What Factors Help You Decide on a Hat?View previous topic :: View next topic  
tducken

Post Posted: 08/29/18 9:15 pm    Post subject: What Factors Help You Decide on a Hat? Reply with quote
Almost every hat I own is from a local team (I live in Seattle), though I do have one minor league hat from a team in Florida.

Part of the reason most of the hats I own are from local teams is because I like the color schemes chosen by NW teams. The Seahawks are blue and green and the Mariners are dark blue, teal and silver.

But what matters to you? Local teams, design, color scheme? Does it matter if the team is a good franchise or not? Sometimes I feel ridiculous wearing a Mariner hat when I travel because they have been kind of a joke for a long time but I overlook it because I actually like their design.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/29/18 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the most part, if I like a hat I'll get it. I certainly buy more Tribe hats than anything else.

There are a few teams I will never own any of their merch, I don't care how nice of a hat they come up with.
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What Factors Help You Decide on a Hat? Reply with quote
tducken wrote:
Almost every hat I own is from a local team (I live in Seattle), though I do have one minor league hat from a team in Florida.

Part of the reason most of the hats I own are from local teams is because I like the color schemes chosen by NW teams. The Seahawks are blue and green and the Mariners are dark blue, teal and silver.

But what matters to you? Local teams, design, color scheme? Does it matter if the team is a good franchise or not? Sometimes I feel ridiculous wearing a Mariner hat when I travel because they have been kind of a joke for a long time but I overlook it because I actually like their design.

For me, it's pretty simple. It has to be a team I don't actively dislike. Also, I really try to get unique colorways, which is why I've recently expanded into collecting MiLB. Also, it has to be MUSA, unless it's impossible to find one and it's a hat I "need" to have.

I generally steer clear of patch caps because I think a hat with a well-designed logo and nothing else can be perfect.
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/29/18 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
For the most part, if I like a hat I'll get it. I certainly buy more Tribe hats than anything else.

There are a few teams I will never own any of their merch, I don't care how nice of a hat they come up with.

Which teams, out of curiosity?
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/22/18 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm (obviously, it's the only team I ever reference in this forum) a Cubs fan - but as a kid growing up, I wore caps of different teams and a lot of Cooperstown caps - particularly besides the Cubs I had some Brooklyn Dodger caps, and a New York Giants. Reluctantly for some reason as an adult I have come to the conclusion that I cannot "rock" (as I've heard NE fans hipper than me say...) them anymore. A couple of years ago I had a Brooklyn cap on and someone just assumed I was also a modern day L.A. Dodgers fan - which is not the case at all. I would wear a Brooklyn cap to honor Jackie Robinson, for example - but that does not mean I'm a Clayton Kershaw fan. Some folks don't get the difference. So anymore it's 100% Cubs, and yes - I'm more than a bit obsessive about it... Shocked
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/24/18 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In terms of the quality of the cap - I look for a decently centered brim (despite OCD concerns, if it's off a couple of millimeters one direction or another, the brim on your head is still basically going to look straight), then a well-sewn and mostly centered logo. For the Cubs, (you've seen my other posts on this) the logo can sometimes be horribly out of position either to the left or the right of the center seam when it should be directly in the middle. Sometimes this kills the cap, other times depending on other factors - it's really not that noticeable. I've had a cap with a perfectly centered logo that looked off before because of brim issues, and one that had a logo that was technically sewn too-far left, but for whatever reason looked perfectly normal centered when on my head.

Beyond that, a general fit and quality of the cap. I'm not so much into "MUSA soft poly" or other differences that some of you can see. I wear my caps a lot and so eventually on one that is broken in, the poly is going to start to get dirty anyway. I can tell that MUSA and MUSAWIM is better quality poly than Chinese right off the bat, but the poly on my list of qualities to make "dealbreaker" on a cap is not usually near the top.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 10/26/18 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To me the biggest dealbreakers are a centered bill (roughly equal amount of stitches on the left and right side of the bill on either side of the left and right seams, if that makes sense) and centered logo.

If the bill is too far to one side or the other the cap will never, ever look or feel right (you can either wear it so the bill is straight and it feels right but the cap looks like Fernando Rodney's, or you can wear it so the front is straight and the bill will never be comfortable, it'll always be screwed up). I bought four TBTCs in one order back in 2013 and three of them had horribly crooked bills. This was a real problem for NE in that timeframe, no clue if they've fixed it as my purchasing has pretty much stopped. I would up selling them all on the Bay and none of the buyers complained so I guess this is just a personal quirk of mine.

If the logo has an up-down element it needs to be in the middle of the middle front seam. If it has a left-right element it needs to be correct. It's amazing NE can't get these two things right more often. Pet peeve: on Reds caps they seem to have zero clue how they want to center the C. Do you make the middle the "empty space" in the letter C (I prefer this), or do you make the middle the center point between the leftmost stitch and rightmost stitch (NE does this)? Most examples look lopsided to the right because most of the "weight" of the logo is on the right, but that seems to be how NE prefers to do it. I've seen them aligned too far to the left, as well, which is ALSO bad.

I hate a crown that's lumpy, this was also a common issue five or so years ago and I am not sure what causes it.

As long as the button covers up the point where all the stitching meets on the top I'm good, I've seen them really "off" to the point that the top doesn't sit right.

Crooked MLB logos are really bad, too. I've seen some doozies.

I've had a couple of Chinese poly caps that were okay, but the main issue with Chinese poly is that it is typically a lint magnet, to the point that you have to lint brush it every time you wear it. That is so annoying. The velvety-feeling poly always does this; the rougher poly isn't as bad.

There's a lot of things that can screw up a cap! This is why I always hated ordering online.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: