Say BYE-BYE to the NE-flag logo on the side of your CoopCollView previous topic :: View next topic  
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/10/12 9:47 pm    Post subject: Say BYE-BYE to the NE-flag logo on the side of your CoopColl Reply with quote
I HAVE YOU NOW NEW ERA!!

Stuck with Cooperstown Collection 5950's and that awful NE flag logo on the side? Well, here is how you eliminate them without ruining your hat!

Go to your local pharmacy and get a seam-ripper. This is what they look like:

Here is the before:

Here is the after:

ALWAYS take your time and don't rush yourself. Always make sure you are only ripping fabric that is NOT the color of the hat(or else you will ruin your hat). As you can see on the "after" photos I was in a rush and ripped some red threads. Since then I have taken my white-crown Senators cap and flawlessly removed the black NE flag from it. If you aren't sure of yourself practice on a beat-up fashion cap. Hope this helps some people!
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/10/12 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great job! I've thought about doing this before, especially with that retarded frame that New Era has been putting around the batterman logo on their Cooperstown Collection. Kinda want to try this out....

Joogiee
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 01/10/12 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
Great job! I've thought about doing this before, especially with that retarded frame that New Era has been putting around the batterman logo on their Cooperstown Collection. Kinda want to try this out....

I feel like trying it out on one hat just to get the hang of it would be a great exhange for being able to have all future hats look exactly the way you want them too.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/10/12 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:

Hey dbacks, I took a look at one of my Coop's with the border around the batterman logo. It appears that the border is sewn into the batterman and that border and batterman are one. It may end up completely removing batterman if you try, let us know how it goes if you do. I always assumed that the NE flag was put onto the hat in such a way that removing it would also destroy the hat(that is the way it looks upon inspection) but I got so fed up that I said "the hell with it" and it worked. This seam-ripper(which cost $3) totally saved me from trying out the paint-marker experiment(which would have been $$$ since all art supplies are overpriced). Although I still want to get a white paint marker to see how covering up the stitching on the new Orioles on-field goes(and if it goes good then I will say bye-bye to the stitching on my Toronto on-field white-crown cap, which has the blue stitching).
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/10/12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I might as well post the pics of the Senators NE logo removal results:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/11/12 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it's wool, I'd probably drip some hot water on the cap where the flag was, that way it would shrink up just ever so slightly to remove any holes that might be present from the stitching.

Mind taking a closer up pic? It's kinda hard to see if there is any sign of that godawful flag left.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
If it's wool, I'd probably drip some hot water on the cap where the flag was, that way it would shrink up just ever so slightly to remove any holes that might be present from the stitching.

Mind taking a closer up pic? It's kinda hard to see if there is any sign of that godawful flag left.

Unfortunately with the white crown, "flawless" was not the word to describe how it turned out and you can see just a hint of the flag's imprint left on the hat. I think this is mainly due to the crown being white. Underneath that I put a photo of a Marlins hat I performed logo-removal surgery on. On the Marlins cap the flag was black. There is no hint of an imprint left on the Florida hat. I'm still satisfied with my work and "surgery" will be ongoing throughout the week...

SENATORS CAP:

FLORIDA CAP:

Fraser Boy
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/11/12 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Overall great job! I've heard someone talk about removing the flag on the side and think I've even seen photos of the before and after, but wasn't quite sure how one removed the stitching or which utencil was used. I might have to invest in one of those seam rippers. Do your remove the stitching from the inside of the cap or the outside?
andrewmaxwell
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is awesome! And you can't tell at all on the Marlins hat. I'm looking for it & can't find it!

www.milbtravels.blogspot.com
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fraser Boy wrote:
Overall great job! I've heard someone talk about removing the flag on the side and think I've even seen photos of the before and after, but wasn't quite sure how one removed the stitching or which utencil was used. I might have to invest in one of those seam rippers. Do your remove the stitching from the inside of the cap or the outside?

You have to work both the outside and inside of the crown. I wish I was good at explaining this type of stuff. Give me a bit and I will try to put together a photo how-to. The key is not to rush yourself(which you may find yourself doing after awhile, so careful).
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/11/12 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What if you took some packing tape and rolled it over where the logo was on the inside and outside? It might pull up some of those black thread fibers and help hide where it was a little more.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
What if you took some packing tape and rolled it over where the logo was on the inside and outside? It might pull up some of those black thread fibers and help hide where it was a little more.

Unfortunately due to the crown being white this is there permanently. I also believe that since I was handling that area of the cap so much the white simply became discolored from my own fingers. **NOTE** To 99.9 percent of those around you these small mistakes/errors are invisible, only hat-nerds like us can notice(and even then, only if you were to tell them to take a close inspection). Keep in mind that these photos were taken with an iPhone4S camera(it has a tendency to make everything look awful). In about 20 or so minuted under this post I will have a "quick" photo tutorial on how-to.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a quick photo-tutorial on how to remove the NE flag. Sorry this could not be more detailed(I will have an MLB cap-blog up at some point in the future, give me time). Remember: ALWAYS TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT RUSH!! Apologies in advance if this is scatter-brained, I am running on fumes at the moment...

So, here is a better look at the seam ripper -

As you can see, it is basically a small "bayonet", if you will.

STEP 1: Insert the seam ripper under a few threads and simply move it forward. The threads will simply split, as if actually cut. DO NOT cut anywhere near as many threads at a time as depicted in the photo below(I have that many threads ready for cut in the photo below just to give you the general idea) - , 3-4 threads at a time is plenty.

Below is how things will look if done successfully. Notice the single line of vertical white stitching which remains after you have lifted the left border of the flag, since these are sewn incredibly tightly you have to take EXTREME caution when ripping out those seems as they are the "anchors", if you will. If you are in a rush you will certainly rip the actual hat threads.

Here is the inside of the cap. Do the same thing. At this point you will find that most of the fibers simply fall off. DO NOT PULL OR TUG ON ANYTHING THAT REMAINS! Patience and the seam ripper are your tools, not your fingers.

Here is what it will basically look like after removing the left portion of the flag on the outside of the hat as well as the inside.

You will notice that the areas on the inside of the cap where the flag are that aren't stitching look to be part of the cap somehow. These are actually extremely thin sheets of fabric, which you can feel safe removing by hand. Keep applying the same method over the rest of the flag. You will notice that the horizontal elements of the flag(the stripes) are much harder to remove. Just go slow and don't force anything or do too much at once. Do not "tug" with your fingers on any threads that are being stubborn, this will result in nothing good. Also, BE CAREFUL with the point of the seam ripper itself, it is incredibly sharp and can go right through your cap. It's about my bed time and I know people are waiting, so this is rushed. Below is a photo of what your hat will look like when "things go wrong". In my opinion, it looks better than the flag being there anyway!

This is the result of "tugging" rather than taking my time and using the ripper methodically. Also a bit of putting the seam ripper through the actual hat. It looks bad in the photo but it is actually quite sound looking to naked eye. Remember, digital cameras now have the ability to make everything look bad. I already posted the photo of the Marlins cap with NE flag removed earlier in this thread, so refer to that for what success appears like. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK! I have had experience using a seam ripper in the past plenty of times, so you may want to find something similar that you can possibly ruin before actually diving in. Oh ya, make sure you have a lint remover and the broom by your side. This makes a surprisingly large mess - notice the tiny orange bits of fibers on the right side of the "ruined" cap. A lint brush is all you need...
crookedtree
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ive often thought of using a marker to make black on black aka "blackout" hats out of a couple but afraid they might run if it gets wet. what would be the best markers to experiment with, sharpie? ive even considered using fabric dye.
EllisBurks88
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/11/12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just realized something through trial and error. DO NOT perform this on hats that you actually wear(unless like me you really cannot stand that NE-flag - it is blasphemous and makes the hat look cheap, IMO). Coops are made out of wool and your sweat will cause the hat to shrink(duh) and "hug" the NE flag, making the flag still "visible"(barely, but we all have our standards) to some degree. I own a ton of Coops that I do not wear(yet still buy and eventually replace with grey or green bottom visors w/out the NE flag on the side). The Marlins and the 1975 Red Sox cap that are in the photos are amongst the coops that have never been worn except for in front of a mirror and they came out great along with the other 5-6 caps I have been able to get through(50+ more to go). The Padres cap, which I used as an example for "bad" NE flag removal is a hat which I actually wore. There are 2 other caps that I did surgery on(72-85 Rangers and 77-79 Mariners) that I wore occasionally and the same thing happened even without any error in my removal. I'm still proceeding regardless even on the few that I did wear regularly, the "mirage" of a flag still looks 10X greater than it actually being there.
Page 1 of 6   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: