Ebbets Field Flannels HatsView previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraser Boy
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/25/13 7:58 am    Post subject: Ebbets Field Flannels Hats Reply with quote
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on acquiring my first Ebbets Field Flannels fitted hat and was curious what the sizing is like opposed to that of New Era's. Just in case, 7 3/8 is my ideal fit in New Era.

Also, if any fellow board members own an Ebbets Field Flannel cap or caps, lets see em in this thread!
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own 8 EFF caps. I mostly love them. Half fit exactly like New Era, the other half are a newer style and are too big. Be careful about using hot water on them to shrink them as the cap color bleeds. My Montreal Royals cap has a light blue M now instead of white. Sad
AARON
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 05/25/13 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a 7 3/4 and have one in said size, it's a bit snug but probably just because of my head size, you should be fine just going true to size
longtimemlbcapcollector
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebbets Field Flannels Hats Reply with quote
Fraser Boy wrote:
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on acquiring my first Ebbets Field Flannels fitted hat and was curious what the sizing is like opposed to that of New Era's. Just in case, 7 3/8 is my ideal fit in New Era.

Also, if any fellow board members own an Ebbets Field Flannel cap or caps, lets see em in this thread!

I have 4 EFF caps @ 7 3/4 and they fit just fine. No matter who makes caps they can always be off but my experience with them has been good and accurate.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
I own 8 EFF caps. I mostly love them. Half fit exactly like New Era, the other half are a newer style and are too big. Be careful about using hot water on them to shrink them as the cap color bleeds. My Montreal Royals cap has a light blue M now instead of white. Sad

Are the ones that are too big 6 panel or 8 panel? I see that they have started offering the 8 panel style.
DGP2005
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The six panels fit true to size for me. The 8-panels seemed to run one size too big. I think it's because the 8-panels sweatbands are really soft leather, and it just isn't as thick as a Cotton sweatband. I like the 6-panels, but I love the 8-panels from EFF. They are really comfortable and are as close to a cap from the early eras of baseball as you are going to get. I would recommend going a size down in 8-panel EFF cap just because since they have no structure you need them to fit a little snug to keep them from sliding around on your head. It's too bad they can't get a liscense to do MLB logos, or that New Era can't see that there's a market for true reproductions of MLBs early caps.
REAZiiN
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:

I wish I read this a month ago... I have the same Montreal Royals cap with the same light blue M haha
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/25/13 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DGP2005 wrote:
The six panels fit true to size for me. The 8-panels seemed to run one size too big. I think it's because the 8-panels sweatbands are really soft leather, and it just isn't as thick as a Cotton sweatband. I like the 6-panels, but I love the 8-panels from EFF. They are really comfortable and are as close to a cap from the early eras of baseball as you are going to get. I would recommend going a size down in 8-panel EFF cap just because since they have no structure you need them to fit a little snug to keep them from sliding around on your head. It's too bad they can't get a liscense to do MLB logos, or that New Era can't see that there's a market for true reproductions of MLBs early caps.

My thoughts exactly.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/25/13 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
ay wrote:

Are the ones that are too big 6 panel or 8 panel? I see that they have started offering the 8 panel style.
all 6 panel. they switched to a different wool and buckram on certain caps, or so it seems.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/26/13 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
jfi wrote:
ay wrote:

all 6 panel. they switched to a different wool and buckram on certain caps, or so it seems.

The material changes because of the difficulty in locating them. A lot of the companies that they've got their fabric and whatnot from go out of business and so they have to go find them somewhere else. How many companies in the USA are making flannel/wool fabric? Not many...
ppm21

Post Posted: 05/26/13 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(L to R: '46 Newark Eagles, '46 Montreal Royals, '54 Santurce Cangrejeros, '50 KC Monarchs)

I have four EFF caps. They're all quite nice. The quality of the construction and the overall workmanship is pretty impeccable. They have nice satin taping and buckram crowns. They're really comfortable, but as you can see, they're substantially different from the stiff crowned New Eras, and as such, they do take some time to get used to.

Sizing is pretty consistent. A 7 5/8 EFF cap actually fits like a 7 5/8 cap, a 7 3/4 cap actually fits like a 7 3/4 cap. This is unlike New Era where a 7 5/8 will often fit like a 7 3/4 or a 7 1/2 will fit like a 7 1/4, and so on and so forth.

I guess the only real knock against them is the price, although EFF does have sales from time to time. And while they are a bit pricy, you do get what you pay for, which in this instance is a really nice ballcap.

Just my two cents.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/26/13 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
ay wrote:
jfi wrote:
ay wrote:

The material changes because of the difficulty in locating them. A lot of the companies that they've got their fabric and whatnot from go out of business and so they have to go find them somewhere else. How many companies in the USA are making flannel/wool fabric? Not many...
not knocking them, just answering the original poster's question.

separate question: EFF designs and chooses the materiels, etc., but California Custom Caps makes them yeah? And years back it was Cooperstown Ball Cap Co.
Fraser Boy
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/26/13 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off, thanks for all the feedback. Based on your responses it sounds like the EFF caps fit true to size with the exception of some 8 panels which tend to run a size big. I'm not exactly sure if the hat I was considering getting is an 8 panel or not but I'll be sure to check before purchasing.
Sauced
Gold Member

Post Posted: 05/26/13 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently bought my first Ebbets cap, a 6-Panel 1931 Homestead Grays, and I LOVE the hat. My 7 is true to size and absolutely love the construction and how they reproduce it true to the era. The price is a tad high but its a very high quality made cap and didn't hurt one bit for the craftsmanship they provide. Ill post a picture of it soon.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 05/26/13 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
ay wrote:
jfi wrote:
ay wrote:

not knocking them, just answering the original poster's question.

separate question: EFF designs and chooses the materiels, etc., but California Custom Caps makes them yeah? And years back it was Cooperstown Ball Cap Co.

I know that they've worked with Cooperstown Ballcap Co. and Roman, but I don't know about now.

Last edited by Insomniac186 on 06/21/13 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 8   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: