Is this on field fake? Need opinionsView previous topic :: View next topic  
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/07/19 6:42 pm    Post subject: Is this on field fake? Need opinions Reply with quote
Something seems off and I thought I’d ask here since I’m interested in the cap
Initial two photos from the auction

First, I don’t believed the Indians ever wore the dark navy WITH cool base branding
Second, the material looks quite slick and corduroy like texture.

I asked and was sent these additional photos

Other two photos have some things that stand out. The wording, THE OFFICIAL ON FIELD CAP OF MLB is all strung together and it’s missing - between ON-FIELD.
The little NE logo has a TM instead of a registered circle R.
The made in USA tagging looks perfect though.

He has other sizes and teams.

Texture wise, it looks like one panel is diagonal. While the other panel more vertical. I don't think real caps mess this part up. Thoughts.

I guess if anything a heads up if it is fake.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/07/19 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fake.
caplover83

Post Posted: 03/07/19 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fake.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/07/19 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
100% FB and Fake. Thanks. That's a scary thought.

The logo size is usually a big give away. But not here.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/07/19 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fake and if not super low quality Chino. The poly on that Red Sox one looks especially nasty.
caplover83

Post Posted: 03/08/19 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm always wary when the cool base sticker doesn't align with the separate size sticker.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/08/19 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For that tagging, fake. However, that is probably what all NE hats will look in circa 2021. Buy now and get ahead of the curve.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/08/19 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tagging is too close too, right? The hat almost looks like Chinese wool.

I also got this photo

Brim looks likes it's unraveling at the edges. So for now, fakes like these are a slight level below 'authentic' made in chinas. But yeah, were closing in on these being the same
tducken

Post Posted: 03/30/19 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
For that tagging, fake. However, that is probably what all NE hats will look in circa 2021. Buy now and get ahead of the curve.

What part of the tagging would you say is fake? Just curious because I've been looking for MUSA on ebay lately.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/31/19 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tducken wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

What part of the tagging would you say is fake? Just curious because I've been looking for MUSA on ebay lately.

The material the crown is made out of does not match what would have been used when those tags were used. Also, that sticker, on the bill, is sloppy as hell.
neweranewbie723

Post Posted: 04/01/19 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whoa i think i ordered for same person , purchased this A's hat. Looking at his listings he has lots of fashion beand clothes , hats etc. And no bad reviews so i assumed it was legit. Heres pica of A's 59fifty cap https://imgur.com/a/P8mWCQg
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/01/19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I did a bit of research.

-The three tags are all legit in appearance/font etc. Where they stand out as possibly fake is in regards to their placement so close to one another.

-Also the piping text, as mentioned before, is a clear cut give away. If your cap is missing that - sign between ON and FIELD, Its likely to be fake. The wording shouldn't be so close to one another either.

-Now the big sticker is an area that's a bit more grey. I've received legit made in China on field caps with white/blue pre cool base tagging but had a big cool base brim sticker.

I know of legit sports shops who put big stickers on their grey under wool inventory when the poly switch first happened. So now you see some legit caps with big stickers floating around.

In regards to this specific sticker, there are two things off. Someone mentioned the centering being off. That's one give away.

The other is the black edges on the top and bottom of the sticker.

It should look like this.

The top black line should not go edge to edge on the top. The bottom is less thin too. The fake sticker is terribly done.

Lastly, a sloppy batterman is a good give away for being fake. An undefined brim of his cap is one small element fake producers can't get right. However many made in China legit caps come this way. So this is just one indicator that you could have a fake.

Sellers name is lorhir-71
neweranewbie723

Post Posted: 04/01/19 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone check the ebay store of datedandmodern1, this is the person i ordered the oakland a's hat from.
tducken

Post Posted: 04/03/19 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm curious about the 6 strips on the inside of the cap. All of mine (bought in 2015/2016) only say 59fifty with the logo next to that. None of mine say anything about being official on field, only place mine mention on field is on the authentic collection tag.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/03/19 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tducken wrote:
So I'm curious about the 6 strips on the inside of the cap. All of mine (bought in 2015/2016) only say 59fifty with the logo next to that. None of mine say anything about being official on field, only place mine mention on field is on the authentic collection tag.

Yeah that's common. I think all of my 2012-2015 fly your own flag on fields have the same vague piping. Same with a 2016 and 2017 on field.

2011 Cool base and before have the official ON-FIELD markings for the most part. I have however seen a tad bit of overlap so it's not always a clear cut issue if the piping is off, just one part of it.
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: