What do we know about NE "Retro Crown"?View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/02/18 12:48 pm    Post subject: What do we know about NE "Retro Crown"? Reply with quote
Not sure this belongs in "Authentics", but here goes:

Anyone know about these caps? I literally just found this today. Looks like a regular 59F, but with some "denting" on the upper crown, a la the way old school wool caps used to get. Only difference I can see in the Cubs cap is that the button on top is blue, not red like the on-fields.

Great...something else that I will now have to buy before I'm satisfied!

https://www.neweracap.com/All-Headwear/59FIFTY/RETRO-CROWN-59FIFTY/c/AHER59
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/02/18 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never seen those before. Some of the designs are pretty nice. I have to assume these are made over seas. I'll wait until one of you guys buy one and gives us a review, LOL.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/02/18 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look on the main page. There's a Side by side
https://www.neweracap.com
Retro looks like a deflated bean bag.

I mean even your 47brand dad caps have some structure to their crown. You'd have to go back to the 70s or prior to find on fields that have a super ugly deflated look. Ebbets field like if that's your thing.

Then again, used and beat up 80-90s caps can sort of look this way through sheer force and wear. Even a regular low crown, through regular wear, will have it's crown become soft. I guess I'm a fan of watching your cap evolve.
Ksolo12

Post Posted: 08/02/18 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was at an Anaheim Angles game last week and the Team Store had these for sale. The crowns are basically dented and squared off to replicate that old school look as I remember a lot of on field hats looking like this in the 80's and early 90's.

I'm more person who likes to have a nice front crown without all the dents so it was an easy pass for me. I'll be interested to see some photos of those popping up in the photo thread.
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/02/18 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ksolo12 wrote:
I was at an Anaheim Angles game last week and the Team Store had these for sale. The crowns are basically dented and squared off to replicate that old school look as I remember a lot of on field hats looking like this in the 80's and early 90's.

I'm more person who likes to have a nice front crown without all the dents so it was an easy pass for me. I'll be interested to see some photos of those popping up in the photo thread.

Im in your camp, as my preferences have evolved. I used to break down the buckram and lower the crowns, which once I changed caused me to sell off 51 of my hat collection. Ive bought 45 new in mint shape to keep/wear without modifying beyond a little necessary shrinking in the oven as needed.

I would need to see this on review here or in person before I purchased. Especially after the pro-light fiasco (peeling logos).
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/02/18 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few things I find notable:

1 These are being given the same stature as the standard 5950 and the low profile. I'm assuming NE plans to heavily promote these and keep them around?
2 The photo from the ad is much more helpful than the stock photos. Definitely has the EFF look.
3 Photo from the ad also suggests that the stock photos are probably just mockups since the Dodgers cap in the ad has the correct white squatchee whereas none of the stock photo caps have a contrasting squatchee when appropriate.
4 Unlike EFF caps, the material listed on these is polyester. I'm curious about these but there's no way in hell I'll be buying any if they're all Chino poly. I'm fully expecting Guru to pop into the thread any moment now to confirm that they will be. lol

Ronnieb wrote:
Im in your camp, as my preferences have evolved. I used to break down the buckram and lower the crowns, which once I changed caused me to sell off 51 of my hat collection. Ive bought 45 new in mint shape to keep/wear without modifying beyond a little necessary shrinking in the oven as needed.

Ha, same here! I still bend brims slightly and blow-dry my crowns but I try to keep my caps as mint as possible now. I feel like I've done my job if I'm able to make them look new, if not necessarily feel new, after a steaming and Nu-Cap session. I have a box of old Cool Base and over-'fixed' caps that I'm eventually just gonna list on Ebay with a starting bid of $1. My tastes have changed so much that I'd rather wear a modern HC custom or even a de-flagged TBTC over the lower profile poly caps from years past.
Ronnieb
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/02/18 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
A few things I find notable:

1 These are being given the same stature as the standard 5950 and the low profile. I'm assuming NE plans to heavily promote these and keep them around?
2 The photo from the ad is much more helpful than the stock photos. Definitely has the EFF look.
3 Photo from the ad also suggests that the stock photos are probably just mockups since the Dodgers cap in the ad has the correct white squatchee whereas none of the stock photo caps have a contrasting squatchee when appropriate.
4 Unlike EFF caps, the material listed on these is polyester. I'm curious about these but there's no way in hell I'll be buying any if they're all Chino poly. I'm fully expecting Guru to pop into the thread any moment now to confirm that they will be. lol

Ronnieb wrote:

Ha, same here! I still bend brims slightly and blow-dry my crowns but I try to keep my caps as mint as possible now. I feel like I've done my job if I'm able to make them look new, if not necessarily feel new, after a steaming and Nu-Cap session. I have a box of old Cool Base and over-'fixed' caps that I'm eventually just gonna list on Ebay with a starting bid of $1. My tastes have changed so much that I'd rather wear a modern HC custom or even a de-flagged TBTC over the lower profile poly caps from years past.

EXACTLY!!! I thought I was going to lean towards being a low crown guy, but the shape of my head just doesnt allow. Ichiro might be the only person Ive ever seen pull it off and make it look right. Sold all of my low crowns, not going that route again. Sold those 51 for what aminted to 2$ per. Agreed about feeling as if its a win once you maintain as much of the new look with minor adjustments. I make minor curves to my brims as well.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/02/18 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnieb wrote:
EXACTLY!!! I thought I was going to lean towards being a low crown guy, but the shape of my head just doesnt allow. Ichiro might be the only person Ive ever seen pull it off and make it look right. Sold all of my low crowns, not going that route again. Sold those 51 for what aminted to 2$ per. Agreed about feeling as if its a win once you maintain as much of the new look with minor adjustments. I make minor curves to my brims as well.

To be honest I think I'm actually one of those people who looks better in a LC cap. My issue is comfort: for whatever reason I've gotten to the point where I can't stand a cap putting any pressure on my temples/forehead/scalp. Modern LC caps are especially bad in that regard but even the mid-crown Cool Bases bother me now. I love wearing a cap that barely feels like it's even on my head so I've come to especially appreciate the very slightly over-sized crowns/fits that HC customs seem to have more often than On-Fields for some reason. I have to break those crowns down a bit more than usual but can leave the brim a bit more flat which is especially important when trying to keep a 5950 looking new.
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 08/02/18 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's funny, I've kind of embraced the different sizes and crown heights. Sometimes my hair is quite long, so the newer caps get more wear during these periods and when I get it cut, I wear Cool Bases. This way, I always generally buy the same size. I only own one LC, however, and I probably wouldn't buy another one. I just don't like how they look.

There are a few of my current-day caps that could use some minor shrinking, but I never work up the nerve to do it. Laughing
bamahater
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/03/18 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
These seem like a neat idea and I looked for the Astros version. They used the 2000's logo Rolling Eyes I'd buy one if they made a Colt .45's one because that would be somewhat accurate to that time period.
tducken

Post Posted: 08/16/18 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see they have some NFL ones as well. Could be interesting to snag a wool NFL hat.
Johnny Fedora
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/16/18 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need them to do a white fronted, Orioles Home Cap in this style!!!

John
tducken

Post Posted: 08/30/18 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone snagged one of these hats yet? I'm interested to hear some reviews.
go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 08/30/18 7:25 pm    Post subject: Just got one in the mail today Reply with quote
Curiosity got the better of me, so I got one of the regular black & white White Sox ones.

Short version: It basically feels like a '47 Brand Clean Up cap. Structure is somewhere between a '47 and an EFF.

Long version: The description says it's a "slightly less structured version of the traditional 59FIFTY." Probably closer to say it has almost no structure. Behind the front 2 panels are a grey type of linen that has no stiffness to it at all. The rest is Made In China Poly, but it's much thinner than any other 59Fifty I've seen. When I take it off, the front panels do sit up so there is something keeping from totally folding, but I literally can't feel any stiffness to it. So it's unlike an EFF to me, but not completely unstructured like a '47. The tagging on it has the "Genuine Merchandise" tag to the left of the New Era/ Country of Origin Label (COOL). The Sox logo on the front is smaller than a regular on field one. But that kinda makes sense, since the crown is so much smaller.

I'm normally a fan of the low-crowns although I'm less picky about it nowadays. So this wouldn't be my 1st choice for going wearing on a regular basis, but it's not horrible either. The reason I'd wear a 59Fifty in the 1st place is to wear a hat that looks neat and stands up. This one just looks neat.

I'd also say, I suspect New Era is specifically going after Ebbets Field Flannels products by putting out one with similar wool and one with a less of structure like theirs, just in 2 different hats. I bet they get combined at some point- just a hunch.

Low crown from 2014 on the left and the retro on the right.

Low crown on my noggin'

Retro crown:

wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/18 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice review. On head retro looks like a very very very well worn American made poly regular crown cap. I have a few 5-6 yr old beater on fields with the visible dents in the crown. Yet despite it having dents, it still has a bit of structure and mass to it. The new retros look paper thin, as if a 5-6 yr old cap got ran over by 100 cars.

Even on field wools get those dents naturally. I guess instead of going back to better quality to get this look naturally, they thinned out the Chinese poly and lessened the structural integrity.

I don't get the retro crown naming. What era Are they going for? No one really wore Caps like this unless they wore it all season long and happened to run it over countless times.

I get it though. There's been dad hats with distressed bills for years now. This sort of accomplishes that. But even your class dad hat by 47 brand
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/47-mens-minnesota-twins-clean-up-navy-adjustable-hat-1747bmmlbtwnsnvycapa/1747bmmlbtwnsnvycapa
Is already done by new era with the 9twenty
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/new-era-womens-new-york-yankees-9twenty-adjustable-hat-18newwmlbynksnvywapa/18newwmlbynksnvywapa

So I'm torn. It looks the same as the pro light lightweight garbage
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: