Plastic taping in wool 59fiftyView previous topic :: View next topic  
tducken

Post Posted: 05/15/19 7:57 pm    Post subject: Plastic taping in wool 59fifty Reply with quote
I just snagged an '03 M's wool off of ebay. It was the first wool 59fifty that I've picked up and I noticed there is a plastic taping on the inside of the sweatband. Just curious, what purpose does this serve?
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/15/19 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to say it’s new eras early way of moisture wicking sweat away from staining a crown or bill.

I believe a few of my late 80s caps have it. Even some 2006 era moved towards a canvas like material. And beyond and into poly, I don’t think plastic was used at all

It can crack. And I don’t feel it really truly worked as intended. But it was their trial into moisture wicking the generic way.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/17/19 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wallyhopp wrote:
I want to say it’s new eras early way of moisture wicking sweat away from staining a crown or bill.

I believe a few of my late 80s caps have it. Even some 2006 era moved towards a canvas like material. And beyond and into poly, I don’t think plastic was used at all

It can crack. And I don’t feel it really truly worked as intended. But it was their trial into moisture wicking the generic way.

That's true, it can crack. If it cracks it can sometimes make your cap fit 1 to 2 sizes larger. Not sure how that worked but when they introduced the sweatbands with the cheap grocery bag-like fabric behind the sweatband it solved that issue.

I personally prefer the old sweatbands, they were thicker and thus more soft and comfortable. They actually continued to show up periodically until a few years ago, at least in minor league caps. I have a 2010 Portland Beavers and 2012 San Jose Giants with the old style bands in black.
wallyhopp
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/17/19 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm intrigued now

I looked at a late 80s cap. It's more of a white canvas Sweatband under. Early and mid 90s to Early 00s, it's kind of a plastic see through lunch bag material. Mid 00s to last year of wool in 06, it returned to a white canvas material.

Now sweatband and brim thickness shined 2000-2006. I call 2003-2006 the golden era.

I may try to get a better recollection going with defined years and such. Would anyone be interested? I probably have a cap from every year since 1988
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: