HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
caplover83

Post Posted: 06/01/17 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:
Every made in usa cap from 2016 to now is made in the usa w/imported materials. As far as the labelling goes even if it doesnt specifically say it is made in the usa it still could be. I'd ask customer service to know for sure.

Thanks. Shows what I know about Made in USA hats.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/05/17 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I'm posting this here, but seemed sorta semi almost the right spot. Hatland just came out with 5 or 6 Orioles customs that are mostly decent looking, or at least a couple are. I figured Chinese, but wanted to verify as it even has the nifty Cooperstown batterman. I emailed to find out country of origin and was told they are all made in China because they are customs. I asked if they could maybe request USA made in the future like Hat Club - the response shocked me - they claimed that the quality of the hats produced in China is much better than the ones produced in the US... Shocked

Clearly just pulling my leg, right? No one actually believes that do they...?
Betters22
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/05/17 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:
Sorry I'm posting this here, but seemed sorta semi almost the right spot. Hatland just came out with 5 or 6 Orioles customs that are mostly decent looking, or at least a couple are. I figured Chinese, but wanted to verify as it even has the nifty Cooperstown batterman. I emailed to find out country of origin and was told they are all made in China because they are customs. I asked if they could maybe request USA made in the future like Hat Club - the response shocked me - they claimed that the quality of the hats produced in China is much better than the ones produced in the US... Shocked

I can understand people not recognizing the difference, but saying that Chinese is superior is just ridiculous. Chinese hats are more uniform than US in their construction, but they're uniformly garbage
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/05/17 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shane618 wrote:

Not quite as bad but I once had a Lids manager tell me there was no difference between Chino and MUSA. As far as actually preferring Chino, I suppose that might make sense if one values a rock hard and super high crown above anything else.
LegalAmerican
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/06/17 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably my favorite thing about collecting hats is when retailers try to tell the Customer what they do or don't like. Even if the moron at Lids or the idiot responding from Hatland likes Chinese made, that doesn't mean that everyone does. If you like the boxy hipster look that collects lint like a furnace filter and gives you headaches while emanating a weird smell, I can see why you'd like the consistency of Chinese.
CMPunk
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 06/06/17 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've gotten customs from Hatland before that were US made.
shane618
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/06/17 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LegalAmerican wrote:
Probably my favorite thing about collecting hats is when retailers try to tell the Customer what they do or don't like. Even if the moron at Lids or the idiot responding from Hatland likes Chinese made, that doesn't mean that everyone does. If you like the boxy hipster look that collects lint like a furnace filter and gives you headaches while emanating a weird smell, I can see why you'd like the consistency of Chinese.

Right - and I had just started the convo out by suggesting they could go US made because the recent Chinese LCs have a more pronounced slant in the front and it just stops way too high on my not-very-big forehead and makes me look like l'm wearing a John Olerud helmet instead of a hat.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/06/17 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
shane618 wrote:

Not quite as bad but I once had a Lids manager tell me there was no difference between Chino and MUSA. As far as actually preferring Chino, I suppose that might make sense if one values a rock hard and super high crown above anything else.

I worked for their parent company, Genesco, for quite awhile. I can tell you from firsthand experience that most Lids managers are morons. I've had similar experiences where they insist there isn't any difference. I had one go as far as laying out several hats and trying to "prove" that I couldn't tell where they were made or what they were made of just by looking at them. It was funny to see the smug look on his face take a dramatic turn when even HE could tell the difference just by looking at them after laying them out.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/06/17 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lots of new customs released recently, most of them wool. And I'm sure most on here are already aware but Hat Club has been running a Father's Day sale for a couple days now. 25% off, code is COVFEFE

Some of the customs really seem to be selling out at this point. For example, I had planned to sample four more M's customs to try to get a perfect construction but learned that only two were still available. So buy now if you've been holding out. Price comes to $30 for the teal customs after the discount.

Fiddy Sicks wrote:
I worked for their parent company, Genesco, for quite awhile. I can tell you from firsthand experience that most Lids managers are morons. I've had similar experiences where they insist there isn't any difference. I had one go as far as laying out several hats and trying to "prove" that I couldn't tell where they were made or what they were made of just by looking at them. It was funny to see the smug look on his face take a dramatic turn when even HE could tell the difference just by looking at them after laying them out.

Ha! I can generally pick up the tell-tale signs of a good MUSA just by looking but I suspect I could be fooled by only visually comparing a Chino and one of the newer stiff crown 'imported materials' caps. I'd insist on doing a blind test where I guess just by feel. Seriously, people must think I'm a bit off when they see me stroking poly and poking crowns as I cycle through an entire shelf of 5950's without ever putting one on. lol
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/10/17 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you order a hat from Hat Club and don't like it, can you return it to one of their stores, or do you have to ship it back? I ordered one of the new Warriors custom caps (knowing it was risky) because it looked a bit like it could be US made in the pictures, and hoping that even if it wasn't, it would still be wearable. Nope. Absolute garbage. I love the high profile caps, and even I feel too Elmer Fudd-like. I'd like to return it (and even just do an exchange), but I really don't want to have to go to the hassle of shipping it back.

Here's the cap, BTW.

https://www.hatclub.com/products/hat-club-original-new-era-59fifty-golden-state-warriors-w-fitted-hat-2t-navy-orange
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/10/17 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just received two more M's teal crowns. I'm happy with the first one I got but it was slightly too tight had to be Hat Jacked; now it's kind of got that 'worked on' look though nothing too obvious. Anyway, was hoping to get a perfect cap with the extra order since it's one of my all-time favorite caps. One is about the same size as my first one and the second is a bit tighter so it seems I've struck out seeing as how these were their last in my size. Shame too as neither have any flaws.

So I'd recommend buying multiples of these customs as they seem to run a little small. But it seems you can rest assured you're gonna get a quality cap. Of the four I've handled, only the Snakes teal crown had any issues (crown too big/stiff).
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 06/11/17 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiddy Sicks wrote:
If you order a hat from Hat Club and don't like it, can you return it to one of their stores, or do you have to ship it back? I ordered one of the new Warriors custom caps (knowing it was risky) because it looked a bit like it could be US made in the pictures, and hoping that even if it wasn't, it would still be wearable. Nope. Absolute garbage. I love the high profile caps, and even I feel too Elmer Fudd-like. I'd like to return it (and even just do an exchange), but I really don't want to have to go to the hassle of shipping it back.

Here's the cap, BTW.

https://www.hatclub.com/products/hat-club-original-new-era-59fifty-golden-state-warriors-w-fitted-hat-2t-navy-orange

I don't have stores local to me but when I returned one they sent me a prepaid label that I slapped onto the same box they used to ship to me and off it went. It was super easy and I didn't really have to do anything.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/11/17 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to follow up my last post about the sizing issues of the M's teal crown alts: I went back to my first pickup after realizing the other two were just as small and had great success stretching it a bit more. Fits like a dream now and even the crown has a better shape at this point.

And I'm super impressed by the brims on these, probably my favorite on any 5950. They're quite strong and thick but also take a bend well. Best of all, they'll flatten out with a little steam without remaining overly pliable like so many other 5950 brims. That they've all been perfectly straight on all of the customs I've seen is just the cherry on top.

baby dhibs wrote:
I don't have stores local to me but when I returned one they sent me a prepaid label that I slapped onto the same box they used to ship to me and off it went. It was super easy and I didn't really have to do anything.

Yep, returning to Hat Club is a snap and I generally find returns to be a pain in the ass. Just make sure you're careful when initially opening the box.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/18/17 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tried out a Hat Club I didn't know existed (at a Jersey mall across from Manhattan) and had a question for those used to buying from them out west: do they all tend to be high pressure? I had a guy hovering over me the whole time insisting on taking perfectly reachable caps down and telling me that I looked good in this or that cap. Didn't make me too interested in returning any time soon.

One thing that I found funny is that they have one of the new Snakes customs (black/teal) but theirs is a wool blend or something and clearly inferior. Has the pin and everything, the guy said they designed it at the store. Kind of curious that they'd put out two caps that are so similar to one another.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/19/17 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah they're kinda weird about wanting to take hats down for you, but if you're a regular they usually just leave you alone after awhile. They're not usually crazy about putting pressure on a buyer, but there are times when they can be a bit more annoying than others. It's a bit lame sometimes, but still better than Lids where you CLEARLY need help and they still don't give two s**ts.
Page 3 of 57   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: