Does Ebbets Field make MLB replicas?View previous topic :: View next topic  
longtimemlbcapcollector
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/20/13 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
EFF will do a one-off cap of whatever you want for $100, so I'm guessing they could do an MLB cap if it's not made for retail. If you want it bad enough, you gotta pay the price...

Really Paul? I would pay $100.00 for a Brooklyn Dodgers and a New York Giants cap if they would really do it for me!!!!
blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/21/13 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:
That Mets cap is gorgeous.

They may have been the best repro caps ever made. The "NY" looks very much like it did in the 1960s: wider logo, stringier.

I may add that New Era did some low-profile all-wool caps of bygone eras. I don't know when they manufactured these - early 2000s? (I'm not talking about the 19Twenty caps.) They were also very good, despite the lack of a leather sweatband. I have a 1931 White Sox cap of this model. I saw a 1950s NY Giants cap on Ebay a few weeks ago, but was outbid.

BTW, I'm selling a M&N/EFF 1959 Sox cap (size 7 1/4) which is boootiful but doesn't fit me. Look for it on Ebay!

Ah the Melton Wool line, they were around late 90's and early 00's. The 19Twenty's are the same hat just with the flag on the side and custom designs.

I have two of the New Era melton wool releases. They seem to have thicker wool than the 19Twenty version - especially on the bill.

Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/21/13 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
blueturf wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
'74 Twins wrote:
That Mets cap is gorgeous.

They may have been the best repro caps ever made. The "NY" looks very much like it did in the 1960s: wider logo, stringier.

I may add that New Era did some low-profile all-wool caps of bygone eras. I don't know when they manufactured these - early 2000s? (I'm not talking about the 19Twenty caps.) They were also very good, despite the lack of a leather sweatband. I have a 1931 White Sox cap of this model. I saw a 1950s NY Giants cap on Ebay a few weeks ago, but was outbid.

BTW, I'm selling a M&N/EFF 1959 Sox cap (size 7 1/4) which is boootiful but doesn't fit me. Look for it on Ebay!

Ah the Melton Wool line, they were around late 90's and early 00's. The 19Twenty's are the same hat just with the flag on the side and custom designs.

I have two of the New Era melton wool releases. They seem to have thicker wool than the 19Twenty version - especially on the bill.

The bills were just thicker on those, they were massive beasts.

And don't get your hopes up on the EFF one offs, someone (not me) tried to get one of the major hat retailers to do a run of NE hats from an early 90's MiLB team, EFF effectively blocked it from being made by NE so he went to EFF and spoke to Jerry and was told they don't do one offs (despite ample evidence they do) and that if he wanted that hat he had or order 24 pieces.

I've dealt with Jerry on and off over the years and always found him to be warm, engaging and helpful. Over the last two years I have been hearing more and more stories from a variety of sources that paint him as angry, frustrated and cantankerous. I hope these are isolated incidents and that you can get your hats '74 Twins.
ay
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/21/13 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been buying eff caps for only a few years and find whoever runs their Facebook page to be a miserable person angry at anyone who asks a question on Facebook. It's actually pretty awful.
jfi
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/21/13 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Their website currently indicates they will do single run hats for $99. A run of 24 will get you wholesale pricing. Incidentally, I was just trading some emails with Jerry this past week related to a custom jersey and he seemed very reasonable and helpful.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/21/13 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jerry and Lisa at EFF have always been kind and generous to me and answer all questions. They definitley do one-offs. They didn't for a while but just recently brought it back. I haven't asked about MLB-like logos though, but I assume they can since they're not retail. They're doing a 1962 San Jose Bees for me at the moment.

As for the Facebook questions, I think they might get a little cranky because they get asked the same questions a million times and they could easily be answered by viewing their website or doing a little research on Google, and sometimes people call them out by saying "where's my stuff I ordered" instead of emailing their customer service.

Post Posted: 09/21/13 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:
The Ballcap Blog has history and recent interview on EFF. They don't currently have MLB license, but at some time in past they made some majors caps, i have a Mets cap.

And this lack of an MLB license precludes them from making anything relating to the PCL San Diego Padres or Los Angeles Angels. They have gotten around this various ways, like only manufacturing jerseys that say "San Diego", but no "Padres" or "Angels" anywhere. I don't think they're allowed to do the interlocking SD or LA anymore either.

They were making PCL Padres hats within the last year as the Team Shop at Petco had them when I was there in April and I saw them on their website too as I hemmed and hawed on buying one.

They made the LA Angels hats for the TBTC the Mariners did last year, prevented NE from selling them and shut down HC's reproductions last fall.

Which PCL Padres cap was it they sold? I live in San Diego and the only one I recall seeing in the stores (I never saw these at Petco) were the gray caps with the navy bill that had "SAN DIEGO" with the red frown underneath it (my local Hat Club store has a few of these for sale). This was an example of getting around the no Padres rule.

The last EFF PCL San Diego cap made was last year and was an all red with white piping cap that I believe represented the 1940 team. The only other PCL Padres cap made in recent years are the 1948 cap New Era just produced for this year's TBTC game and a 1949 black and orange cap (similar to the 1948 PCL cap, same "S" design) that EFF produced in a limited run back in 2010 (this was before the hammer came down from MLB).
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/22/13 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:
The Ballcap Blog has history and recent interview on EFF. They don't currently have MLB license, but at some time in past they made some majors caps, i have a Mets cap.

And this lack of an MLB license precludes them from making anything relating to the PCL San Diego Padres or Los Angeles Angels. They have gotten around this various ways, like only manufacturing jerseys that say "San Diego", but no "Padres" or "Angels" anywhere. I don't think they're allowed to do the interlocking SD or LA anymore either.

They were making PCL Padres hats within the last year as the Team Shop at Petco had them when I was there in April and I saw them on their website too as I hemmed and hawed on buying one.

They made the LA Angels hats for the TBTC the Mariners did last year, prevented NE from selling them and shut down HC's reproductions last fall.

Which PCL Padres cap was it they sold? I live in San Diego and the only one I recall seeing in the stores (I never saw these at Petco) were the gray caps with the navy bill that had "SAN DIEGO" with the red frown underneath it (my local Hat Club store has a few of these for sale). This was an example of getting around the no Padres rule.

The last EFF PCL San Diego cap made was last year and was an all red with white piping cap that I believe represented the 1940 team. The only other PCL Padres cap made in recent years are the 1948 cap New Era just produced for this year's TBTC game and a 1949 black and orange cap (similar to the 1948 PCL cap, same "S" design) that EFF produced in a limited run back in 2010 (this was before the hammer came down from MLB).

The EFF cap at Petco was navy blue with a plain red "S", which I bought it there in 2011. I went to Pecto last May and they were gone. There is another EFF cap for sale there with the same colors but it's not a Padres cap. The team store has a few random non-Padres EFF caps left. Rainiers, Oaks, etc.

Post Posted: 09/22/13 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

The EFF cap at Petco was navy blue with a plain red "S", which I bought it there in 2011. I went to Pecto last May and they were gone. There is another EFF cap for sale there with the same colors but it's not a Padres cap. The team store has a few random non-Padres EFF caps left. Rainiers, Oaks, etc.

Can you post a picture of the navy blue cap with the red S you bought in 2011? I was not aware they ever had those for sale and had been on the lookout for a long time, and never saw that particular cap for sale on EFF's website ever. I'd love to check out what it looks like.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/22/13 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

Can you post a picture of the navy blue cap with the red S you bought in 2011? I was not aware they ever had those for sale and had been on the lookout for a long time, and never saw that particular cap for sale on EFF's website ever. I'd love to check out what it looks like.

It's the one on the upper right side: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JZDYAZRvaFk/Ud2WWe5VuZI/AAAAAAAABAU/UFTY1WyYg1I/s1600/eff1.jpg

Post Posted: 09/22/13 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

It's the one on the upper right side: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JZDYAZRvaFk/Ud2WWe5VuZI/AAAAAAAABAU/UFTY1WyYg1I/s1600/eff1.jpg

Cool, not sure how I missed that but somehow I did.

BTW, I own this "Holy Grail" cap you have posted on your blogspot:

That's the exact picture used in the eBay auction that had it for sale (and I subsequently purchased).
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/22/13 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

That's the exact picture used in the eBay auction that had it for sale (and I subsequently purchased).

Awesome! We've spoken before, haven't we? I'd love to see more photos of you cap other than that eBay one.

Post Posted: 09/22/13 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Insomniac186 wrote:
6025 wrote:
Hat Guru wrote:
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

Awesome! We've spoken before, haven't we? I'd love to see more photos of you cap other than that eBay one.

No we have not talked. I did post a comment in your blog but you never responded (at least not that I can tell). I do have pictures, but I don't want to thread jack anymore so if you PM me your e-mail address I can just send the pics to you that way.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/24/13 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ay wrote:
I've been buying eff caps for only a few years and find whoever runs their Facebook page to be a miserable person angry at anyone who asks a question on Facebook. It's actually pretty awful.

I have noticed that. I realize (as Insomniac said) that they get asked some annoying or aggressive questions, but it's not hard to have stock responses that are polite. EFF's Facebook comments are 180 degrees from what they sound like on the phone - really nice, considerate, and helpful.

And it's a fact that EFF are a bit slow with the shipping. I understand how people get a little testy, since stuff from Ebay, Minorleagues, and others can come lickety-split. I'm willing to give EFF some leeway because of their superior product, but others are not forgiving.
MadHatta
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/24/13 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about older logos or teams that technically aren't around anymore?

I would pay 99 for a boston bees hat because I feel that I will never see one
Page 2 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: