Removing glue residueView previous topic :: View next topic  
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/12/16 10:42 pm    Post subject: Removing glue residue Reply with quote
I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Lately, every hat I get has glue residue drops that have soaked through to the front side of the crown. Sometimes, I can just scratch it off with a nail. Is there a safe easy way to remove this stuff, without affecting the glue holding the buckram?
TonyPlush26
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/12/16 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got two caps with this issue, haven't tried doing anything about it yet though so I'll be following this.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/13/16 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use an explorer. Google "dental hygiene explorer" and look at the images. It works like a champ. Been using one for years. I pair that with tweezers.
Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/14/16 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Click. I'll have to look into that.
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/14/16 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
Thanks, Click. I'll have to look into that.

Tweezers alone should do some good.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/06/17 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any new wisdom on this subject? I have a crappy chino Cubs WS cap from last year that I don't care much about, so was experimenting with. I removed the WS patch in an attempt to make it a "normal" on-field cap, but now of course I have a glue residue problem. The patch itself is intact and I'm saving for later use with a transplant, but I would like to get rid of this glue if possible. Tweezers worked on some of the larger areas, but I have a dark stain in some of the other areas that needs to be loosened up somehow to get it to even be ready to work w/ tweezers. A soak in water followed by scrubbing with Dawn dish liquid did nothing. Any other ideas? I have a magic eraser that I'm wondering if it might be pressed into service.

Either way due to the crappy chinese poly, I don't have high hopes for this cap - it's already got that ugly-ass "ripple" thing going on with the fabric on the visor - but I'm kind of curious if I can get something to work to get the glue off just out of morbid curiosity.

Thanks.
mattman55

Post Posted: 07/06/17 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hot water, a toothpick, tweezers, and some patience. Pour hot water into a glass. Dip a washcloth into the water and blot the glue spot. The hot water will make the glue soft. Take the toothpick and gently pick at the spot until it starts to raise. Be very careful to pick at the glue and not the material of the cap around the glue. Then grab the raised part of the glue spot with a pair of tweezers. You may need to repeat this process multiple times. The key is patience, but it works every time.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/06/17 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mattman55 wrote:
Hot water, a toothpick, tweezers, and some patience. Pour hot water into a glass. Dip a washcloth into the water and blot the glue spot. The hot water will make the glue soft. Take the toothpick and gently pick at the spot until it starts to raise. Be very careful to pick at the glue and not the material of the cap around the glue. Then grab the raised part of the glue spot with a pair of tweezers. You may need to repeat this process multiple times. The key is patience, but it works every time.

A mini-steamer works really well to loosen the glue too.
dbacks_Nation
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 07/10/17 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on the patch, and the glue. I've had a lot of luck with acetone if you need to remove glue from a Chromaflex patch, but patches that were stitched we can use a type of Goof Off on it.

It's important to first figure out the chemical make up of the glue, and to see what its base is.
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: