Derby is ClosingView previous topic :: View next topic  
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/30/19 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And their initial 2016 move to imported materials wasn’t about chasing lower quality fabrics and then not only charging less or the same, they bump up the price to consumers. Its not about chasing better margins. No. Not NE. Those materials just fell into their laps. It’s just a fundamental change in their business model.

Saying it’s a shift in their business model is a true slap in the face. That’s always been their business model the last 4-5 years.

We know their shift is to get away from manufacturing. But that point alone is forcing many jobs to close. So they aren’t exactly chasing non union jobs. But it’s a side effect of them closing up shop. It’s all bs political speak.
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/30/19 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/08/new-era-cap-pushes-back-closing-date-for-derby-plant/

"New Era’s decision to close the Derby plant is not about chasing lower, ‘non-union’ wages, as has been erroneously reported in the media. The decision reflects a fundamental shift in the company’s business model."

Lying c*cksuckers.

They were serious with that statement?!

lhg39 wrote:
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/08/new-era-cap-pushes-back-closing-date-for-derby-plant/

"New Era’s decision to close the Derby plant is not about chasing lower, ‘non-union’ wages, as has been erroneously reported in the media. The decision reflects a fundamental shift in the company’s business model."

Lying c*cksuckers.

Yeah, that has to be immediately inducted into the Disingenuous Quotes Hall of Fame.

Top of the list!
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/30/19 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
And their initial 2016 move to imported materials wasn’t about chasing lower quality fabrics and then not only charging less or the same, they bump up the price to consumers. Its not about chasing better margins. No. Not NE. Those materials just fell into their laps. It’s just a fundamental change in their business model.

Saying it’s a shift in their business model is a true slap in the face. That’s always been their business model the last 4-5 years.

We know their shift is to get away from manufacturing. But that point alone is forcing many jobs to close. So they aren’t exactly chasing non union jobs. But it’s a side effect of them closing up shop. It’s all bs political speak.

100% Absolutely. The fact they think everyone will be so stupid as to believe them is the real insult.
DrBoston

Post Posted: 03/31/19 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading that article again and seeing how the MLBPA urged them to keep Derby open to no avail...man, wouldn't it be great if the league went with another company to make the on-fields and keep production in the US? At this point it's what New Era would deserve.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/09/19 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Derby plant shut down this past Friday. R.I.P.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2019/06/07/last-day-new-era-derby-plant-?fbclid=IwAR3kIk23ITLmPVFwu-G6PMv9k75HnXY_Jnz-s6pjvwtUeZ1koRb5ZI1VO24#
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/09/19 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2019/06/07/last-day-new-era-derby-plant-?fbclid=IwAR3kIk23ITLmPVFwu-G6PMv9k75HnXY_Jnz-s6pjvwtUeZ1koRb5ZI1VO24#

'The sports apparel company announced plans to close the facility back in November, a move New Era said was to keep pace with competitors moving away from owning and operating manufacturing plants.'

New Era has competitors in the MLB On-Field fitted cap market?

DrBoston

Post Posted: 06/10/19 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

'The sports apparel company announced plans to close the facility back in November, a move New Era said was to keep pace with competitors moving away from owning and operating manufacturing plants.'

New Era has competitors in the MLB On-Field fitted cap market?

Every article I read about the Derby closure leading up to it had the unmistakable whiff of BS. They're trying to justify a bad decision with lame excuses.
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/11/19 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a sad sad day for all of us that care about quality and made in USA construction. I bought 3 team issued hats from the Houston Astros this season and I must say to the bitter end Derby was cranking out some nice hats. This year it seems they were using better quality poly than the past few years. Maybe it was older stock laying around. It was not circa 2006 poly but it was pretty nice with decent fuzzy.

RIP Derby we are gonna miss you!!!
DrBoston

Post Posted: 06/11/19 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
bamahater wrote:
It's a sad sad day for all of us that care about quality and made in USA construction. I bought 3 team issued hats from the Houston Astros this season and I must say to the bitter end Derby was cranking out some nice hats. This year it seems they were using better quality poly than the past few years. Maybe it was older stock laying around. It was not circa 2006 poly but it was pretty nice with decent fuzzy.

RIP Derby we are gonna miss you!!!

Well said.
bendevious
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 07/06/19 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I am late to this nightmare. So does that mean we are stuck with Bangladesh and Chinese made caps from here on out?
longtimemlbcapcollector
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/06/19 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
bendevious wrote:
Sorry I am late to this nightmare. So does that mean we are stuck with Bangladesh and Chinese made caps from here on out?

Yes, I believe so.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/09/19 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no idea if New Era's Miami operation is up and running, but I'm hoping some teams will be willing to sell us some unworn team issued caps. Unless it's supporting a cause, that's the only way I'll buy New Era caps once the retail made in USA caps disappear.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/10/19 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
I have no idea if New Era's Miami operation is up and running, but I'm hoping some teams will be willing to sell us some unworn team issued caps. Unless it's supporting a cause, that's the only way I'll buy New Era caps once the retail made in USA caps disappear.

Yeah - that’s the hope. I’ve already contacted Orioles and Nats authentics. Orioles informed me that their authentics department doesn’t get these hats until maybe December or January (the team issued, but not issued to players - so the overstock). That said, they’re always available for sale at fanfest - how I’ve been getting the special occasion caps MUSA the last couple of years.

Nats have not yet responded - I have a feeling they are fanfest only as well.

Major difference is the Orioles sell them for 15 and I think the Nats have them up for 40.

I think for a vast majority of teams, FanFests are going to be the way to go to get MUSA.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/10/19 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

Yeah - that’s the hope. I’ve already contacted Orioles and Nats authentics. Orioles informed me that their authentics department doesn’t get these hats until maybe December or January (the team issued, but not issued to players - so the overstock). That said, they’re always available for sale at fanfest - how I’ve been getting the special occasion caps MUSA the last couple of years.

Major difference is the Orioles sell them for 15 and I think the Nats have them up for 40.

I think for a vast majority of teams, FanFests are going to be the way to go to get MUSA.

$15 is great. Too bad the other teams don't do that.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/13/19 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
shane618 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

$15 is great. Too bad the other teams don't do that.

Nationals Authentics told me the clubhouse didn't give them the Expos caps. If you see any at their Winterfest I'd definitely be interested.
Page 9 of 9   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: