HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/06/19 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not just me then. Thanks. It feels like it's the stiffer than normal buckram that sort of has a rippling effect going on. And it finds a weak spot.

Wondering if super glue would work or I just live with it.

I haven't even inspected all of my Musa with imported materials caps like that. I guess it's time to get thorough. I can see why and where the separation happened. Time to see if my others will bust out of their seams too. What a mess
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/08/19 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My White Sox cursive C custom has the same sort of wavy crown in the same spot as the twins. It hasn't yet busted through. I'm almost willing to call this a defect. I have a half dozen more to
Inspect but this is ugly guys. The made in China wools are putting these HCs to a real test. It shouldn't be close.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/19 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe my last big HC haul. There are a few more I'm interested in up on the site but it looks like the days of MUSA poly custom releases are already over.

Black is a good bet these days but both of these fit well too, especially the O's. The O's cap makes me wish a black squatchee/gray underbrim Giants 'G' cap could have happened at some point. Took a gamble on the M's cap based on photos and glad I did since the poly and construction are outstanding. The logo pops like crazy in person too.

Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/19 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice additions, Guy. I also bought the same Orioles hat. Very nicely made. Only complaint is it runs a bit big on me. I'll work on shrinking it when the weather warms up.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/13/19 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy,

Those are pretty nice looking. Nice grabs.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/14/19 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

No more Derby O's caps really, really sucks. Between some customs/TBTC's that need re-stocks and several that have never been made at all as far as I'm aware, I'm thinking I would have bought at least five more O's customs if possible.

Careful shrinking this one, Scott. Not sure how many MUSA w/IM caps you've worked with since slowing down with your collecting but the new crowns do not like heat. I've had buckram separation and poly wrinkling on almost every MUSA w/IM cap I've put in the oven. Throwing the cap on a Nu-cap immediately and ironing it helped the last time it happened.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/14/19 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Died a bit inside when I zoomed in on the photos of HC's release for tomorrow. Pretty damned sad that they've been reduced to releasing Lids custom quality trash at massively inflated prices. This would have had guaranteed high quality MUSA black poly in '18.

wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/15/19 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
When did the black Os cap come out? I love the caps that look like they could've been on fields.

Be careful with anything HC now. I had to go to like page 2-3 to find a newly worded " assembled in USA OF FOREIGN MATERIAL" for some Musa MiLB customs. Everything else now is assumed to be of Chinese origin. They've turned into all the other hat websites. Yikes

The Columbus clippers and Padres concept caps may be the last of MUSA poly. Scoop the others whole you can I guess
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/15/19 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
Thanks guys.

No more Derby O's caps really, really sucks. Between some customs/TBTC's that need re-stocks and several that have never been made at all as far as I'm aware, I'm thinking I would have bought at least five more O's customs if possible.

Careful shrinking this one, Scott. Not sure how many MUSA w/IM caps you've worked with since slowing down with your collecting but the new crowns do not like heat. I've had buckram separation and poly wrinkling on almost every MUSA w/IM cap I've put in the oven. Throwing the cap on a Nu-cap immediately and ironing it helped the last time it happened.

Thanks for the warning. I don't really use the oven anymore. My plan is to wait until an 85+ degree day, soak the hat, and put it on the dashboard of my car to dry. Do you think that will be too much heat?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/15/19 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wally, this O's custom was released several months ago. It sold well and was never discounted. I grabbed the last two listed on the site with a discount code now that I don't have time to wait for the best prices on caps I'm not 100% sure about. One was delivered back to HC today so there should be another good quality 7 1/2 up on the site soon for anyone interested.

Scott, I'm honestly not sure how a MUSA w/IM crown would even do with a soaking. My O's crown is quite stiff for example and I don't even like to be too aggressive with steaming and/or a hairdryer on a cap like this. Unfortunately the new style construction is not very conducive to shaping the cap to your head. I'd try your method out on a replaceable MUSA w/IM cap first before putting a HC custom at risk.
tducken

Post Posted: 02/16/19 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That M's cap is beautiful. Love the green underbill too.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/16/19 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tducken wrote:
That M's cap is beautiful. Love the green underbill too.

Thanks, tducken. That wasn't even the most flattering light for the cap. We've finally warmed/dried up a bit here (deck was covered in snow and ice a few days ago) and gotten some bright February sun so I can take outdoor shots again:

Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/17/19 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
wally, this O's custom was released several months ago. It sold well and was never discounted. I grabbed the last two listed on the site with a discount code now that I don't have time to wait for the best prices on caps I'm not 100% sure about. One was delivered back to HC today so there should be another good quality 7 1/2 up on the site soon for anyone interested.

Scott, I'm honestly not sure how a MUSA w/IM crown would even do with a soaking. My O's crown is quite stiff for example and I don't even like to be too aggressive with steaming and/or a hairdryer on a cap like this. Unfortunately the new style construction is not very conducive to shaping the cap to your head. I'd try your method out on a replaceable MUSA w/IM cap first before putting a HC custom at risk.

The crowns on both of my Orioles HC customs were stiff when I bought them, but manageable. I soaked both of them and damped the crowns to help with shaping. They're much better now, but like I said, both still fit a bit big.

These two customs most likely are the last two new hats I will purchase. The material, even from HC, is becoming too unpredictable. Plus, I still really hate the NE flag.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/25/19 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orange crown coked up Tiger custom has fuzz-free poly. Looked questionable in photos but I took a gamble when I saw there was only one left in my size. Not the worst I've ever felt but not up to my standards.

Did any of the coked up Tiger customs get good poly? Maybe the gray crown two-tone?
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/28/19 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updating this thread

I went in on a couple hats during their 25% off holiday sale.

They now sell stuff marked as MUSA with foreign materials, and end up giving you MADE IN CHINA mediocre crap

Buyer beware
The cap in question was a 1954 Indians.

I did receive some larger faced Wahoo's that did come as described.

Not sure I trust these guys anymore.

I should've know. The only size not available is the 7 7/8 that I bought.
Page 54 of 57   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: