Soften front of hat?View previous topic :: View next topic  
OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/04/18 5:37 am    Post subject: Soften front of hat? Reply with quote
Hi all, probably a stupid question, but does anyone know of a way to soften the front of a hat, where the sweatband is? I have a few hats that are good fitting everywhere except at the front. Sizing is fine, just that the front of the sweatband is a bit hard against my forehead. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
tducken

Post Posted: 10/04/18 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same problem. The front sweatband area is certainly not the softest. Definitely in for answers.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/04/18 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm assuming this issue is more common with Chino caps? I've dealt with it very rarely on my MUSA's though it's happening a bit more often with stiffer MUSA w/IM construction.

If I notice a little discomfort on my forehead or my GF tells me my cap is leaving a mark, I steam the cap and immediately put it on. That can be enough to fix the problem if the fit is a bit snug as the brim will automatically adjust to your head shape when warm and damp.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/04/18 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm assuming this issue is more common with Chino caps? I've dealt with it very rarely on my MUSA's though it's happening a bit more often with stiffer MUSA w/IM construction.

If I notice a little discomfort on my forehead or my GF tells me my cap is leaving a mark, I steam the cap and immediately put it on. That can be enough to fix the problem if the fit is a bit snug as the brim will automatically adjust to your head shape when warm and damp. I have to manually shape the brim on a looser cap.
OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/04/18 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

If I notice a little discomfort on my forehead or my GF tells me my cap is leaving a mark, I steam the cap and immediately put it on. That can be enough to fix the problem if the fit is a bit snug as the brim will automatically adjust to your head shape when warm and damp.

Thanks, I’ll give this a go. Yes, it is the Chinese made ones. My other hats are made in Vietnam and Bangladesh. These I have no trouble with. Unfortunately I don’t have any made in the USA 😥 Except my very first fitted from 1999. Best fitting hat ever. But it’s a bit worn and ratty, but it does come out sometimes.
OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/04/18 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:

So do you mean steam just the front sweatband area, or the whole thing?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/04/18 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OzYankee wrote:

Get a deep saucepan like pictured below and fill it about a third. Put the cap on as pictured; the more brim directly over the water the better. Bring the water close to a boil and then turn down to medium; this will produce a steady supply of steam. Leave the cap on until the brim is pliable; should only take a few minutes. Throw the cap on your head at that point.

I can only vouch for this method with MUSA caps. Chino's are notorious for being unfixable without taking drastic measures. Some people have said that tossing them in the dryer helps but I never keep Chino caps long enough to work on them so I can't vouch for that.

OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/05/18 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that. I might try one of my Chinos that I rarely wear as a guinea pig and if that’s successful then try one of my better ones.
OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/20/18 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
OzYankee wrote:

Get a deep saucepan like pictured below and fill it about a third. Put the cap on as pictured; the more brim directly over the water the better. Bring the water close to a boil and then turn down to medium; this will produce a steady supply of steam. Leave the cap on until the brim is pliable; should only take a few minutes. Throw the cap on your head at that point.

I can only vouch for this method with MUSA caps. Chino's are notorious for being unfixable without taking drastic measures. Some people have said that tossing them in the dryer helps but I never keep Chino caps long enough to work on them so I can't vouch for that.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but will the steam affect the shape of the crown?
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/20/18 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OzYankee wrote:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but will the steam affect the shape of the crown?

Not a stupid question at all. I'm super careful when working with caps myself. Steam on its own shouldn't have any long term affect on the crown. Bend a steamed brim however and that will both lower the crown slightly and also make the fit noticeably looser. So long as you just throw the cap on your head after steaming and are very gentle with the brim you should have minimal impact on crown height.
OzYankee

Post Posted: 10/20/18 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guy Gadbois wrote:
OzYankee wrote:

Not a stupid question at all. I'm super careful when working with caps myself. Steam on its own shouldn't have any long term affect on the crown. Bend a steamed brim however and that will both lower the crown slightly and also make the fit noticeably looser. So long as you just throw the cap on your head after steaming and are very gentle with the brim you should have minimal impact on crown height.

Thanks for all of your help. You have been a great source of information. Now it’s time to give it a go 🤞🏻🙏🏻
Page 1 of 1   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: