HatClub CustomsView previous topic :: View next topic  
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/19/19 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
Yeah. The 'poly' looks so slick that it appears to be of the wool Chinese made variety. You can't even tell them Apart anymore. I just wonder where most of them are now made.

Any time you can see the diagonal pattern on the cap, it's not a great sign.

Of course the latest Richmond braves red crown looks great. It's MUSA. But the aqua posse cap looks cheap, with a MUSA/Im build.

Crazy that only a select few MUSA/Im caps have real fuzz. All of the recent poly.and wool are identical

I bought the Astros 86 All Star patch hat that was made in China. When I got it the fit felt like a US made hat and the poly was decent. Take the tagging away it could have passed for a recent US with imported poly hat. On the other hand the Bangladesh trash was terrible. Rock hard crowns, that nasty smell, and scratchy no fuzzy poly. Can't fault Hat Club too much though because they did all they could to make US made fitteds. They have a business to run and at least they are still coming out with good designs.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/20/19 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to get some MUSA poly on clearance at their stores over the last couple of months, moving to Arizona has its perks.

1. Charleston Alley Cats red/black and black/red - the red crown version could be Chinese it’s such bad material. Black crown is better (still not great) but definitely fits snug.
2. Capital City Bombers - this one is incredible, material and fit are both a dream.
3. Port City Roosters green and purple - expected bad poly when I saw this but it’s actually really good! Cap design is completely ridiculous.
4. Hagerstown Suns blue - terrible. If you told me it was Chinese I would believe you. I love the logo ad considered it a last chance so I bought it but I’m not thrilled with how it turned out.
5. El Paso Diablos purple - lumpy crown, was the only one they had in three separate visits so I’m not sure how old this is but it definitely felt like a “slipped through the cracks” random straggler. Poly is INCREDIBLE.

Unfortunately my last trip I completely struck out, the US poly may be running out on the clearance table.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/19/19 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buyer beware. HC had a restock on the 87 twins cap today. The IG photo shows a no nap made overseas crown. But their website photos appears to show the original MUSA/IM nappy fuzz cap. For $42, you are not getting MUSA/IM
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/19/19 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’ve seen counterfeit caps that look better made than their latest A’s release. Crying or Very sad

jy2k2
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/20/19 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
I’ve seen counterfeit caps that look better made than their latest A’s release. Crying or Very sad

this cap looks Banglegdesh made????
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 09/20/19 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

Greater tragedies in the world, for sure, but for us NE cap collectors, this is just awful.
mfortuna45
Rookie

Post Posted: 09/20/19 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anybody have one of the Appleton Foxes MUSA hats from about a year ago in 7 3/8? Both of my kids' initials are AF and would love to have that hat.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/24/19 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have any insight on the 1966 Dodgers hat that HC released today in terms of sizing and material quality? thanks!
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/18/19 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not a good time to be a Hat Club person. I just learned that they closed their Sacramento store at Arden Fair Mall last month Sad
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/19 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They've closed all of their San Diego-area locations as well. The one closest to me (Great Mall) is still open, but their selection of fitted caps has shrunk significantly. Adjustables now take up half the store. Hat sales have got to be on the decline. The headwear industry was hit very hard by tariffs and prices have shot up. No one really wants to pay $40-$45 bucks for a hat.

I bought the San Jose Bees cap they did because I'd been requesting one for years, and I'm thankful they did it and I owe them my gratitude. But I feel more like I'm wearing a helmet when wearing it because it's so bulbous and the buckram is hard as a rock. Those imported caps just plain suck. I wish they'd do MiLB customs with EFF but I know they won't. I like Hat Club as a company and they are good to their customers, but the imported caps just aren't worth buying for me. I've passed on many I would have bought if they had been made at Derby. Just my thoughts.

Another thing that has me soured on Hat Club is that they carry American Needle's version of the Kansas City Katz cap (in their stores). That was something that I re-discovered and brought to EFF for them to do, no one else. American Needle ripped it off. What American Needle did isn't illegal and Capitalism is a thing, but it's a low-blow to both me and EFF and they want to profit off of our success. It hurt me, personally, to see that cap at my local Hat Club. I know it's just a logo and not to sound arrogant, but I'm the reason that logo exists on a baseball cap right now. American Needle can F-off and I'm disappointed Hat Club is selling that knock-off version.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/19 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's pretty depressing seeing their Twitter feed, which is handled by a great guy btw, reduced to hyping trash like inside out designs and glow in the dark logos. They're just Lids with higher prices and better customer service now.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/19 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
It's pretty depressing seeing their Twitter feed, which is handled by a great guy btw, reduced to hyping trash like inside out designs and glow in the dark logos. They're just Lids with higher prices and better customer service now.

Yes, I agree exactly with what you just said. Lots of weird concepts. Those pixelated caps and "sugar skull" logos come to mind as well. That stuff's not for me, but they gotta do what they gotta do to make sales.
Izzy2014
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/18/19 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fiddy Sicks wrote:
Not a good time to be a Hat Club person. I just learned that they closed their Sacramento store at Arden Fair Mall last month Sad

A "Hat Shop" has opened on the old Hat Club space. It seems like it's an extension of the Pro Team Sports in the mall. Weird they are using the old Hat Club letters on their signage and they even have an embroidery machine. It was a fun 8-year stretch there. Bought at least 44 hats there
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/18/19 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I almost took the bait on some last chance caps but didn't do it. $26 for Chino is still $26.

I see they have hassle free returns advertised now. They also have the buy now, pay later with Klarna service advertised. The struggle is real. Other than their gradient expos/Ray's cap they sold out within a day, there has been nothing that is flying off the shelves.

They're a glorified ecapcity/4ucaps now. Sad to see their fall off.

As mentioned before, A lot of their re stocks have the MUSA photos attached to their product page. Their IG shows the real look of the crap theyre pushing for $40 plus.

Tariffs is one thing. But costs went down when they went to overseas exclusively. They were double dipping for awhile. And the average person saw through it. They got greedy. Moreso NE than HC.
DrBoston

Post Posted: 10/19/19 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Guy Gadbois wrote:

Yes, I agree exactly with what you just said. Lots of weird concepts. Those pixelated caps and "sugar skull" logos come to mind as well. That stuff's not for me, but they gotta do what they gotta do to make sales.

Don't forget that "MLB Eats" collection they had over the summer which were literally just on-fields with a picture of a food item stitched on the crown. That was pathetic.
Page 56 of 57   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: