Does Ebbets Field make MLB replicas?View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadHatta
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/18/13 12:29 am    Post subject: Does Ebbets Field make MLB replicas? Reply with quote
I came across one that looked to be an old St. Louis browns style hat but the website only has older minor league teams. Do they make major league replicas? Any other background on ebbets would be great
Superkit1
Rookie

Post Posted: 09/18/13 6:37 am    Post subject: EFF history Reply with quote
The Ballcap Blog has history and recent interview on EFF. They don't currently have MLB license, but at some time in past they made some majors caps, i have a Mets cap.

Post Posted: 09/18/13 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Superkit1 wrote:
The Ballcap Blog has history and recent interview on EFF. They don't currently have MLB license, but at some time in past they made some majors caps, i have a Mets cap.

And this lack of an MLB license precludes them from making anything relating to the PCL San Diego Padres or Los Angeles Angels. They have gotten around this various ways, like only manufacturing jerseys that say "San Diego", but no "Padres" or "Angels" anywhere. I don't think they're allowed to do the interlocking SD or LA anymore either.
ppm21

Post Posted: 09/18/13 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe they used to make caps for Mitchell & Ness during the 90's.
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/18/13 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
6025 wrote:
Superkit1 wrote:

And this lack of an MLB license precludes them from making anything relating to the PCL San Diego Padres or Los Angeles Angels. They have gotten around this various ways, like only manufacturing jerseys that say "San Diego", but no "Padres" or "Angels" anywhere. I don't think they're allowed to do the interlocking SD or LA anymore either.

They were making PCL Padres hats within the last year as the Team Shop at Petco had them when I was there in April and I saw them on their website too as I hemmed and hawed on buying one.

They made the LA Angels hats for the TBTC the Mariners did last year, prevented NE from selling them and shut down HC's reproductions last fall.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/18/13 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only time EFF has ever done retro MLB caps is when they had a partnership with Mitchell & Ness (or was it Stall & Dean?) about 10-15 years ago.

They were BEAUTIFUL too.

The "St. Louis Browns" cap you say is actually the 1934 San Antonio Missions. (They were, at one time, a minor-league affiliate of the Browns.) The good thing about it is it's a spitting image of the 1941-45 Browns' cap. There are a few other examples of minor league teams having a cap that resembled a big club's - the aforementioned LA Angels and NY Cubans are two - but it seems that MLB puts the kibosh on selling caps that too much resemble a modern-day team's.

The Ideal Cap Company (formerly the Cooperstown Ballcap Company) gets around this, for example, by making caps that simply say "white with red soutache" when the cap pictured is clearly the St. Louis Cardinals cap of the 1920s and 30s.

For "official" repros, MLB uses American Needle, which are about the worst pieces of foreign-made factory-spat pieces of crap you can imagine. God, I hate A.N.

That all said, get an EFF cap! They are great.
MadHatta
Platinum Member

Post Posted: 09/18/13 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you know which one I'm talking about?
ppm21

Post Posted: 09/18/13 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
The only time EFF has ever done retro MLB caps is when they had a partnership with Mitchell & Ness (or was it Stall & Dean?) about 10-15 years ago.

They were BEAUTIFUL too.

The "St. Louis Browns" cap you say is actually the 1934 San Antonio Missions. (They were, at one time, a minor-league affiliate of the Browns.) The good thing about it is it's a spitting image of the 1941-45 Browns' cap. There are a few other examples of minor league teams having a cap that resembled a big club's - the aforementioned LA Angels and NY Cubans are two - but it seems that MLB puts the kibosh on selling caps that too much resemble a modern-day team's.

The Ideal Cap Company (formerly the Cooperstown Ballcap Company) gets around this, for example, by making caps that simply say "white with red soutache" when the cap pictured is clearly the St. Louis Cardinals cap of the 1920s and 30s.

For "official" repros, MLB uses American Needle, which are about the worst pieces of foreign-made factory-spat pieces of crap you can imagine. God, I hate A.N.

That all said, get an EFF cap! They are great.

Yeah, I can't recommend EFF caps highly enough. They're great and they're worth the money. Even if they don't have an MLB license.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/19/13 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my view, Ebbets Field Flannels has always found loopholes to do MLB-like caps but MLB always brings the hammer down on them, which is a damn shame. EFF has done TBTC unis before for PCL-themed games, and once did Yankees old-timers uniforms a few years back. Somehow EFF has never been in MLB's favor.

EFF had a brief partnership with Mitchell & Ness to make caps, which were essentially reproductions of Spalding, McAuliffe, & KM Pro caps (New Era's on-field cap competition prior to 1977). The caps had EFF's crowns with the original McAuliffe 7-sitich visors, and construction and embroidery were done by Roman Pro. Roman Pro did the embroidery for those companies back in the day and still had all the old embroidery patterns. The cap tags were labeled for M&N. Roman Pro was taken over by new owners and driven into the ground not long after the caps were in production, then Mitchell & Ness was bought out by Adidas soon after. Cap production was outsourced, quality was identical to American Needle, probably made in the same factory. MLB then took the cap license away from M&N.

Historically accurate MLB caps (in terms of construction and materials) have never been made since, except for in movies. They are done by Sports Studio and manufactured by California Custom Caps. One day, I hope to own a new MLB cap made of 100% wool with a satin interior and leather sweatband. Unlikely that will ever happen again though. Maybe things will change when that used car salesman from Milwaukee is no longer in charge...
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/19/13 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MadHatta wrote:
So you know which one I'm talking about?

Yep. But I already bought this hat from EFF months ago. My only quibble is that the brim doesn't stay bent the way I like it...kinda goes back to a shallow bend after a while. I'm curious to know if all those caps are like that.
blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/20/13 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: EFF history Reply with quote
Superkit1 wrote:

Are you saying you have a Mets cap made by EFF?

I have an EFF Mets cap that I came across. The guy said he picked it up from a friend that was a collector and EFF specially made it for him. My hunch is that the NY was embroidered on an EFF hat after-market. If you also have one, that would confirm probably confirm my suspicions. (Although Cohen is a Mets fan so it is possible he has done a few of these on side)

blueturf
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/20/13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Insomniac186 wrote:
EFF had a brief partnership with Mitchell & Ness to make caps, which were essentially reproductions of Spalding, McAuliffe, & KM Pro caps (New Era's on-field cap competition prior to 1977). The caps had EFF's crowns with the original McAuliffe 7-sitich visors, and construction and embroidery were done by Roman Pro. Roman Pro did the embroidery for those companies back in the day and still had all the old embroidery patterns. The cap tags were labeled for M&N. Roman Pro was taken over by new owners and driven into the ground not long after the caps were in production, then Mitchell & Ness was bought out by Adidas soon after. Cap production was outsourced, quality was identical to American Needle, probably made in the same factory. MLB then took the cap license away from M&N.

This M&N line were the best caps ever made. They hardly ever come available. Thanks to a tip from a blog post you ran a couple of years ago I was able to pick up a Boston Braves hat on eBay. I haven't seen any listed since.
'74 Twins
Gold Member

Post Posted: 09/20/13 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That Mets cap is gorgeous.

They may have been the best repro caps ever made. The "NY" looks very much like it did in the 1960s: wider logo, stringier.

I may add that New Era did some low-profile all-wool caps of bygone eras. I don't know when they manufactured these - early 2000s? (I'm not talking about the 19Twenty caps.) They were also very good, despite the lack of a leather sweatband. I have a 1931 White Sox cap of this model. I saw a 1950s NY Giants cap on Ebay a few weeks ago, but was outbid.

BTW, I'm selling a M&N/EFF 1959 Sox cap (size 7 1/4) which is boootiful but doesn't fit me. Look for it on Ebay!
Hat Guru
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/20/13 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
'74 Twins wrote:
That Mets cap is gorgeous.

They may have been the best repro caps ever made. The "NY" looks very much like it did in the 1960s: wider logo, stringier.

I may add that New Era did some low-profile all-wool caps of bygone eras. I don't know when they manufactured these - early 2000s? (I'm not talking about the 19Twenty caps.) They were also very good, despite the lack of a leather sweatband. I have a 1931 White Sox cap of this model. I saw a 1950s NY Giants cap on Ebay a few weeks ago, but was outbid.

BTW, I'm selling a M&N/EFF 1959 Sox cap (size 7 1/4) which is boootiful but doesn't fit me. Look for it on Ebay!

Ah the Melton Wool line, they were around late 90's and early 00's. The 19Twenty's are the same hat just with the flag on the side and custom designs.
Insomniac186
Legend/Addict

Post Posted: 09/20/13 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EFF will do a one-off cap of whatever you want for $100, so I'm guessing they could do an MLB cap if it's not made for retail. If you want it bad enough, you gotta pay the price...
Page 1 of 4   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic   neweracaptalk.com Forum Index -> New Era Cap Authentics

Jump to: