How do i shrink my New Era cap?View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/21/13 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kool Herc wrote:
Yea no chance I'd try that, I'd be too afraid to forget that I put in the oven and then burn the hat and house down.

That way you'll atleast have a one of a kind Cap Razz
Yeah I'd too forget I'd put it in the oven.Lluckily none of my caps are too big so I wouldn't even have to think about the oven thing Razz
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/13 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bake all my hockey skates in the oven when I first buy them. It works pretty well. Once you take the skates out, you just lace them up and keep them on for an hour and the skates conform to your feet.

Just put the oven timer on and you will not burn the house down!! lol
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/13 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:
I bake all my hockey skates in the oven when I first buy them. It works pretty well. Once you take the skates out, you just lace them up and keep them on for an hour and the skates conform to your feet.

I think this qualifies you as an honourary Canadian. Wink
Doogert
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/21/13 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
XclickX wrote:

I pretty sure you are supposed to do that with any skates you buy, except for the Reeboks because of the pump that is pretty much a baking when you pump it up enough
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 03/21/13 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
XclickX wrote:

I think this qualifies you as an honourary Canadian. Wink

Hey, thanks! I visited Canada once when I was in like 9th grade. Cool country. I went to the hockey hall of fame, good times.
RichieD91
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/27/13 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone got any idea how to shrink hats that are 100% PU (Big face hats) because I got the new galaxy hat today (S/O to dbacks for helping me with that). I wear a 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 and New Era sent a 7 5/8 with a 7 1/2 sticker. Was not happy about it but I know I cant find anyone to trade it with so I wanted to try and shrink it but it's 100% PU so any tips guys?
kevnizzle
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 03/27/13 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
RichieD91 wrote:
Anyone got any idea how to shrink hats that are 100% PU (Big face hats) because I got the new galaxy hat today (S/O to dbacks for helping me with that). I wear a 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 and New Era sent a 7 5/8 with a 7 1/2 sticker. Was not happy about it but I know I cant find anyone to trade it with so I wanted to try and shrink it but it's 100% PU so any tips guys?

Good luck trying to shrink that material. If I were you I wouldn't take the risk; PU material is very easily damaged and it won't really budge anyway. Unless you don't care about damaging how the cap looks, I'd stay away from shrinking it.
Shame on NE for putting a wrong sticker size on the cap. Have you tried contacting them about it? You really should contact them and let them solve it by means of sending you a good size cap or something.
frazer

Post Posted: 03/27/13 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
why shrink an possible ruin your hat, when you can just buy some of these, they go inside the brim and take up the space, no thanks required Smile

http://onspotz.com/products/detail/ETC276
RichieD91
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/27/13 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevnizzle wrote:
RichieD91 wrote:

Good luck trying to shrink that material. If I were you I wouldn't take the risk; PU material is very easily damaged and it won't really budge anyway. Unless you don't care about damaging how the cap looks, I'd stay away from shrinking it.
Shame on NE for putting a wrong sticker size on the cap. Have you tried contacting them about it? You really should contact them and let them solve it by means of sending you a good size cap or something.

The problem is that I couldnt get it in the UK so I asked Dbacks to buy it for me and only realised when I tried both hats and they felt completely different, I know hats are handmade and that can happen but even for a 7 1/2 on the bigger side it felt huge.

@frazer - As good of an idea as it is, I dont really feel like spending a sillly amount of dollars on shipping the little thing to mefrom Japan, thanks for the input though.

Johndoejohndoes

Post Posted: 04/16/13 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been experimenting with "baking" my polyester hats if they are a shade too big.

I got this idea from some website and used it on one of my less-liked caps and it has worked pretty well, and has the potential to work great, with minimal effort involved.

Basically, you set the oven at 300 degrees F (polyester shrinks at temps higher that 270). Then you wet down the cap (except for the brim) and put it on the oven rack. Leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll come out hot & smoking, so let it cool down & dry somewhere. This has shrunk my caps more than 1/2 a size. It's magical, and much better than that labor-intensive stuff that most sites recommend.

You can even shape the crown by placing the cap crown-side down on the oven rack, but this method can backfire easily because it may render the cap lopsided.

Thank you so much!

I just did this today with two new Spring Training Hats I bought (Total of $70) and it worked perfectly! I did it for 12 minutes! I would highly recommend this for someone with a New Era 100% Polyester Hat. The 7 was snug and 7 1/8 was a tiny bit too big. Bought the 7 1/8 and did this. BOOM! Awesome.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/16/13 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johndoejohndoes wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been experimenting with "baking" my polyester hats if they are a shade too big.

I got this idea from some website and used it on one of my less-liked caps and it has worked pretty well, and has the potential to work great, with minimal effort involved.

Basically, you set the oven at 300 degrees F (polyester shrinks at temps higher that 270). Then you wet down the cap (except for the brim) and put it on the oven rack. Leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. It'll come out hot & smoking, so let it cool down & dry somewhere. This has shrunk my caps more than 1/2 a size. It's magical, and much better than that labor-intensive stuff that most sites recommend.

You can even shape the crown by placing the cap crown-side down on the oven rack, but this method can backfire easily because it may render the cap lopsided.

Thank you so much!

I just did this today with two new Spring Training Hats I bought (Total of $70) and it worked perfectly! I did it for 12 minutes! I would highly recommend this for someone with a New Era 100% Polyester Hat. The 7 was snug and 7 1/8 was a tiny bit too big. Bought the 7 1/8 and did this. BOOM! Awesome.

Glad it worked! Do you use an electric or gas oven? I use a gas oven, and I had to leave mine in there for 20 minutes to get results. Glad to hear it worked for you!
Johndoejohndoes

Post Posted: 04/16/13 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbacks_Nation wrote:
Johndoejohndoes wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:

Thank you so much!

Glad it worked! Do you use an electric or gas oven? I use a gas oven, and I had to leave mine in there for 20 minutes to get results. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Electric Oven

Ps. How do you make a hat that kind of stinks smell better?

Febreze or do you have another method?
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/18/13 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably not a great idea, but I'm trying this out on my Atlanta Braves cap with a patch glued on the side. It's the Civil Rights one.

I'll let you guys know in 15 minutes....
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 04/18/13 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cap turned out fine and shrunk accordingly.
desinho

Post Posted: 04/20/13 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Wet down" how? Soak it through and through? Spray it?
Page 7 of 11   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: