Chinese Poly Crap - Forehead Rub solutionView previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Also wore my MUSA model of the same cap last night. Doesn't look horrible, but interestingly enough - it is a larger fit on me at 7 1/8. Even though it is low-profile, it has a deeper bowl to the crown and I have some room up in there. These hats are so freaking weird.

This doesn't seem to bother many on here but it's one of my biggest fitting issues. I can generally bring crowns down but there's no fixing a 'bowl' that's too deep and I absolutely hate it when I can feel a cap on my ears. I have one Chino 'low' crown that's actually deep enough to touch my ears and one MUSA LC that fits similarly to the old Cool Base standard crowns. The caps are indeed 'weird'.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Guy Gadbois"] I absolutely hate it when I can feel a cap on my ears./quote]

This cap fits perilously close to that. It doesn't bother me much because I wear glasses, and so the cap always has to stop on the arms of my frames - but it does bother me when the cap always competes for that space. Also makes it hard when you are (like me) say in the car, trying to switch your prescription sunglasses out real quick on your face for your prescription regular glasses - and suddenly realize that if you don't take your cap off - that switch is not going to be easy and certainly won't be quick.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
I was too burnt-out over this cap to try anything further last night. I did wear it home and over to my mother's house. Bad news is the red mark is still there. Good news is that it fades quickly, and between some combination of my plucking at the visor board behind the sweatband, and incessantly trying to stretch the cap the day before yesterday, whatever is causing the problem no longer hurts while I'm wearing it.

Also wore my MUSA model of the same cap last night. Doesn't look horrible, but interestingly enough - it is a larger fit on me at 7 1/8. Even though it is low-profile, it has a deeper bowl to the crown and I have some room up in there. These hats are so freaking weird.

In the final analysis, live and let live. My wife occasionally thinks it's ridiculous I wear a cap so much. If I don't care about that, I'm not going to be bothered to care about a red mark that stays on my forehead for 5 minutes after I take the cap off. New Era's QC does suck, but such is life. There are bigger fish to fry. Me, I'm not much with power tools...

If the red mark fades within five minutes, that's not too bad. Seems logical that wearing a hat is going to leave at least some mark, however temporary, on your head after wearing it for awhile.

Like I previously mentioned, I had one hat where the red mark would hang around for 30-45 minutes. The hat felt perfectly comfortable on my head while I was wearing it, but the red marks were so bad.

Now that I more or less shave my head, most of my hats leave a red mark, but only for a short period of time. Even the pre-2007 hats with the nicely padded sweatbands will leave a very temporary mark on my head. But I don't care, because 1) it fades quickly and 2) I figure I don't have to look at myself, so what do I really care?

I used to obsess over the red marks on my forehead, to the point where I did not want to wear my hats anymore. Now I just don't care. Enjoy your collection!
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
I used to obsess over the red marks on my forehead, to the point where I did not want to wear my hats anymore. Now I just don't care. Enjoy your collection!

Yeah with these hats it's easy to start obsessing over the minutiae. I'm trying not do to that. I don't even consider myself a collector! (I collect baseball cards). I came here just to get info. on the hats, lol.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Scott8030 wrote:

Yeah with these hats it's easy to start obsessing over the minutiae. I'm trying not do to that. I don't even consider myself a collector! (I collect baseball cards). I came here just to get info. on the hats, lol.

I used to obsess over the smallest flaws. Now, not so much. I can fix most issues, except for a brim sewn on crooked or a non-centered logo.

I collected baseball cards when I was a kid. I have more cards from 1988 than I care to admit. They are not worth the paper they are printed on.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Scott8030"]
jchcollins wrote:

I collected baseball cards when I was a kid. I have more cards from 1988 than I care to admit. They are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Right there with you. I started in 1986. Nothing I collected new as a kid is worth much of anything, but I got into acquiring 1950's and 60's cards pretty early. Some of those that I've hung onto are worth something...but I certainly won't be retiring anytime soon. Smile
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

I used to obsess over the smallest flaws. Now, not so much. I can fix most issues, except for a brim sewn on crooked or a non-centered logo.

Agree. I was unsure how to handle the "red forehead" issue, but think it probably has to fall into that category of things that either can be fixed or are minor enough to ignore.

A crooked visor is really a pain, because those can be deceptive. They can line-up on the side seams and still have issues with the level on which the panels were sewn-on, and be crooked only in the middle. I took the first out of three Cubs WS caps (this one a regular and not low-crown 5950) back after a week because of that. It took me a while to find what, but I knew there was something just not quite right about that cap. Try to bend the bill and it's noticeable immediately if it is the least bit crooked. The logo and center seam will pull and veer off to one side and it looks like total crap and cannot be fixed at all. May not be a huge deal for those that wear totally flat bills, but if you put any kind of curve into it, it is.

Anything else I do try to fix. I've even had limited success with crooked batterman logos on the back. Take a needle and thread to the meaty party of the sewn in square from the backside. Then pull either up or down to adjust where it is crooked, and tie it into either a seam or the sweatband and it will straighten out a bit. Sometimes you can do this even without messing up the fabric on the back panels.

They are adaptable hats, but just a pain in the butt to work with - especially if it's only crappy QC that has caused whatever problem was there to begin with.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="jchcollins"]
Scott8030 wrote:
jchcollins wrote:

Right there with you. I started in 1986. Nothing I collected new as a kid is worth much of anything, but I got into acquiring 1950's and 60's cards pretty early. Some of those that I've hung onto are worth something...but I certainly won't be retiring anytime soon. Smile

I still love the Topps 1987 cards with the wooden board. Terrible look, but I love it.

How about the gum that used to come in the packs? Mad gross.

I will retire on my teacher pension, not my baseball card collection.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

I still love the Topps 1987 cards with the wooden board. Terrible look, but I love it.

Love them. One of the few sets I still keep complete in a binder. I was 10 years old when those came out, so lots of fond childhood memories. You can buy a set for way less now, incidentally - than when they were brand new in 1987. Confused
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Scott8030 wrote:

Love them. One of the few sets I still keep complete in a binder. I was 10 years old when those came out, so lots of fond childhood memories. You can buy a set for way less now, incidentally - than when they were brand new in 1987. Confused

I was just a bit younger then - six years old. I collected until around the mid 90s. Maybe a little later. That was also around the time I stopped collecting hats. I kicked back up with the hat collecting, but not the baseball cards.

Every so often there is a sports collectors show at the mall near me. I've given some thought to buying a box of cards for the fun of opening all the packs. Where there usually 36 packs in a box?

I've also thought about buying some older cards, perhaps a Mantle, just to have it. They have come down a ton in price and I make more than $1 a week in allowance now.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also used to have a subscription to Beckett magazine. I used to love looking up all my cards when a new issue would arrive.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

I've also thought about buying some older cards, perhaps a Mantle, just to have it. They have come down a ton in price and I make more than $1 a week in allowance now.

Older cards in "mid-grade" (still nice) shape have not really gone up in price at all since the early 1990's. In other words considering inflation, they are worth less. Part of this is due to the focus on graded cards and super high-end graded cards (wittness the $1M 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded PSA 8.5 the other week). But if you are just a collector and want something nice, there are still a ton of very affordable cards from the 1960's and earlier that can be had without breaking the bank. You can still get nice examples of most of Mantle's 1960's regular issue cards for $200 or less apiece. I collect (in hats as well as cards) a lot of Chicago Cubs - so even cheaper for me!
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/23/16 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Scott8030 wrote:

Older cards in "mid-grade" (still nice) shape have not really gone up in price at all since the early 1990's. In other words considering inflation, they are worth less. Part of this is due to the focus on graded cards and super high-end graded cards (wittness the $1M 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded PSA 8.5 the other week). But if you are just a collector and want something nice, there are still a ton of very affordable cards from the 1960's and earlier that can be had without breaking the bank. You can still get nice examples of most of Mantle's 1960's regular issue cards for $200 or less apiece. I collect (in hats as well as cards) a lot of Chicago Cubs - so even cheaper for me!

Interesting. I think the oldest card I have is a Dave Winfield, from 1975. I'm sure it is worth nothing. I do have a Topps Ryne Sandburg rookie card, which, as a Cubs fan, you can appreciate. It's probably my favorite card.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/23/16 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:

Interesting. I think the oldest card I have is a Dave Winfield, from 1975. I'm sure it is worth nothing. I do have a Topps Ryne Sandburg rookie card, which, as a Cubs fan, you can appreciate. It's probably my favorite card.

I certainly can. My favorite player growing up. I have a 1981 Sandberg minor league card from when he was still in the Phillies system.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/24/16 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
Scott8030 wrote:

I certainly can. My favorite player growing up. I have a 1981 Sandberg minor league card from when he was still in the Phillies system.

Very nice!
Page 3 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: