Tag Guide For New Era On-Field MLB Caps: Early Days to 1996View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/01/12 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes please! I'd love to see the updated version. You should also include the rivet that holds the button on too, those have varied over the years too.
blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/01/12 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I would love to see an update. This information is invaluable. I have downloaded the images to my phone so I can reference it when I find older hats at an estate sale or thrift store.

I know this is a New Era site, but a similar guide for the other manufacturers would be helpful too, particularly KM. I have tried to piece together a similar guide for Ebbets Field Flannels caps, but even though they have only been around about 30 years, there are still a lot of gaps I have missing.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/01/12 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
blueturf wrote:
Yes, I would love to see an update. This information is invaluable. I have downloaded the images to my phone so I can reference it when I find older hats at an estate sale or thrift store.

I know this is a New Era site, but a similar guide for the other manufacturers would be helpful too, particularly KM. I have tried to piece together a similar guide for Ebbets Field Flannels caps, but even though they have only been around about 30 years, there are still a lot of gaps I have missing.

KM really only had three tags. The long McAuliffe one, the blue McAuiliffe one, and the white KM one. I don't know when they switched from the long to the blue, probably in the 50s, but the white one began in 1969.

EFF, and other on-field companies such as Roman and Sports Specialties are more complicated.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/01/12 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
blueturf wrote:
I have tried to piece together a similar guide for Ebbets Field Flannels caps, but even though they have only been around about 30 years, there are still a lot of gaps I have missing.
Post what ya got! Love my EFF caps!
blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/01/12 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
KM really only had three tags. The long McAuliffe one, the blue McAuiliffe one, and the white KM one. I don't know when they switched from the long to the blue, probably in the 50s, but the white one began in 1969.

EFF, and other on-field companies such as Roman and Sports Specialties are more complicated.

I remember a fourth style perhaps from the 50's with Tim McCauliffe spelled out in a horizontal white box. Then there was the larger blue vertical box, followed by blue and then white. Each of those tags had slight variations and that is what I am hoping to document. It is somewhat pointless in that no matter the KM tag, the hat is old and usually expensive. I only buy hats I am going to wear so the likelihood of picking up another KM is unlikely.

ay wrote:
blueturf wrote:
I have tried to piece together a similar guide for Ebbets Field Flannels caps, but even though they have only been around about 30 years, there are still a lot of gaps I have missing.

I will work on getting something put together in the near future. I have 7 or 8 EFF hats, although the first one I have from 1990 is when they outsourced with Cooperstown Ballcap Co.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/02/12 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
blueturf wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

I remember a fourth style perhaps from the 50's with Tim McCauliffe spelled out in a horizontal white box. Then there was the larger blue vertical box, followed by blue and then white. Each of those tags had slight variations and that is what I am hoping to document. It is somewhat pointless in that no matter the KM tag, the hat is old and usually expensive. I only buy hats I am going to wear so the likelihood of picking up another KM is unlikely.

There are also variations that show the name "Leslie" on them, which is the company that owned KM. I am fortunate to have a few KMs that I didn't overpay for.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 06/02/12 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
blueturf wrote:

I will work on getting something put together in the near future. I have 7 or 8 EFF hats, although the first one I have from 1990 is when they outsourced with Cooperstown Ballcap Co.[/quote]Aw poor Cooperstown Ballcap Co. I was luck to find a brooklyn dodgers cap by them in my size last year. Didn't know EFF outsourced to them, but admittedly I only got into EFF the past few years and haven't researched their history too much.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/04/12 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
EFF also used Roman Pro Cap Company, Stall & Dean, and now use California Custom Caps.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/04/12 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just looking at some of my hats today and found this size tag. When did they use these because every other 7 1/4 cap i own has 57.7cm as the size on the tag.

Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 06/04/12 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
I was just looking at some of my hats today and found this size tag. When did they use these because every other 7 1/4 cap i own has 57.7cm as the size on the tag.

ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/28/16 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you know much about this style of tags?

I've seen it on an NFL cap as well paired with this tag
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/01/16 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
Do you know much about this style of tags?

I've seen it on an NFL cap as well paired with this tag

Late 80s or early 90s.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/02/16 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't realize this has been made a "sticky". I guess that gives me more motivation to update it. I'll try and work on it this week.
farmermaggots

Post Posted: 02/10/16 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should help (they might not be accurate but atleast this is what I have gathered when I sorted out my collection :

New Era Cursive Script, Small size tag 1989-1992

5950 Logo, Glued on size/ Tagged size info 1993-1996

NE Logo, Long Explanation on size info 1997-2000

NE Logo (Blue and Black), Blue and Black size info 2001-2005

NE Logo (all Blue), Blue size info 2006-2007

Poly NE Logo (Blue) 2007-2008

Poly NE Logo (Cool Base Black) 2009-2011

Poly NE Logo (Black) 2012-2015

Poly NE Logo (Grey/Black?), No Visor Tag 2016

Last edited by farmermaggots on 06/30/16 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ethanwa

Post Posted: 06/26/16 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Bumping this thread back up due to popular demand. I still plan on updating it and adding more recent years in the near future.

Any update to this? Would love some more recent year info.
Page 2 of 5   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: