Ebbets Field Flannels HatsView previous topic :: View next topic  
tducken

Post Posted: 09/05/18 10:38 pm    Post subject: Dark Tourist Reply with quote
Been watching this series on Netflix and I noticed the presenter periodically wears Ebbets field hats (Kansas City Katz, SF Seals).
donkeydrop

Post Posted: 09/28/18 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
beautiful hats! Did the players used to wear EF caps before New Era, Sports Specialties , Roman Pro etc?
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/28/18 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
donkeydrop wrote:
beautiful hats! Did the players used to wear EF caps before New Era, Sports Specialties , Roman Pro etc?

No, EFF has only been around since 1988. But they have tracked down a lot of historical materials, machinery, etc. and are dedicated to creating older style authentic items.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/30/18 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jfi wrote:
donkeydrop wrote:

No, EFF has only been around since 1988. But they have tracked down a lot of historical materials, machinery, etc. and are dedicated to creating older style authentic items.

They have been worn in Minor League and old Pacific Coast League-themed turn back the clock games for MLB. It's been a while though, I believe the last time was the Mariners Vs. Angels in Seattle. I want to say it was in 2011 or 2012 or so.
jchcollins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 10/22/18 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a kid in the late 1980's, I wrote away for (pre-internet) and got in the mail one of the first EFF catalogs, because I had seen an article about them in Sports Illustrated. The assumption then was always that as they got bigger they would one day get an MLB license and then could make real, true-to-form authentic throwbacks for historical teams like the Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Cards, Yankees, Boston, etc. Then as time went by, we slowy realized that this was never going to happen. For a brief period of time in the late 1990's, EFF was allowed to team up with Mitchell & Ness to make retro MLB caps. They did the sewing, and the caps came out under the M&N name. I had an absolutely gorgeous, to-die-for Jackie Robinson late 40's era Brooklyn Dodgers cap. I wore it out and because of the authentic leather sweatband & wool, it shrunk and became unwearable. By this time the EFF, M&N experiment was deemed over with I guess by MLB and the licenses were revoked, so I was never able to replace that cap. Occasionally one would come up on eBay in the years thereafter, but for ridiculous prices, $100 or more - that were too rich for my blood for a cap. You don't see them often anymore.

Anyhow, I said all that to say this - the exact reason that EFF has never gotten more than a coffee cup call-up to the Majors in terms of their license is one of the great sports marketing mysteries to me. They would unquestionably make the most bad-ass, hands down awesome retro caps you could ever dream of. Why MLB leaves this to New Era (who gets retro caps wrong more often than right) or other imitators like American Needle - who themselves butcher and bastardize many old designs - instead of giviing EFF a license simply makes no sense to me. Maybe their research has shown that there is not the "market" they desire in this type of produciton for only retro and Cooperstown style caps exclusively? I don't know. Failing that, I think there is some controversial story somewhere that someone is keeping under wraps as to why MLB does not get along with EFF.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 10/28/18 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchcollins wrote:
As a kid in the late 1980's, I wrote away for (pre-internet) and got in the mail one of the first EFF catalogs, because I had seen an article about them in Sports Illustrated. The assumption then was always that as they got bigger they would one day get an MLB license and then could make real, true-to-form authentic throwbacks for historical teams like the Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Cards, Yankees, Boston, etc. Then as time went by, we slowy realized that this was never going to happen. For a brief period of time in the late 1990's, EFF was allowed to team up with Mitchell & Ness to make retro MLB caps. They did the sewing, and the caps came out under the M&N name. I had an absolutely gorgeous, to-die-for Jackie Robinson late 40's era Brooklyn Dodgers cap. I wore it out and because of the authentic leather sweatband & wool, it shrunk and became unwearable. By this time the EFF, M&N experiment was deemed over with I guess by MLB and the licenses were revoked, so I was never able to replace that cap. Occasionally one would come up on eBay in the years thereafter, but for ridiculous prices, $100 or more - that were too rich for my blood for a cap. You don't see them often anymore.

Anyhow, I said all that to say this - the exact reason that EFF has never gotten more than a coffee cup call-up to the Majors in terms of their license is one of the great sports marketing mysteries to me. They would unquestionably make the most bad-ass, hands down awesome retro caps you could ever dream of. Why MLB leaves this to New Era (who gets retro caps wrong more often than right) or other imitators like American Needle - who themselves butcher and bastardize many old designs - instead of giviing EFF a license simply makes no sense to me. Maybe their research has shown that there is not the "market" they desire in this type of produciton for only retro and Cooperstown style caps exclusively? I don't know. Failing that, I think there is some controversial story somewhere that someone is keeping under wraps as to why MLB does not get along with EFF.

EFF never did MLB before because Jerry of EFF and Peter of Mitchell & Ness are friends and help each-other, and I believe they had a Grentleman's Agreement not to step on each-other's toes. Now M&N is owned by Adidas which is why they can't do caps, because Adidas can't do MLB fitted caps. The one reason why EFF doesn't do business with MLB nowadays is because EFF is a small business. How many small businesses do you see doing business with MLB? Exactly. MLB licensing is not small-business friendly.
jake2701
New Era Addict

Post Posted: 10/30/18 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
jchcollins wrote:

EFF never did MLB before because Jerry of EFF and Peter of Mitchell & Ness are friends and help each-other, and I believe they had a Grentleman's Agreement not to step on each-other's toes. Now M&N is owned by Adidas which is why they can't do caps, because Adidas can't do MLB fitted caps. The one reason why EFF doesn't do business with MLB nowadays is because EFF is a small business. How many small businesses do you see doing business with MLB? Exactly. MLB licensing is not small-business friendly.

We need a new blog post! 😬
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 11/02/18 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jake2701 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
jchcollins wrote:

We need a new blog post! 😬

I wish! I just don't have enough time anymore. Sad I have a demanding job and too many other side projects. One of these days when things calm down...

If anyone is on Facebook, search for my group "Pro Cap Collectors".
soxkrazy
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 12/06/18 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found what had been a grail of mine - a New Britain Red Sox cap - on eBay nearly three years ago. I was happily surprised that EFF released a NBRS cap a few weeks ago, but I waffled about getting one, as I thought it would be overkill. Still, I felt the need to have a backup, just in case. I took advantage of the 20%-off sale this past weekend, and the cap came today. I did some research on this forum and other review sites and determined it was fine to go with my normal 7 1/2 size. I don't want to rip EFF, especially since they feature MUSA products, but what I received today was not good. I couldn't get the cap over my dome, and I don't think one size up would do the trick. I think I'd need to go up at least two sizes. The wool looks and feels like the bad New Era poly, and the shape and appearance of the cap reminds me of a Chinese-made New Era Low Profile cap. Also, the embroidered NB is brutal. The 'B' is sloppily sewn and fat. This will be returned, and I am now to afraid to order any other EFF cap, even though I did see a few I liked. Totally disappointed and surprised at the poor attempt on this reproduction. The pictures on the site of all of their caps make them look soft and comfortable. This was not the case with the NB cap.

EFF on the left, New Era (circa 1993/94) model on the right.

Up close look at 'NB' on the New Era model.

Up close look at the 'NB' on the EFF model. Note the fat, disproportionate 'B.'
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/09/18 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They use "wool serge" fabric on caps from after the early 70s. The crowns on most of those are low and rounder. Not sure why they do it that way, I prefer the the crowns on their normal caps.
Fudopi
Gold Member

Post Posted: 12/25/18 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I haven’t posted in a while because I’ve slowed down buying caps a lot in recent years (mostly because of what NE has done to them...), but my brother just gave me my first EFF cap and I love it. I’ll come back and post pics later. It’s the 1954 Michigan State. Almost makes me want to buy a couple more and stop wearing new eras.
go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 12/27/18 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ebbets gets details wrong all the time. I’m dubious they would do a better job than New Era. (Not sticking up for New Era mind you). Roman Pro was the best company for the Cooperstown caps for a lot of obvious reasons.
go_gosox
Rookie

Post Posted: 12/27/18 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ebbets gets details wrong all the time. I’m dubious they would do a better job than New Era. (Not sticking up for New Era mind you). Roman Pro was the best company for the Cooperstown caps for a lot of obvious reasons.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 12/30/18 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
go_gosox wrote:

Roman got a lot wrong as well. The 50s Brooklyn Dodgers and the 1980-84 Padres logos come to mind.
el_gmac
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 01/14/19 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
go_gosox wrote:

Roman got a lot wrong as well. The 50s Brooklyn Dodgers and the 1980-84 Padres logos come to mind.

the 77-82 Giants too
Page 7 of 8   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: