Chinese Poly Crap - Forehead Rub solutionView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Other possibility, though this may be beyond difficult. Has anyone tried a patch transplant before? I could try to remove the WS patch from this Chinese cap and move it to another Cubs cap (probably a 3930 that I don't have a problem with). I'm pretty sure I could get it off but then what would you use to affix it to another cap - super glue? I know that would probably be risky at best.

This is quite common on here actually. I made it work on first try though not without a few issues along the way.

You steam the patch off and then use something like Goop to affix it to the new cap.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could also use a hair dryer to heat up the buckram. That might soften it a bit.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
You could also use a hair dryer to heat up the buckram. That might soften it a bit.

It will definitely soften the buckram and sweatband but the effect is only temporary in my experience. I find it useful for putting on a tight cap first thing in the morning when my head is slightly larger (don't understand the science of that myself so don't ask Laughing) but not much more.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
The solution is lowering the bump in the sweatband that is causing the issue.

Again, I don't see any single "bump." I will look again later and iron over the whole thing, but I didn't see any one anomaly that was causing the issue. The mark it leaves on my head is almost like an upside down "T" to where I think the top part of the sweatband is at fault, and then above that the problem is the seam and the buckram.

Again, what is so damn frustrating is the cap is not too tight. It's just the way the fabric lies and the way the panels are angled.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another proposed solution, let me know what you think - buckram-ectomy on a low profile cap? It's a total pain in the butt, but I've cut the buckram crown out on hats before and know how to do it.

Would not recommend on a regular crown cap due to the height of the poly panels - they will eventually droop and look awful without the buckram behind them. But on a low crown that lies almost completely against your skull anyway, I don't know. Do you guys think that might work? It would get rid of the middle seam as well which I know is part of the problem with causing the marks on my head.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there isn't a bump the issue is probably with the front seam. I do understand exactly what you are taking about. I've had hats that felt perfectly fine on my head and left deep red marks. The size of the hat isn't the issue. Like I said, somewhere the front seam, sweatband, or a combination of the two are causing the issue.

Removing the buckram is a risky venture - one I've never tried. I used to be big on performing hat surgeries, but have since found alternate ways to fix most issues. Methods that are less invasive.

One time, when I was having a similar issue, I cut out the sweatband entirely. It improved the issue a little bit - enough to make it wearable. The fit was a little bigger, obviously. I was young and stupid back then. Not sure I would be willing to do that now.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
If there isn't a bump the issue is probably with the front seam. I do understand exactly what you are taking about. I've had hats that felt perfectly fine on my head and left deep red marks. The size of the hat isn't the issue. Like I said, somewhere the front seam, sweatband, or a combination of the two are causing the issue.

Removing the buckram is a risky venture - one I've never tried. I used to be big on performing hat surgeries, but have since found alternate ways to fix most issues. Methods that are less invasive.

I do think it is more the seam on this hat than the buckram. Why does the top of my forehead not hurt too if it were just the buckram? Still doing some creative things with the seam, including cutting out excess brim material that is behind it. Will report in on that in a while.

I've performed 3 buckram removals in my life, 2 of which were successful. The successful ones were one wool 5950 from the late 90's, and one circa '08 MUSA poly. Actually they both turned out pretty good, even the poly. It's got some wrinkles in the crown now, but fits closer to my head than it ever would have beforehand. It's also one of what I call the "extreme dark blue" caps from right before they changed the Cubs shade of blue. Both the blue and the red appear unusually dark on that cap. It looks good when worn out in the sunlight, and makes for quite the contrast when placed next to the newer, lighter blue Cubs cap.

My one unsuccessful buckram-ectomy was on a later model wool cap from probably right before they made the switch to poly. Put the scissors right through the fabric on one of the front panels to the tune of more than a centimeter. Cap went into the trash and I was out $30 or whatever they cost back then.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it is the seam, try removing the buckram. You are a better man than me for doing so. I don't have the fine motor control to not shred the crown to bits. Plus, I need some structure to the crown, otherwise the hat will fit me like an unstructured Brand 47 cap. They look terrible on me.

I still favor the older, pre-2007, wool hats over all others. They are so easy to break in and are easy to work with. If the hat is too big or too small, it can easily be fixed. The crown can be lowered with hot water and time.

Report back, with pictures, on the hat surgery. Good luck, doc.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

Report back, with pictures, on the hat surgery. Good luck, doc.

The first procedure (outpatient) will be to try to "lift" the sweatband to where it lays totally flat against my head. There is no bump on it per se - but I did notice that there was a bit of a ridge to the piece that's making the red mark which needs to be straightened out. Hard for me to believe that something so minor is what is making the mark, but I can't find anything else. Will try to do this "lift" by sewing the edge of the sweatband to the crown on the buckram higher up so that it is kind of pulled up and stretched. Already tried to do this a few hours ago, but I don't have strong enough thread; it keeps breaking. I have some stuff that should work better at home.

Honestly if that doesn't work, I may try removing the World Series patch with steam and putting it on another cap before I take the buckram out of this one. Not sure I have the patience for another marathon surgery like that these days.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A transplant might be the path of least resistance at this point. I've never tried that before. I've been working on removing a NE flag recently. It has been met with so-so results.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
A transplant might be the path of least resistance at this point. I've never tried that before. I've been working on removing a NE flag recently. It has been met with so-so results.

Honestly the most likely thing when I get home is just start wearing my Made in USA cap and throw this piece of garbage in the corner for awhile. So incredibly frustrating.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/22/16 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
I've been working on removing a NE flag recently. It has been met with so-so results.

The sewn NE flag, or the stick-on? For the latter I hear it will come off but leaves residue. Supposedly a clean cloth and generous amounts of rubbing alcohol will take care of the residue. The sewn-in flags are harder, but if you have enough patience with a seam ripper, you should be able to get it all the way out. Not sure what the poly it was sewn into will look like afterwards, however.

Last edited by jchcollins on 11/22/16 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I have done with the that had the NE flag. I removed the flag, no problem, and then started working on the residue left behind. I removed about 90% of it, but now I'm stuck. I've used water, soap and water, heat, and goo gone. I stopped caring since I do not see myself wearing the hat much anyway. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/22/16 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
Bring in a young priest and an old priest. It is the only way to get rid of Chinese polyester hats!

The sweatband may soften over time. I have a few made in the USA MiLB hats that have rough sweatbands. They have improved a little, but do still leave a red mark on my head.

Is the red mark across your entire forehead or does the hat leave a small red "dent" in your forehead? If it is the second one, I have had success ironing down the bump on the sweatband that causes the red mark and dent.

I'm OK with a hat leaving a red mark as long as it fades quickly. I had a MiLB hat once that felt fine when I was wearing it, but put a red mark on my head that would take an hour to fade. I'm OK with a few minutes, not an hour.

I'm going to have to try the iron method. I have a few hats that leave a "v" on my forehead and it starts to hurt, after a while.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was too burnt-out over this cap to try anything further last night. I did wear it home and over to my mother's house. Bad news is the red mark is still there. Good news is that it fades quickly, and between some combination of my plucking at the visor board behind the sweatband, and incessantly trying to stretch the cap the day before yesterday, whatever is causing the problem no longer hurts while I'm wearing it.

Also wore my MUSA model of the same cap last night. Doesn't look horrible, but interestingly enough - it is a larger fit on me at 7 1/8. Even though it is low-profile, it has a deeper bowl to the crown and I have some room up in there. These hats are so freaking weird.

In the final analysis, live and let live. My wife occasionally thinks it's ridiculous I wear a cap so much. If I don't care about that, I'm not going to be bothered to care about a red mark that stays on my forehead for 5 minutes after I take the cap off. New Era's QC does suck, but such is life. There are bigger fish to fry. Me, I'm not much with power tools...
Page 2 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: