2019 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
lhg39
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/23/19 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LaughingIndian wrote:
Hey I know you guys were all saying that the Marlins caps y’all have been finding are Chinese. Well at lids in Durham NC almost all, except 3 or so we’re USA made and I got a nice one in size 7 3/8 for me. I even bought my 1 year old son a Red Sox cap size 6 7/8 for him because it was a nice USA made one. He won’t be able to wear it for a while but I figured that the way it is going that it might be my only chance to get him a quality one. I know I contradicted myself from my earlier post but I’m a nut. I love caps and I couldn’t help myself. 😂 I will just continue to be very selective about what I buy. I actually bought the new Red Sox and Braves BP caps. I know that they are all Chinese but I actually love the material. Way better than the Diamond Era material, soft, holds its shape way better and doesn’t flop, and it’s really cool and comfortable. I think that they finally got the BP caps material right! Hopefully they won’t change it again!

Do you get to that mall much? I am looking for a MiUSA new style Marlins cap in 7 3/8 with no luck.
mfortuna45
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/23/19 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lhg39 wrote:
LaughingIndian wrote:
Hey I know you guys were all saying that the Marlins caps y’all have been finding are Chinese. Well at lids in Durham NC almost all, except 3 or so we’re USA made and I got a nice one in size 7 3/8 for me. I even bought my 1 year old son a Red Sox cap size 6 7/8 for him because it was a nice USA made one. He won’t be able to wear it for a while but I figured that the way it is going that it might be my only chance to get him a quality one. I know I contradicted myself from my earlier post but I’m a nut. I love caps and I couldn’t help myself. 😂 I will just continue to be very selective about what I buy. I actually bought the new Red Sox and Braves BP caps. I know that they are all Chinese but I actually love the material. Way better than the Diamond Era material, soft, holds its shape way better and doesn’t flop, and it’s really cool and comfortable. I think that they finally got the BP caps material right! Hopefully they won’t change it again!

Do you get to that mall much? I am looking for a MiUSA new style Marlins cap in 7 3/8 with no luck.

By chance, I may have been at that same Lids about a week ago. It was the Lids Locker Room at Southpoint Mall. I didn't see a 3/8 MiUSA. I did see a 7 1/2 though.
MrRed
Beginner

Post Posted: 03/23/19 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A local sporting goods store in Cincinnati received a shipment of Reds TBTC caps this weekend (via @KochSports):

They aren't available yet on their website, and currently, there are no other listings that I could find on New Era's website, Lids, or MLBShop with the exception of the 1967-1990 cap:

https://www.mlbshop.com/cincinnati-reds/mens-cincinnati-reds-new-era-red-1967-90-150th-anniversary-turn-back-the-clock-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-25882024+p-7058535586404+z-9-2096608700

But unfortunately, this listing (as well as the 1995 cap in the top left of the first image) confirms the fears I had at the beginning of this thread - that the wishbone 'c' on select styles would be incorrect. The 1967-1990 and 1995 caps have their 'c' taken straight from the Reds' batting helmets / team logo. This 'c' is way too big and open ended, very different from the smaller and more compact / rounded 'c' on the caps of the time period. This sucks, but at the end of the day, I have extreme doubt there are any MUSA WIM caps out there, so I can't say I was planning to pick up any.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 03/24/19 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRed wrote:
A local sporting goods store in Cincinnati received a shipment of Reds TBTC caps this weekend (via @KochSports):

But unfortunately, this listing (as well as the 1995 cap in the top left of the first image) confirms the fears I had at the beginning of this thread - that the wishbone 'c' on select styles would be incorrect. The 1967-1990 and 1995 caps have their 'c' taken straight from the Reds' batting helmets / team logo. This 'c' is way too big and open ended, very different from the smaller and more compact / rounded 'c' on the caps of the time period. This sucks, but at the end of the day, I have extreme doubt there are any MUSA WIM caps out there, so I can't say I was planning to pick up any.

These hats look absolutely amazing in a photograph. Sadly, I imagine they are all made in Asia and of low quality to the human touch and feel.

A year from now, will cap collectors want to purchase much of anything new?

As for the incorrect wishbone C, it’s incredible how often that helmet C has been used on throwback hats. Such little attention to historical detail — yet another reason to make avid collectors weep.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/24/19 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRed wrote:

They aren't available yet on their website, and currently, there are no other listings that I could find on New Era's website, Lids, or MLBShop with the exception of the 1967-1990 cap:

https://www.mlbshop.com/cincinnati-reds/mens-cincinnati-reds-new-era-red-1967-90-150th-anniversary-turn-back-the-clock-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-25882024+p-7058535586404+z-9-2096608700

What a shame. Those could have been some really nice hats. I used have Roman version of the third from the right, top row. That was good looking hat.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 03/24/19 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
MrRed wrote:

What a shame. Those could have been some really nice hats. I used have Roman version of the third from the right, top row. That was good looking hat.

I have that Roman hat. The thing is, collectors have beefed because Roman's throwback, while a great-looking hat, also is inaccurate. There was no navy blue outline around the wishbone C on those white crowned 1950s Reds hats. So it's not just NE that messes up history. Roman, American Needle and others do it, too.

Here's what the 1950s version looked like:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/264727284330147089/?autologin=true
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/24/19 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, Roman wasn't perfect. Still, I wish they had not folded.
Slappy
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/24/19 9:26 pm    Post subject: Miami Marlins Reply with quote
Was at Lids today iin Pittsburgh and pick up a Marlins new style MiUSA hat in 7 3/8. Also got a chinese Yankees hat. Was talking to the guy at the store about Chinese vs USA made hats and he said he knew little about the Derby store closing. Said he has 200 hats and never looked where they were made. I showed him a Miami hat from China and one from US and the differences - lighter weight, different color material, thinner brim and logo stiching. He said he leared something today. LOL

Was looking online for a TB Rays hat and couldnt understand why Lids.com and Fanatics were exactly alike. Lids had no special hats and prices were identical. Then I found a link here saying that Fanatics now owns Lids! What the deuce?!? Well there goes that company.... Everything seems to be going down the tubes, now hat buying too.....
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/24/19 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dumb question but does anyone remember if MLB stadiums usually stock the St. Patrick’s Day caps? Having trouble tracking down the Yankees since Lids inventory vanished but I’ll be at the stadium next week.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/25/19 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CMPunk wrote:
Dumb question but does anyone remember if MLB stadiums usually stock the St. Patrick’s Day caps? Having trouble tracking down the Yankees since Lids inventory vanished but I’ll be at the stadium next week.

Not sure but the park in Tampa should have them. I visited Dunedin, Bradenton and Clearwater last week and they all carried the St Patrick’s day caps.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/25/19 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRedLegs wrote:
I have that Roman hat. The thing is, collectors have beefed because Roman's throwback, while a great-looking hat, also is inaccurate. There was no navy blue outline around the wishbone C on those white crowned 1950s Reds hats. So it's not just NE that messes up history. Roman, American Needle and others do it, too.

Here's what the 1950s version looked like:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/264727284330147089/?autologin=true

I think HC put out an accurate version last year. Was during a run of several releases I wanted and I had to pass on it. Definitely kicking myself over that decision. Sad
Slappy
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/25/19 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
CMPunk wrote:

Not sure but the park in Tampa should have them. I visited Dunedin, Bradenton and Clearwater last week and they all carried the St Patrick’s day caps.

I was in Tampa on the 15th at GSF and they had them there, expesive though, like $48 or 50 I think.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/25/19 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Miami Marlins Reply with quote
Slappy wrote:
Was at Lids today iin Pittsburgh and pick up a Marlins new style MiUSA hat in 7 3/8. Also got a chinese Yankees hat. Was talking to the guy at the store about Chinese vs USA made hats and he said he knew little about the Derby store closing. Said he has 200 hats and never looked where they were made. I showed him a Miami hat from China and one from US and the differences - lighter weight, different color material, thinner brim and logo stiching. He said he leared something today. LOL

Was looking online for a TB Rays hat and couldnt understand why Lids.com and Fanatics were exactly alike. Lids had no special hats and prices were identical. Then I found a link here saying that Fanatics now owns Lids! What the deuce?!? Well there goes that company.... Everything seems to be going down the tubes, now hat buying too.....

Dude probably went home and checked them all was like "s, 198 Chinese made trash."
mattman

Post Posted: 03/25/19 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I live in Cincy and confirmed with the store that all the Reds 150th anniversary hats that Koch's Sporting Goods has (those featured in the photos above) are Made in China.
kyle287

Post Posted: 03/25/19 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I usually go to San Diego for business and the Carlsbad lids is apparently closed. They are literally trying to make me quit collecting caps.
Page 14 of 33   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: