Does anyone know what this wool Reds cap is?View previous topic :: View next topic  
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/25/18 5:08 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know what this wool Reds cap is? Reply with quote
Does anyone know what this cap is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CINCINNATI-REDS-NEW-ERA-WHITE-SIZE-7-1-2-WOOL-CAP-HAT-NEW/202226100461?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I did some research and the Reds held a TBTC game back in '92 with similar caps, but the eyelets were white and not red. On MLB Collectors, I found the hats the Reds wore in the 50's, but none had red eyelets. Perhaps this is am error from another TBTC game? The tags look like 80's NE, but the first TBTC only occurred in the early 90's with the White Sox, right?

Is it just a "fashion cap" of the era?

It would be fun to figure this out.
baby dhibs
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 02/26/18 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe these have been discussed a while back, if I'm not mistaken it's an early stab at a "custom" that originated as an NE idea for a Spring Training cap. When MLB didn't go for it as an onfield they released them as maybe the first customs. If I'm wrong, someone more knowledgeable can correct, of course!
m_y_t_h
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/26/18 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
baby dhibs wrote:
I believe these have been discussed a while back, if I'm not mistaken it's an early stab at a "custom" that originated as an NE idea for a Spring Training cap. When MLB didn't go for it as an onfield they released them as maybe the first customs. If I'm wrong, someone more knowledgeable can correct, of course!

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I found it curious since the tags didn't match up with the batterman on the back. It's not a bad looking cap!
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Trade/Buy/Sell "MARKETPLACE"

Jump to: