Post Posted: 03/20/19 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kyle287 wrote:
1. NE moves some manufacturing to Asia

2. Quality control is awful

3. Market is saturated with Asia-made product

4. Caps made in US feature imported materials

5. NE closes Derby plant

6. Lids is no more.

This is the end of my rope folks. I really don't like buying caps anymore. eBay is looking pretty good right now.

Yep. That's where I'm at. Its not fun anymore.
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guarantee those fanatics coupons exclude on fields.

That a-hole Markie says on IG "Don't get mad. Support brick and mortar" Yeah, I'd love to but they won't stock any special event caps. Fanatics essentially has a monopoly on MLB on fields now if you want anything other than a team's main cap.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CMPunk wrote:

That a-hole Markie says on IG "Don't get mad. Support brick and mortar" Yeah, I'd love to but they won't stock any special event caps. Fanatics essentially has a monopoly on MLB on fields now if you want anything other than a team's main cap.

I'm sure he is sweating bullets. He is going to be unemployed soon.
djtdawg

Post Posted: 03/21/19 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
CMPunk wrote:

Maybe Sean Doolittle will write an OpEd to show his support.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CMPunk, small hint. Just because they say certain things are excluded, doesn't always mean they are. Fansedge was having 25% last night and almost everything applied there. $27 new release on fields beats out lids. The other difference I see now is that the custom.and exclusive caps are all gone. Deals are slightly to be had at fanatics branches. they'll definitely be losing sales volume business. But maybe not working at a total loss per hat anymore.

This got me thinking. Fanzz.com went down a couple of months back
Then someone posted this this morning
https://sgbonline.com/lids-sports-group-acquisition-secures-financing/

Helping streamline the online portion is what they apparently needed help with. Reality is harsh. The die hards kept lids going for quite awhile. Business was bad. Stuff always on sale for a reason. New era on field sales are flat.

Sounds like they're cutting their losses and will see the remaining normal items while in stock in store. It's why they're stressing in store. That's the last bit they truly own.
kyle287

Post Posted: 03/21/19 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just talked to a Lids online agent and gave her my 2 cents (our 3 dollars to be honest). She just fed me automatic replys and BS. Just bought my last hat off Fanatics because I was forced to. There is nowhere else to get spring training caps other than the Fanatics branded sites. It'll most likely be eBay from now on.
caplover83

Post Posted: 03/21/19 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
djtdawg wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:
CMPunk wrote:

Maybe Sean Doolittle will write an OpEd to show his support.

And get basic facts incorrect in said OpEd.
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/21/19 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CMPunk wrote:
So Lids is a fanatics site now and they’re pulling from the same inventory. Great.

A friend of mine worked for Lids for ~20 years in marketing and most recently as a supply chain manager and was laid off a couple of months ago. He knew it was coming, too...he said Lids had been bought by some private equity firm a while ago who made it very clear they were going to gut the company and lay people off. He luckily landed on his feet and got another job a couple of weeks later, but it's a sign of the times...
lhg39
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/21/19 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just at the mall for a haircut so I stopped by the Lids.
The lady working there told me that as of yesterday the stores have no connection at all to the website.
I did manage to find made in USA 7 3/8 Tigers and A’s home caps (imported material). Although I didn’t really need them, I figured this may be my last chance to easily get a MiUSA cap.
My Access Pass 20% off worked fine, they just had to type my email in.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lhg39 wrote:
The lady working there told me that as of yesterday the stores have no connection at all to the website.
I did manage to find made in USA 7 3/8 Tigers and A’s home caps (imported material). Although I didn’t really need them, I figured this may be my last chance to easily get a MiUSA cap.

Well that is good the 20% still works. I'm sure the points I've earned are history. I need to find a US made 2019 Indians home hat. I'm not crazy about the hat, but if I don't get one this year, I'll never get one.
lhg39
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/21/19 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
lhg39 wrote:

Well that is good the 20% still works. I'm sure the points I've earned are history. I need to find a US made 2019 Indians home hat. I'm not crazy about the hat, but if I don't get one this year, I'll never get one.

I was more excited about finding two MiUSA hats that fit well.
Of note, all of the Angels on fields were made in Haiti, Yankees and Marlins were all China and most of the other Tigers caps were Bangladesh.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To their credit, they did send an email today

A bit laughable to say variety will be enhanced when they just lost 80% of their inventory. And they continue to stress shopping in store to see the latest styles and releases. Stores will have 300 styles max. So how is variety expanding? All corporate BS Talk. What else is new.
Bucs007
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/19 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it’s been real, y’all.

I think I’m gonna save my hat money and buy one new Ebbets Field Flannel per year or something. That ain’t getting outsourced, nor is Fanatics taking it over.

Since we’re being all morose about the state of hats, I just want to says thanks. This forum gave me a fun outlet for an obsession I’ve had since the early-90s. I even brought up this forum at work when we were working on ways to organize around the Derby closure. Pretty sure my coworkers think I’m crazy, but whatevs.

Y’all stay cool and maybe we’ll run into each other on other forums.

Peace!
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/22/19 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one should have to quit collecting completely. There's always going to be eBay, and then HatClub for those that still want exclusive styles even though they won't be made in the USA anymore. I'd like to see HatClub do vintage/retro MiLB exclusives with Ebbets Field Flannels now, but from what I've been told they don't get along. But hey, what do I know. Just so everyone knows, EFF CAN produce ANY "non-contemporary" MiLB cap. Unfortunately no matter what, the days of contemporary MiLB caps made in USA ends this year. That sucks big time.

However...

In regards to MLB made in USA caps, all hope is not lost. Let's build a support network. Once the Derby MLB stuff starts to vanish from stores, everyone here that attends MLB games can help others get the game used/team issued Miami-made caps by buying at the game used booths at the ballpark and fan fest sales, etc. It's sad that it's come to this, but I'm not going to just throw in the towel and abandon this hobby. Plus, by buying game used/team issued directly from the team, we're not directly giving New Era our money. Most, if not all game used sales go to charities run by the team or charities that they partner with. We all win in that regard because we're supporting those that benefit from charity AND New Era ain't gettin' nothing from us.

When it necessitates itself, let's start a thread for game used/team issued cap runs. For example, someone can say "I'll be at an A's game on (insert date). Is anyone looking for anything?" Someone can then PM that person and exchange details.

We don't have to quit the hobby and we don't have to freak out and lose our minds over this. I'm not. We just need to organize and help each-other out a little. We can do it!

*mic drop*
lhg39
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/23/19 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in the area so stopped by the Hat Club store at the Garden State Plaza mall (it is about an hour from my home). First time I have ever been an actual store of theirs. Found a Made in USA with USA poly Angels cap!

They had the new Marlins cap MiUSA imported poly in size 7 1/4 only. All other sizes were made in China Sad.
Page 7 of 10   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: