2019 Authentic CollectionView previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRed

Post Posted: 11/05/18 2:00 pm    Post subject: 2019 Authentic Collection Reply with quote
Tonight, the Reds are set to announce plans to commemorate 150 years of baseball in Cincinnati.
It isn’t far fetched to believe there will be some throwback caps included in the mix. The Reds dropped a look at their 2019 Spring Training uniform moments ago on their Twitter:

Other than the prominent use of black trim, which the team is allergic to getting rid of, the thing that stands out most to me is the cap is clearly prolight & not the diamond-era-style material that was anticipated to return. Hopefully this isn’t the final product, but it is concerning if that is the case:

Last edited by MrRed on 11/06/18 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/05/18 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aren’t they switching BP caps back to Diamond Era? Hopefully the 2019 model wasn’t ready. Check out the Reds’ Twitter page. 15 throwbacks next season!!
OzYankee

Post Posted: 11/05/18 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks good. But if it’s Prolight? No way.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 11/06/18 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Authentic Collection Reply with quote
MrRed wrote:
Tonight, the Reds are set to announce plans to commemorate 150 years of baseball in Cincinnati.
It isn’t far fetched to believe there will be some throwback caps included in the mix. The Reds dropped a look at their 2019 Spring Training uniform moments ago on their Twitter:

Other than the prominent use of black trim, which the team is allergic to getting rid of, the thing that stands out most to me is the cap is clearly prolight & not the diamond-era-style material that was anticipated to return. Hopefully this isn’t the final product, but it is concerning if that is the case:

To celebrate their 150th, the Reds will wear 15 different unis and what appears to be at least a half-dozen TBTC hats on weekends in 2019. Wonder how many caps will be MUSA, if any? The striped ones are almost assured to be China made.

For info:
https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-unveil-plans-to-celebrate-150th-season/c-300281370
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/06/18 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd be interested in more of these if so many weren't almost certainly going to be Chino. As it is I'll have to see what the cap logos look like. The 1939 one is almost certainly one I'll be picking up. My enthusiasm to spend money on Reds stuff is also pretty low right now since they haven't even attempted to win since 2014, but we'll see what this offseason brings. There's some big talk floating around but until you get pen to paper it doesn't mean anything.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/06/18 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
I'd be interested in more of these if so many weren't almost certainly going to be Chino. As it is I'll have to see what the cap logos look like. The 1939 one is almost certainly one I'll be picking up. My enthusiasm to spend money on Reds stuff is also pretty low right now since they haven't even attempted to win since 2014, but we'll see what this offseason brings. There's some big talk floating around but until you get pen to paper it doesn't mean anything.

I'm interested in that one too. Looks like the lighter navy? That would be accurate according to MLBcollectors.com. The Indians wore pretty much the same cap at one point* but I think it might have been the darker shade. That's the one I actually want but this Reds TBTC will do if it's got good poly. I'll also jump on a solid red/no drop shadow cap depending on the poly. Mine has a crooked logo and required extensive work to get the crown down. Wish this new one had a flat logo but unfortunately that doesn't look to be the case.

And finally, I'm surprised they won't be wearing the white crown two-tone that HC recently released. Wonder if that's how HC got the go-ahead to sell that one? Missed it on its first run and hoping it gets a re-stock.

*Minority opinion but I'd be happy to see the Indians bring that back as their home cap next year with a solid navy/red wishbone c on the road.
Fiddy Sicks
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/06/18 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:

Yeah my first thought on seeing that pinstriped cap is that there is absolutely no way we’re getting a MUSA version of that.

The pre 1999 primary cap is my absolute favorite hat of all time though so there’s something to be excited about here.
MrRed

Post Posted: 11/06/18 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very excited about these as I missed out on the 90s TBTC in 2016, and I have wanted a pinstripe cap for a while now.

Only drawback is that in the photos, the logos look wrong. The C looks too big.

95 home:

76 home (as well as 90 home, 69 home, 67 home, 56 road)

Here is the 99 home just for comparison sake. Removing the white shadow has this C much smaller than the other two unless my eyes are deceiving me:

I seriously hope these are mockups, because these issues are eyesores and hugely disappointing.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/07/18 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The flag looks downright brutal on that pinstripe cap. Been a while since I got excited for a new On-Field and I'd forgotten how the obnoxious NE logo sours that experience. Thank god for Hat Club and their tonal flags.
MrRedLegs

Post Posted: 11/07/18 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrRed wrote:
Very excited about these as I missed out on the 90s TBTC in 2016, and I have wanted a pinstripe cap for a while now.

Only drawback is that in the photos, the logos look wrong. The C looks too big.

95 home:

76 home (as well as 90 home, 69 home, 67 home, 56 road)

Here is the 99 home just for comparison sake. Removing the white shadow has this C much smaller than the other two unless my eyes are deceiving me:

I seriously hope these are mockups, because these issues are eyesores and hugely disappointing.

Not sure if the wishbone C is larger, or if it's just raised and thicker, from the 1990s wool hat versions, making it appear larger. But that's what happens with many modern TBTC hats, yes?

Hat Club does some custom throwbacks on modern poly with flat logos that more closely resemble the originals. But either MLB wants bigger, thicker logos for TV viewing purposes or NE just wants to make them that way in their TBTC efforts.

Here's a 1990s wool original:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cincinnati-Reds-New-Era-The-5950-Hat-Size-6-5-8-100-Wool/312267054108?hash=item48b4911c1c:g:CWsAAOSwhntbxPSL:rk:19:pf:0
Whittness
Rookie

Post Posted: 11/07/18 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
All of these close-ups have black underbills but the pictures in yesterday's Uni Watch article look like everything has gray underbills. I'm very confused.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/11/06/reds-drop-the-bomb-15-throwbacks-on-tap-for-2019/
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/07/18 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whittness wrote:
All of these close-ups have black underbills but the pictures in yesterday's Uni Watch article look like everything has gray underbills. I'm very confused.

https://uni-watch.com/2018/11/06/reds-drop-the-bomb-15-throwbacks-on-tap-for-2019/

I saw a mix of black and gray underbrims when I was first checking out the Twitter photos. Assuming these were put together quickly and NE used whatever was available. Hopefully we get some green underbrims for the pre-70's caps but I'm not holding my breath.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/08/18 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope the C on the final version doesn't look like it does on that 1995 cap. That isn't even close to what any version of that logo actually looked like. The flat-embroidered version was very round, the 3D embroidered version looked more like the TBTC "C" from a couple of years ago (the one that had a grey under). That C is, like, a Lids custom version of an old Reds logo.
Royal Laegotti
Gold Member

Post Posted: 11/13/18 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those “C’s” look terrible, the opening is too open, New Era strikes again, just dumb!
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 11/13/18 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any news on teams (besides the Marlins) which may be releasing new hats this winter?
Page 1 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: