Lids Water and Stain RepellentView previous topic :: View next topic  
hehsy5sy5
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/06/09 3:50 am    Post subject: Lids Water and Stain Repellent Reply with quote
Were these worth getting? I got a can, but still deciding if I should use on my hats or not. Does it work on "acrylic", cause one of my hats are like 30-40% wool and rest % is acrylic, but the can says "safe to use on cotton,wool,leather,suede, and nubuck" but not acryclic so i dont wana mess it up. if anyones wondering, it's the crooks crossbones hat[ http://www.karmaloop.com/products.aspx?ProductID=52595&VendorCode=CNC].

is it safe to use on hats that we don't know the materials used for? like the hats at ecapcity.com and stuff?

other questions are: How much do you spray? i read the directions, but i dunno if i jus spray a small bit fast or spray the hat top to bottom thorougly. to people who used it, how effective is it, and how often do you respray it ? and do you guys do 2 layers or 1 layer of spraying?

sorry so many questions, i looked around but couldn't find very many answers about this...thanks in advance =)
crookedtree
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/06/09 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i use it on every hat i own. i use about 1 can for every 4 hats. its safe to use on that crooks hat, i have sprayed several wool/acrylic blend hats including a crooks with a similar blend. its fine for ecapcity hats as well.
i didnt used to use it until i wore a brand new pinstriped expos hat out and got caught in the rain and the front of the hat warped. ive also hat the wind blow a hat off my head into a puddle and it did not warp at all even though it had never been sprayed. weird.
i only spray each hat once and never re-apply. its hard to tell how effective it really is, i havent really notcied a difference. i kind of use it as an insurance policy.
613mike
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 04/06/09 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is interesting, i personally wouldn't use any of the sprays.
but it's cool to hear they actually do their job, without destroying the quality.
i have heard good things about the new era cap brush, for lint and s'ich.
good luck with the spray buddy, but always, being careful is the most effective.
Fresco
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/06/09 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with crookedtree it works well.
I spray all my fitteds, makes a diffrence
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/06/09 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spray all my hats as well. I like to protect my stuff and my hats are no exception. At $50 a pop I can't wear it without that piece of mind that its protected with something. Just like a car's paint needs wax, a hat needs its own layer of protection imo. Also when spraying ur hats you want to spray about 8-10inches away, you want the spray to mist the hat not submerge it. Be extra carful to not spray too close on the crown or else it will bubble up in some places. I usually spray my hats once but if I wear it often (everyday) for a 2weeks then I spray once every 2weeks. You want it to evenly coat the hat so keep that in mind when applying.
hehsy5sy5
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/06/09 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow thanks for all the info guys! so u guys just spray it once, and never spray it again? doesn't that stuff wear off by like half a year or so though? lol
Fresco
Gold Member

Post Posted: 04/06/09 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on the amount of fitteds you have in your collection.
every 3-4 weeks you should be good
hehsy5sy5
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/07/09 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh one more question....do you spray the bottom part of the brim...? i know you don't spray the inside[we dont right?], but do you spray that part? cuz spraying the outerlayer doesnt get the bottom brim
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/08/09 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure about others but i spray the under side of the brim on my hats. you have to extra careful not to over-spray any part of the brim because their not supposed to get wet but again u want to mist over evenly.
hehsy5sy5
Rookie

Post Posted: 04/08/09 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
B18c_tuner wrote:
I'm not sure about others but i spray the under side of the brim on my hats. you have to extra careful not to over-spray any part of the brim because their not supposed to get wet but again u want to mist over evenly.

so you don't spray much of the brim? just a little?...thanks man
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 04/08/09 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'd say enuff but don't over saturate it, you can do 2 coats if you want. Make sure u wait the 30mintes in between tho.
hehsy5sy5
Rookie

Post Posted: 05/07/09 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i jus got around to spraying my 2nd hat, and i have to say im still having difficulty with it (LOL). im incredibly dumb at this, so i duno if im doing it right. do you hold the spray[pressing down on it so it sprays nonstop] while you spray through the whole thing or do you press it and let go at intervals? i sprayed so i mist it like u told me, but i never know if it sprays onto the whole thing or if im jus spraying the air cuz it doesnt seem to be working. when i spray directly at it, it feels like im spraying one spot to much and mising other spots...

do you spray it at a angle with you lookin down at the hat, or kneeling down at eye level with the hat? ty man, i wished someone made a video demonstrating how to do it ROFL
B18c_tuner
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/07/09 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i agree a vid would be very helpful bit idk how to post a vid lol. it takes time just don't spray too close. you could always practice on older hats if u have any. the way i do it is I get a shirt and place the shirt on a stool and then place the hat on the shirt. the best place to start would be at the top going downwards. I spray 2 panels at once, start with either the 2 right hand side panels or 2 left hand side panels first. that way you don't over spray the crown. over spraying the crown will f up shape of it. I usually hold the spray doing the 2 panels at one time. just pretend like your spray painting an object at about 6-8 inches away. as for the angle it doesn't matter, as long as its an even coat. also 1 coat is good enough, but the 2nd coat won't hurt. DO NOT spray any satin hats, the spray is designed for anything but satin/3m. hope this helps.
newerahats92
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/12/09 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The water and stain repellent isn't exclusively from Lids. Lids made a deal to have their label on the can. There are many companies that do the same.

But on the quality check of the product..........

It is a great product, and I spray everyone of my hats. Lots of local spots such as Hat Club or Just Sports will spray your hat for $1 when you purchase the hat.
Beyonce Klebold
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/12/09 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah Just Sports has been doing it since '04 I think. That's the first time I've heard them referenced on this board, are you from Washington/Oregon?
Page 1 of 2   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Care

Jump to: