Say BYE-BYE to the NE-flag logo on the side of your CoopCollView previous topic :: View next topic  
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/10/17 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've de-flaged a white crown and blue crown Mets hats. I do think it is slightly more noticeable than the darker colors. The white one was also one my my first attempts and is a wool hat. It was not the cleanest removal and I think that plays into it, more than anything else.
go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 09/10/17 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:
Anyone done red yet? I have a feeling the "shadow" will be too noticeable on a bright color like a red cap.

I did a Cardinals hat earlier this year. I think turned out really well of the ones I have done.

Before
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xn2Pjz]

After (a little shadow)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/YAXdGr]

After a couple of months of occasional wear:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YAXeQi]
I also did one of the White Sox 1917 TBTC hats they wore earlier this year (it's white with stripes). You can tell a bit where the NE stitches were but the more I wear it the better it looks.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/16/17 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just run it under water and when it dries it will generally disappear. Also take a toothbrush to it.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/18/17 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed one of the most egregious examples of a brilliant logo ruined by an obnoxious flag. The logo is arguably a bit undersized and ends up competing for attention when paired with an ultra-bright white flag. A silver flag would made a lot more sense for this one.

I'd probably remove the batterman as well if I could. I don't think of the 51's when I wear it, I think of this:

Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/18/17 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That really looks better. I haven't done that to any of my MiLB hats. Now I have to fight the urge to start ripping off flags, LOL.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/18/17 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
That really looks better. I haven't done that to any of my MiLB hats. Now I have to fight the urge to start ripping off flags, LOL.

Thanks Erie. I definitely got the seam ripping itch after finding I could lessen the risk involved by spending more time working on the inside of the cap. Long-term I suspect I'll be removing all non-tonal flags. I actually find it kind of relaxing until it becomes infuriating near the end of the job. lol
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/05/17 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
I kept the flag on my '17 Rockies away cap for longer than I expected. Will be interesting to see how long I tolerate it on this one.

Answer: a little over 48 hours. lol

Dinsmore16

Post Posted: 12/06/17 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great job on the flag removal! Can't even see a trace.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/07/17 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dinsmore16 wrote:
Great job on the flag removal! Can't even see a trace.

Thanks! I was extra careful with this one since I broke my rule and bought a cap that was widely available pre-flag. On top of that, black caps are probably the most forgiving when it comes to concealing the flag shadow.

Close-up shot:

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/30/18 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't posted my last few flag-removals but this felt motivated to put this one because:

A) It was mother&#%!@# to remove. The cloth that usually comes out easily when seam ripping almost seemed like it was melded to the stitching. It made it impossible to see where I was working by the end and that combined with the general density of the stitching meant I had to do a lot of painstaking work on the exterior of the cap. I'm glad they all aren't this difficult.

B) The cap looks a million times better without the flag. Seriously, putting a bright white flag on a dark navy/red two-tone is just criminal and it's even worse on this cap since it distracts from the relatively subtle tomahawk.

m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/02/18 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy, I know what you are talking about! This sonofabitch took me forever. I had the intention of deflagging all of my 2017 on-fields this weekend, but I only managed to finish one. Here are the results:

From a normal, straight-on angle, you can't tell at all.

Here's a close-up:

It's noticeable, but not dramatic. I was worried about it showing more on purple, but it's not too bad. A million times better than the NE flag, to be sure.
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 07/21/18 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone removed the rubber NE flag from a prolight cap?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/16/18 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Posting since I can't watch Brewers-Dodgers on Youtube TV right now. Mad

Took the flag off my new Jays alt today and it's immediately shooting to the top of my rotation. This one's particularly rewarding as it's one of those caps from the modern era that I've never seen worn clean on field. At this point I think players look best in batting helmets, especially ones without matte finish, and this design is one of the best examples of that IMO. Wish they'd wear these full time at home.

Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/18 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had an interesting experience as I continued de-flagging my latest On-Field pickups. One was obviously an old cap that had been sent back to have a flag added (big sticker, 'Fly Your Own Flag' tag and construction are all giveaways). Anyway, they either stitched it on wrong or deliberately did a quickie job; I'm inclined to believe the former since I think they use glue when they need to rush.

Most stitched on flags seem to have two layers of stitching and some kind of fabric to give it support. This one only had one. I could tell immediately because I always attack the flag pole part of the logo first and that's typically a two stage process: first you get the big visible stitching out and then you take care of the smaller stitching hidden underneath. With this cap the job was done after removing just the visible stitching. Was like that the rest of the way with the aforementioned fabric seemingly being relied on alone to help keep things in place.

Wish all flags were sewn on like this as it made seam ripping a breeze. This is one area where it would be great if NE would try to reduce costs. Wink
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/17/19 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buying very few caps these days so I figured I'd share a shot of this Earth Day O's cap I made ten times better by removing the obnoxious white flag. After and before below.

Page 5 of 6   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: