Retro game day capsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike24
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/27/12 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got a shipment in from AZ, one of the hats is the purple hat from '06 worn this 2011 season. Thanks clubby, its a very awesome ugly hat. Oh ya, and David Hernandez is gonna tear it up next year, he will hit triple digits on the gun. The guy can wing it..
Spike24
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/28/12 12:24 am    Post subject: Times Have Changed Reply with quote
I remember when nobody wanted the purple dbacks hat. It's one of the ugliest hats in baseball next the the old padres. They couldn't even give these hats away, now I'm actually happy to get one. It's pretty funny, I should of known they would be rare since nobody ever wanted them, even the players. I guess that's why they got the new unis. I sure wish I was friends with Shilling and Johnson, their hats from the world series days would be a great score and they probly have boxes of them in storage.
LEROY712
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 01/28/12 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spike24 wrote:
Just got a shipment in from AZ, one of the hats is the purple hat from '06 worn this 2011 season. Thanks clubby, its a very awesome ugly hat. Oh ya, and David Hernandez is gonna tear it up next year, he will hit triple digits on the gun. The guy can wing it..

Hey spike24 would you mind taking pics of the tagging inside? Thanks man.
Spike24
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/28/12 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, no problem. I will try to do it when I get home from the cages. I have only uploaded 2 pics from Tinypic and I had to use my girls phone to do it so if it doesn't work right away I will keep trying. Hey, maybe you can awnser something for me....on tv right now I saw Luis Gonzalez in the 2001 AllStar game homerun derby. He was wearing a hat I don't have and have not seen much of. It's black with a purple bill, the logo looks like a snake head with a black underbill. Was that their batting practice hat that year, I wonder why he wore it in the derby when everyone but gonzo and bonds wore game hats.
LEROY712 wrote:
Spike24 wrote:

Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/28/12 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spike24 wrote:
Sure, no problem. I will try to do it when I get home from the cages. I have only uploaded 2 pics from Tinypic and I had to use my girls phone to do it so if it doesn't work right away I will keep trying. Hey, maybe you can awnser something for me....on tv right now I saw Luis Gonzalez in the 2001 AllStar game homerun derby. He was wearing a hat I don't have and have not seen much of. It's black with a purple bill, the logo looks like a snake head with a black underbill. Was that their batting practice hat that year, I wonder why he wore it in the derby when everyone but gonzo and bonds wore game hats.
LEROY712 wrote:
Spike24 wrote:

It was the BP, the rules on hats in the Derby are pretty loose, I seem to recall Delgado going hatless in his appearances.
soxkrazy
Gold Member

Post Posted: 01/29/12 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spike, 2001 was the only year MLB/New Era produced BP caps with patches for the ASG. That was back when all teams wore the mesh style caps. From 1996 through 2000 and from 2002 to 2006, all players wore game caps with ASG patches for the game, Home Run Derby, etc. Since 2007, there have been American/National BP caps.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/05/12 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just locked down a deal on at 1918 Cubs (FINALLY), I should be getting it next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/05/12 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
I just locked down a deal on at 1918 Cubs (FINALLY), I should be getting it next week.

Holy crap.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/05/12 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

Holy crap.

Not to mention... it's in my size and for a great price! I'm so happy! Very Happy I will post pics as soon as I get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/15/12 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the Cubs team issued 1918 cap. It has the 5950 sticker but not an Authentic sticker. Notice in the third picture the "made in" and material information are missing. Here's what I can tell; the cap is made in China. The feel of the fabric on the crown feels like Chinese polyester, and it has a Chinese fuse (the white band that holds the crown and sweatband together). The crown must be polyester and the navy blue visor fabric feels like wool.

LEROY712
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/15/12 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Here's the Cubs team issued 1918 cap. It has the 5950 sticker but not an Authentic sticker. Notice in the third picture the "made in" and material information are missing. Here's what I can tell; the cap is made in China. The feel of the fabric on the crown feels like Chinese polyester, and it has a Chinese fuse (the white band that holds the crown and sweatband together). The crown must be polyester and the navy blue visor fabric feels like wool.

Nice pick up Paul!
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/15/12 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:

It may still be USA made, I picked up some grey Tucson Padres hats last year that had the same fuse and 'Chinese felt' poly material but they were tagged as USA made and generally fit like a USA made hat.

How does it fit?

Either way a great pick up, you have some serious skill at sleuthing out these rare hats.
LEROY712
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/15/12 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
It may still be USA made, I picked up some grey Tucson Padres hats last year that had the same fuse and 'Chinese felt' poly material but they were tagged as USA made and generally fit like a USA made hat.

How does it fit?

Either way a great pick up, you have some serious skill at sleuthing out these rare hats.

Hell yeah he does!
akbigbadwolf
Rookie

Post Posted: 03/15/12 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
does anyone notice there is a little bit of a "ghost" image on the crown like something was there at some point or is it just me?
RoundTop
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 03/15/12 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
akbigbadwolf wrote:
does anyone notice there is a little bit of a "ghost" image on the crown like something was there at some point or is it just me?

you mean the reflection of the sticker caused by the camera flash?
Page 20 of 21   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: