

Saw a TON of the 3930s on people's heads at Cactus League ballparks. Tried one on and it wasn't my cup of tea but they looked great on people who weren't me. lol
titans1127

Post Posted: 03/09/19 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
titans1127 wrote:

Saw a TON of the 3930s on people's heads at Cactus League ballparks. Tried one on and it wasn't my cup of tea but they looked great on people who weren't me. lol
Yeah depending on head size, they dont always look right on some people. I'm a 7 1/4 and have loved that the low profile 5950's became widespread and were the only style I would buy. But New Era's recent quality control and fit issues had me willing to give the 3930's a shot. Had to return 3 so far with crooked brims but the flex fit makes it so much easier to have a hat that will fit regardless if my hair is short or grown out a bit.
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/09/19 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:

RIP to the Prolights!

They all should be burned and buried the closets to the earth core as possible, those things are nasty
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/09/19 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy I recently picked the Marlins BP from my local Lids and let me tell you I was hesitant to get a reg crown , tried one at Marlins Park and felt high and boxy, and I was going to settle for a LC. But LC doesn't agreed with my face so never ordered it, and most of the sizes sold out .
After watching a few SP game on TV I realized that the reg crown didn't look high nor boxy on players that curved their brim so I decided to give the reg crown a shot and I glad I did.
Fits awesome once you curve the brim fits amazing. I picked the tightest one of the two I tried.
Also ordered the grey Giants and A's from HC

Guy Gadbois wrote:

Holy Crap that price tag

jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/09/19 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the people who have tried the new BP/spring training caps, would you recommend buying true to size or going down a step?
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/09/19 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
For the people who have tried the new BP/spring training caps, would you recommend buying true to size or going down a step?

True to size for me. I’ve bought the Sox ST BP and the St. Patick’s Day cap. Both are comfortable.
MinnyHatter
Beginner

Post Posted: 03/09/19 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
bamahater wrote:
Was at a Lids Lockerroom and found a rare hat, a MIUSAWIM new Marlins AC hat. From all I gathered on here and from looking in person they have all been Chino made so far. It was 1 hat out of the 4 they had. Not sure if this means they made a run of US made hats for retail sale or I lucked upon a hat made for the team that made it to retail.

I also just found one of these at a Lids in Minnesota. it was a 7 1/2, only one of the 6 hats they had that was Made in USA. I didn't get a pic but the poly quality was pretty good, much better then the other china made caps
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/09/19 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
el_gmac wrote:
Holy Crap that price tag

Closer to $55 with tax too. Shocked No tax on caps here in PA so I was looking at almost double what I'd pay at Lids with my discount card. Just incredible gouging. I think at least one Cactus League ballpark was charging the MSRP for 5950s so there's no excuses for Camelback Ranch's greed here.

jfi wrote:

Buy true to size but get multiples to choose from if possible. As gmac said, you're probably gonna want to curve the brim on these a bit to give them a less boxy look and the material's slickness means they feel quite loose even when they're just a touch too big. Ideally you'll want one that's snug with a flat brim.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/10/19 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Giants St. Paddy's were USA made?!?!?!
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/10/19 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
The Giants St. Paddy's were USA made?!?!?!

The 7 1/2's at Scottsdale Stadium were. But unfortunately they really were very poorly made. The new material doesn't seem to like the less rigid MUSA crown construction.
Page 11 of 33   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: