2012 On Field RetrosView previous topic :: View next topic  
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/25/12 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Spike24 wrote:
Dude, I loved that black billed cap..it was a favorite of mine and disappeared. I wonder if the Pirates will ever try and wear those ugly shaped caps with stripes around them. One thing I never knew a recently learned was that the Pirates got stars from their team captain, and by the coach to put on their caps for doing well in games as a hitter, or getting a win as a pitcher. It's like Ohio State football, and how the players get buckeyes stickers for top plays. I wonder if any team would ever bring that back. I don't think I could imagine Josh Hamilton with a hat with stars all over it for dropping so many bombs. I guess it might be cool, plus they started moving that direction with the AllStar Stars for this years AllStar game. New Era dropped the ball on getting the Authentics out for the public to buy. I can't stand those crap stars. If anybody has a hat that the stars looked good on, than I want to see it. I will post my crap AllStar star hat to compare.

To answer your question about the Pirates caps, they wore their "Pillbox" caps a few times in 2010. At first they used the American Needle versions with the stars on the front and then they switch to New Era's. I don't know if they wore them in 2011, I never noticed. I'll bet you their team store has them in stock. I have a vintage authentic yellow crown version coming in the mail right now.

I think Hat Club has them too, I thought I saw an email about it as well I know they have carried both the black and yellow versions in the past.
AARON
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 02/25/12 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
Spike24 wrote:
Dude, I loved that black billed cap..it was a favorite of mine and disappeared. I wonder if the Pirates will ever try and wear those ugly shaped caps with stripes around them. One thing I never knew a recently learned was that the Pirates got stars from their team captain, and by the coach to put on their caps for doing well in games as a hitter, or getting a win as a pitcher. It's like Ohio State football, and how the players get buckeyes stickers for top plays. I wonder if any team would ever bring that back. I don't think I could imagine Josh Hamilton with a hat with stars all over it for dropping so many bombs. I guess it might be cool, plus they started moving that direction with the AllStar Stars for this years AllStar game. New Era dropped the ball on getting the Authentics out for the public to buy. I can't stand those crap stars. If anybody has a hat that the stars looked good on, than I want to see it. I will post my crap AllStar star hat to compare.

To answer your question about the Pirates caps, they wore their "Pillbox" caps a few times in 2010. At first they used the American Needle versions with the stars on the front and then they switch to New Era's. I don't know if they wore them in 2011, I never noticed. I'll bet you their team store has them in stock. I have a vintage authentic yellow crown version coming in the mail right now.

I think Hat Club has them too, I thought I saw an email about it as well I know they have carried both the black and yellow versions in the past.

http://www.hatclub.com/sports-baseball-mlb-teams-pittsburgh-pirates/pillbox-pirates-black-gold-11704

Although it has the flag and the batterman logo
DGP2005
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/25/12 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually just picked up a Pirates pillbox cap. It doesn't have a batterman logo or NE flag. The cap is actually surprisingly very comfortable.

Untitled by dglennparker, on Flickr

Untitled by dglennparker, on Flickr
lhg39
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/25/12 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What store is carrying the Yellow Pirates pillbox?
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/27/12 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Voting has begun for the Padres 2012 Turn Back The Clock uniforms. The link is here:
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/sd/fan_forum/retro.jsp
Kool Herc
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 02/27/12 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
Voting has begun for the Padres 2012 Turn Back The Clock uniforms. The link is here:

Both my choices are losing Sad

1976 Cy Young and 1984 NL champs for the win.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/27/12 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no idea how the 1984 uni is losing to the boring 1989. It was WAY ahead when I first voted. I thing someone is cheating by voting over and over again.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/27/12 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
I have no idea how the 1984 uni is losing to the boring 1989. It was WAY ahead when I first voted. I thing someone is cheating by voting over and over again.

Probably but when's the last time the late 80's set were on field? It may be desire for something different or someone in the team shop clicking the option that would let them flog a new set of retros to the same customers. Wink

Jerseys aside I would love both the 1969 hat and the 1985 hat in USA made performance poly (I can dream...)
Royal Laegotti
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/29/12 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:

Any idea if these will have the batterman on back?
LEROY712
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/29/12 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Royal Laegotti wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

I hope not but, if New Era makes them it will be almost certain to have the MLB logoman. If the Padres ask another manufacturer to make them we could actually see accurate reproductions! They will be hard to get though.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/29/12 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LEROY712 wrote:
Royal Laegotti wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

I hope not but, if New Era makes them it will be almost certain to have the MLB logoman. If the Padres ask another manufacturer to make them we could actually see accurate reproductions! They will be hard to get though.

I would be shocked if they end up with New Era caps, and made in USA. I think the turn-around time is just too short. Given what happened with many TBTC games last reason, it will probably be California Custom Caps with uni's made by AIS or Bobcat Athletic doing both. The 90s game and MAYBE the 80s game might have enough time to have New Era & Majestic. The 70s game just seems too soon. Given the boxy profile of the California Custom Caps, the "bell" might have more of the true bell shape that New Era can't seem to get right.
jonwin
Gold Member

Post Posted: 02/29/12 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While the production time for the cut panel hats do take longer than the average 5950, New Era took orders for these hats from hat retailers back in August/September 2011 to have an approximate March 2012 delivery to the retailers that ordered them.

Granted, the hats these retailers ordered will most likely not even be the same ones the players will be wearing (presence of New Era flag on side, batterman on back, etc), it'd be safe to guess that New Era prepared for these TBTC games and at least got a heads up from the Padres that they'd be wearing these hats for 2012 season; and thus produced the appropriate amount for the team and possibly team shop.

It's really just the cut panel hats that would take a longer time to produce. All of the other hats are standard 5950 construction and shouldn't take any longer to make than a regular custom order.

I agree though, these hats will mos def be China-made. Maybe...maybe the ones the players will be wearing will end up being USA-made but that's a stretch considering how long USA production takes in general.

Insomniac186 wrote:
LEROY712 wrote:
Royal Laegotti wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:

I would be shocked if they end up with New Era caps, and made in USA. I think the turn-around time is just too short. Given what happened with many TBTC games last reason, it will probably be California Custom Caps with uni's made by AIS or Bobcat Athletic doing both. The 90s game and MAYBE the 80s game might have enough time to have New Era & Majestic. The 70s game just seems too soon. Given the boxy profile of the California Custom Caps, the "bell" might have more of the true bell shape that New Era can't seem to get right.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/29/12 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably Chinese models but the Dodgers did a similar fan vote last year and while the first game was sourced outside NE and Majestic the Brooklyn hats were USA made and did make it to retail.

I am willing accept battermen and mild inaccuracies (even a higher price point) for USA poly.

Any word on the Astros and Rangers retros and whether they were offered to retailers?
XclickX
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 02/29/12 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any word on the Astros and Rangers retros and whether they were offered to retailers?[/quote]

The Astros will be wearing a throwback uniform for each Friday home game in 2012. Every month they will be switching the throwback uniform. So 6 throwback uniforms should be available for the Astors this year, starting with the Colt 45's in the month of April. We should be seeing 6 TBTC caps for the Astros this year. Since this was planned in 2011 I assume each cap will be available for retail. I know i'll be picking up the all orange one from the 70's.
jonwin
Gold Member

Post Posted: 03/01/12 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't heard anything recently from New Era regarding the Astros and Rangers. I'd also assume all the hats would be offered to retailers but heading into March, it's kind of late. New Era sent out the memo and order info for the Angels hats in the beginning of February last year.

So there's one of two possibilities here:

While the team will have already been wearing the TBTC hats, they won't be be available in retailer's sites/shops until later (maybe around May-June? The only exception could be the Astros' website/fan shops)

Or New Era will have already made a certain quantity of hats for each TBTC and they will be available to retailers on a first come (first order technically) first serve system and they'll send out the memo pretty soon. Which would be pretty lame imo so I hope this is not the case.

Hat Guru wrote:
Probably Chinese models but the Dodgers did a similar fan vote last year and while the first game was sourced outside NE and Majestic the Brooklyn hats were USA made and did make it to retail.

I am willing accept battermen and mild inaccuracies (even a higher price point) for USA poly.

Any word on the Astros and Rangers retros and whether they were offered to retailers?
Page 3 of 74   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: