2019 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/10/19 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dodgers postseason patch caps just went up after their clinch. They are $41.99 on Fanatics. Yikes!
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/10/19 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dodgers postseason patch caps just went up after their clinch. They are $41.99 on Fanatics. Yikes!
kyle287

Post Posted: 09/11/19 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should I just presume that all postseason caps will be made in Bangladesh/China moving forward....so there's no reason I should even wast my time looking for made in USA ones???
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/11/19 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Standard patch price now. Terrible.

kyle287 wrote:
Should I just presume that all postseason caps will be made in Bangladesh/China moving forward....so there's no reason I should even wast my time looking for made in USA ones???

Yes. I'd say wait for clearance and do a patch swap but Fanatics will have these listed for full price for years.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/11/19 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 9/11 patch is ugly and busy. A redundant batterman. Yikes. No thanks

I miss the days a simple flag patch was enough

And then it was reused for not only July 4th, but 9/11. Simple perfection.

Even your stars and stripes was used twice. I can get behind that.
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The extra battermen are so goofy. I really like the postseason logos this year but they almost ruined the patch by adding a large, unnecessary batterman.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In case anyone was holding out hope that the Florida-made caps were going to resemble the ones made at Derby, you're going to be disappointed. They are 100% identical to Chinese caps, all the way down to the slightly smaller visors and the white sizing strip between the sweatband and crown.

Click the link to my Tweet to see pics. https://twitter.com/insomniac82986/status/1171084229049864192
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^in depth reporting.

I didn't realize the white sweatband portion had unique materials or construction from MUSA to china.

We're namely talking about the purple markings and numbers on MUSA, compared to the brown shown in your link, right? The material does in fact have a slightly different texture and look. Good eyes.

Bill size, I've never noticed a true difference. Care to share any visual examples?

With the poly being overseas and slick, they have been going down this route long before Derby closed, sadly. Now I need to check my supposed MUSA/ With IM And see if they are in fact truly USA made.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, Insomniac. In a way I'm relieved. I didn't really want to jump through hoops and pay exorbitant prices and still risk getting caps that didn't fit. Better that the hobby dies for me completely.

Still depressing news of course.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
^in depth reporting.

I didn't realize the white sweatband portion had unique materials or construction from MUSA to china.

We're namely talking about the purple markings and numbers on MUSA, compared to the brown shown in your link, right? The material does in fact have a slightly different texture and look. Good eyes.

Bill size, I've never noticed a true difference. Care to share any visual examples?

With the poly being overseas and slick, they have been going down this route long before Derby closed, sadly. Now I need to check my supposed MUSA/ With IM And see if they are in fact truly USA made.

I actually have measured the visors, but it was a while ago and I can't recall the measurements anymore. I'll try and do it again shortly.

The white size bands were a solid piece of white material on made in USA caps from 2006 until this year. The Chinese version is a woven type of material, like it was prior to 2006 on the USA caps.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/12/19 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
wallyhopp wrote:
^in depth reporting.

I actually have measured the visors, but it was a while ago and I can't recall the measurements anymore. I'll try and do it again shortly.

The white size bands were a solid piece of white material on made in USA caps from 2006 until this year. The Chinese version is a woven type of material, like it was prior to 2006 on the USA caps.

Nice! I compared about 10 on fields. It holds true. I never knew.

I'd say the look of the white banding is a better indication of origin, than the ink color of the size markings.

By and large, the true MUSA caps 2006 onward have a purple or bright pink ink markings (if you can find the markings). Recent made overseas has brown ink markings. I spotted some 2008-2012 made in China era with black/grey ink markings.

I don't have a huge sample size, but on my recent MUSA caps they used white top stitching on the MUSA tag. It appears to start around 2012 with the fly your own flag era, into atleast this past season. Made in China caps have always had the black stitching. Cool base and first/second yr poly had black stitching, MUSA Or china.

Your Giants cap has black stitching going through the MUSA tagging.

Let me know what you think but I believe that's a MUSA quirk from at least 2012 onward. I even see it on HC customs MUSA/IM caps.
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/13/19 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been able to get my hands on a handful of Florida US mades. In my opinion, the quality is a notch above anything made overseas, but nowhere close to the old days. Still can't believe these caps used to be such a quality product that has turned to garbage.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/14/19 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
soxkrazy wrote:
I have been able to get my hands on a handful of Florida US mades. In my opinion, the quality is a notch above anything made overseas, but nowhere close to the old days. Still can't believe these caps used to be such a quality product that has turned to garbage.

Which ones have you been able to find? So far I have the Giants Player's Weekend, and I suspect the 1969 Orioles TBTC I bought from the Mariners is.
kyle287

Post Posted: 09/14/19 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have gone to many Lids stores in the area and swiping up the last of the caps with the good MUSA polyester. It’s very slim picking but I better do it now before it’s all gone. It’s a shame it’s come to this especially with prices way up.
Ksolo12

Post Posted: 09/16/19 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Thanks for the update, Insomniac. In a way I'm relieved. I didn't really want to jump through hoops and pay exorbitant prices and still risk getting caps that didn't fit. Better that the hobby dies for me completely.

Still depressing news of course.

Completely agree with you on this Guy. I'm saving a lot of money in the process due to the crappy quality of caps these days.

I went to a couple of Lids locations to inspect the Dodgers Post Season Patch (Dodgers is my favorite cap) but it 100% Bangladesh in store for those caps. On the non patch Dodgers cap I still was able to find about 25% MUSA w/IM caps that had above average Poly.
Page 30 of 33   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: