Say BYE-BYE to the NE-flag logo on the side of your CoopCollView previous topic :: View next topic  
Fudopi
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/24/14 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ChrisBoshDino wrote:
Tubby34 wrote:
Only ones ever sewn were just after 9-11, unless the site had them custom embroidered .

Trust me, probably doesn't have a lot of glue and if you leave it on your car dashboard for 20 mins you can probably just peel it off.

m.lids.com/MLB/Detroit-Tigers/20334540

So basically ur saying it's not stiched and that it's glued. Do you own this or possibly a World Series hat?

I have that exact one from 2011 and a pirates one from 2013. They're both stuck on with adhesive. Pretty much any patch that's on an on field hat that was made recently is done like that.

You could just peel it off if you really wanted to bad enough, but it would leave a terrible looking glue stain.

maybe you could try it if you don't care about the end result too much, but I wouldn't advise it.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/29/17 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checked EllisBurks88's instructions/photos before removing a flag so I figured bumping this thread with my own after-photos made sense. Patch is on the other side (the wrong side IMO but it'll have to do) and the cap looks much less cluttered now.

Happier with this effort than my first one: whenever I ran into a wall on the exterior stitching I'd switch over to the interior's material for a little digging so I wouldn't damage any visible poly. I also used a pair of small scissors to cut loose threads rather than just tug them. Some glittery material went everywhere on the cap during the removal process and a bit remained even after I cleaned up. I think it makes the logo shadow more visible than it otherwise would be.

Big Cappi

Post Posted: 08/30/17 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks great!
I doubt anyone would notice unless they were really looking for it.

One of these days I bet NE will figure out a way to integrate the flag with the cap stitching so that no one can be able to do this anymore. I'm surprised they have not started embossing it in with some kind of ink or dye.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/17 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Cappi wrote:
Looks great!
I doubt anyone would notice unless they were really looking for it.

One of these days I bet NE will figure out a way to integrate the flag with the cap stitching so that no one can be able to do this anymore. I'm surprised they have not started embossing it in with some kind of ink or dye.

Thanks man. I'm kind of regretting not blowing $45 on the patch-free version OPACY was selling earlier since the black hides the shadow so well. Might check to see if they have any stock in back somewhere when I go to another game.

And I was thinking the same thing regarding NE finding ways to prevent people from removing the flag. But I think it's in their best interest to allow it since the vast majority of people would never do it and preventing it might lose them some sales to people like me.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/17 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice job, Guy. It's a cool looking hat.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/17 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
Nice job, Guy. It's a cool looking hat.

Thanks, Scott. I've warmed up considerably to the Happy Bird since joining the forum but seeing the original nineties bird in person on poly has me remembering how much I love this cap. The solid black and more conservative logo also fit better with OPACY's general vibe IMO so I'm glad they put the patch on a TBTC.
Scott8030
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/17 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm the opposite. Love the cartoon bird logo. The late 80s/early 90s bird doesn't do much for me.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 08/30/17 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scott8030 wrote:
I'm the opposite. Love the cartoon bird logo. The late 80s/early 90s bird doesn't do much for me.

There are at least a couple other guys on here who also prefer the early nineties bird but I know that I'm in the minority nonetheless. The Happy Bird really is an iconic logo and all the various colorways that go with it are part of the O's identity as well. I also don't really care for any of the other birds they used before going back to the Happy Bird so I do think it was a significant improvement when they switched back in '12.
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 08/31/17 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not gonna lie. I skimmed the title of this thread, which I thought was new, and had hoped the whole flag idea on ACs had been scrapped after only 1 year! 😩
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/08/17 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Cappi wrote:

Well, I found something of a poison pill during my latest de-flagging. Hidden beneath the visible stitching on this '17 Rockies cap was a small line of fine stitching that literally required me to dig to make any inroads (this wasn't anchor stitching either as the placement was different and the fabric wasn't very strong, just dense). Hadn't seen anything like this on the other caps I'd worked on previously and I consider myself pretty lucky that the job ended up looking as clean as it did. Hopefully this is just a one-off and not something NE will be incorporating into their regular logo construction.

Erie Warrior
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/09/17 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That looks so much better, Guy.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/09/17 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erie Warrior wrote:
That looks so much better, Guy.

Thanks, Erie. I remember you asking if I was gonna remove the flag when I first showed photos of this one and me saying that I'd keep it since that was what the on-field looked like (plus, I kind of liked the silver thread). Seeing how effective removing a flag on black poly was made me realize I should get rid of this one too. And the silver is probably too striking as it drew the eye away from the team logo.
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/09/17 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone done red yet? I have a feeling the "shadow" will be too noticeable on a bright color like a red cap.
Guy Gadbois
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/10/17 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fittedguy16 wrote:
Anyone done red yet? I have a feeling the "shadow" will be too noticeable on a bright color like a red cap.

Not yet but I do plan to get to work right away on the burgundy Phils I just ordered from Hat Club. Or is that shade of red too dark to make a good guide?

I do remember my bright royal blue Mets cap not having a prominent shadow after de-flagging. Haven't worn it in a while though since the fit and poly are both sub-par.
Fittedguy16
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 09/10/17 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah my NW Green M's HC release and my monarchs tbtc both look good and theyre both brighter colors. Thinking of deflagging my 2017 jays alt. Think ill give it a shot!
Page 4 of 6   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: